Sony PS 350 Direct Drive TT

make believe
mcmitch
United States of America

Sony PS 350 Direct Drive TT

Post by mcmitch » 30 Apr 2019 00:13

This seems to be a topic with no previous answer, but does anyone have a copy of the owner's manual for this TT. I looked in the library and it is not listed.

Thanks

AudioFeline
Australia

Re: Sony PS 350 Direct Drive TT

Post by AudioFeline » 30 Apr 2019 05:42

Welcome Mitch.

All the manuals on this site were scanned and uploaded by generous members to share with others. If there is a missing manual, it's because no one has a copy to scan and upload. There are other sites which might have it, but you will probably find that they will want to charge you for it.

In many cases a manufacturer would make a series of turntable models which are variations of the same turntable (eg. one may be manual, semi-auto and fully-auto). Have a look to see if there is another Sony TT which is similar to the one you have - the manual may be applicable to your model. If you can't find a similar model, you could ask a specific question about the TT here.

[And a big thanks to those who have uploaded documentation to this site. I would also like to encourage anyone who has some audio documentation not in the library to scan it and upload it so others can benefit from it]

mcmitch
United States of America

Post by mcmitch » 30 Apr 2019 22:50

Thanks for this reply. I needed the manual to try to find out what tone arm weight I need using an Ortofon TM 15 needle.

AudioFeline
Australia

Post by AudioFeline » 01 May 2019 12:04

The tracking weight is specified by the cartridge. There is info for the Ortofon TM range in the library, but it doesn't have the TM15 - did you mean to type TM14?

GR Dori

Post by GR Dori » 12 May 2019 21:40

See below...
Last edited by GR Dori on 12 May 2019 22:25, edited 1 time in total.

GR Dori

Post by GR Dori » 12 May 2019 22:23

-->NOT to be confused with the black, fully manual, Belt Drive with variable pitch control PS-LX350H-a 1999 Sony made, Technics SL-1200 "clone"[-in appearance only!]

The Sony PS-350 is identical to the PS-LX3, both introduced in 1981 by Sony. The PS-350 lacks the synchro-record and remote control connections that the PS-LX3 has [synchro-record works with compatible tape decks from Sony made then, and the remote jack connects to an infrared remote control receiver for Sony systems available then. "PLAY" "STOP" and cue up/down are the remote functions for Sony compatible turntables.] I've checked here on VE, an owner's manual for the PS-LX3 isn't available, only service & repair documentation. But you can get the manual for the PS-LX5 which has the exact automated functionality of the PS-LX3 [and PS-350]. The PS-LX5 adds LEDs for speed and repeat indications and Quartz-Lock for speed control, which is more accurate than the Servo-Lock of the LX3/350

In the PS-LX5 manual you'll see how to properly balance and set tracking and anti-skating forces. A recommendation for tracking force is given, but only applies to an optionally supplied [Sony] cartridge. You'll also see diagrams which describe cartridge alignment on the headshell. The cartridge should be square to the headshell, and the stylus tip should be EXACTLY 37.5 millimeters from the collar on the headshell which mounts at the end of the tone arm.

Any brand of cartridge that you can buy will specify its own manufacturer's recommended tracking range [some cartridges give a range like: 1.0~2.0 grams--I would try the middle and set it at 1.5 grams with anti-skating at the same setting]. The adjustment range offered by the tone arms on these turntables [PS-350/PS-LX3/PS-LX5] is from 0 to 3.0 grams.

-I hope this helps!

mcmitch
United States of America

Post by mcmitch » 12 May 2019 22:32

Thanks much to GR Dori. This gives me a lot to think about and to look for. Perfect.