Pioneer PLX-1000

the final frontier
NewOldVinyl

Re: Pioneer PLX-1000

Post by NewOldVinyl » 21 Mar 2019 19:13

jon96789 wrote:
21 Mar 2019 04:54
OK... I came across my first issue with my PLX-1000... I am having a ground problem. When I press the Start/Stop button, there is a momentary hum coming out of the speakers until I release the button. When the PLX-1000 is playing, I do not notice the huim. When I increased the volume by 10dB above what I normally listen on my amp, I can hear a background hum. I checked the cartridge connection and the ground wire is hooked up properly... Any ideas?
Do you have an earth-grounded outdoor FM antenna connected to your system? If so try disconnecting the antenna and see what happens.

jon96789

Post by jon96789 » 22 Mar 2019 05:13

I have isolated the hum... It was caused by a bad headshell. Go figure... I put the cartridge on another headhsell and all is quiet...

On a side note, I ordered the Reloop dust cover along with a roll of double sided high bond tape. I think its better than drilling holes in the Pioneer. The only problem may be that the tape will probably remove the labels on the back of the turntable when I try to take off the hinges...

jon96789

Post by jon96789 » 22 Mar 2019 11:23

Question... What headshells do people buy for alternate cartridges? I have two other headshells and I noticed that when I try to align the cartridges with a protractor or a GEODisc, I have to move the cartridge as far as it can go to the front of the headshell. I am guessing it is because the Pioneer needs 54mm from stylus tip to the flange of the headshell, while Technics only needs 52mm since the Pioneer has a shorter tonearm length compared to other turntables.

When I compare the Pioneer headshell to others, the Pioneer headshell is longer.

Luicas
Mexico

Post by Luicas » 22 Mar 2019 14:02

I use original technics headshells, as well as AT-HS10. Depending on how heavy I want the assembly to be. They both have more forward leeway than the pioneer.

Cheers.
Luis

jon96789

Post by jon96789 » 23 Mar 2019 05:25

I was wondering if anyone replaced the tonearm wiring on ther Pioneer with Cardas wires?

jon96789

Post by jon96789 » 25 Mar 2019 23:24

I got the Reloop dust cover which loks like a Technics cover with the bubble over the tonearm... It was easy to install once you drill some pilot holes in the bottom plinth (I tried using high bond double sided tape, that failed spectacularly, when you open the cover the hinges came right off the tape, so much for that idea)... Couple of issues though.

First, if you put a spare cartridge in the back of the Pioneer in the cartridge holder, the cover will not fully close, it hits the standing cartridge. Remember, the Pioneer arm is 2mm shorter than other turntables, which means the cartridge has to sit 2mm more forward to get it aligned. That 2mm difference makes the cartridge sit higher and hits the dust cover.

Secondly, if you need to raise the arm assembly for adjusting the VTF, the arm gimbals will hit the underneath of the dust cover bubble. The Pioneer has the platter sitting higher than other turntables which causes this issue.

Thirdly, the cueing lever has to be in the lowered position otherwise it hits the underneath of the dustcover as well.

Oddly, I installed the dust cover a tad misaligned on the back. On one side, you can feel a slight edge where the cover sits outside the plinth. The other side has the cover sitting slightly inside of the plinth, i.e. the cover is a bit off to the left. Not much, I'd say about 1/16-1/32" inch.

But on the front sides, the cover is sitting perfectly centered laterally on the plinth, which means the cover must be slightly skewed laterally.

I am planning to cover the Reloop logo on the dust cover. I am going to print the Pioneer logo on piece of photo paper that is the same size as the logo on the cover. I will cover it with either clear gloss paint or clear tape. When I cut it down to size to fit, I will attach it with double-sided Scotch tape.

Luicas
Mexico

Post by Luicas » 25 Mar 2019 23:37

Hi guys. I applaud your tweaking/hacking, but I just use the original Pioneer dust cover, and place it on its reserved spot atop one of my bookshelves while playing records. Never felt the need for a hinged dust cover. It's sort of a compromise to play records with the dust cover either open or closed.

Cheers,
Luis

NewOldVinyl

Post by NewOldVinyl » 26 Mar 2019 14:38

The hinged Reloop cover can still be easily removed if desired. Just lift it straight up.

jon96789

Post by jon96789 » 27 Mar 2019 04:32

I was hoping that I could use the PLX-500 dust cover on the PLX-1000, but the PLX-500 is 12mm (1/2") deeper and a few mm narrower so that was a no go... That is why I went with the Reloop cover, it is almost the exact size as the Pioneer PLX-1000.

jon96789

Post by jon96789 » 05 Apr 2019 10:56

I just noticed that my Pioneer has a somewhat noticeable flutter. When listening to any slow piano music with sustained notes (such as Beethoven's Nocturne) it is quite obvious any sustained notes has a slight wavering in the sound. It is only noticeable on that type of music. So far I can only tell only a couple of songs but it is there. Any quicker piano music seems to be fine. I thought that the record might be the problem but the issue disappears on my older Sony turntable.

Luicas
Mexico

Post by Luicas » 05 Apr 2019 13:53

Most probably a problem/defect on your speed control circuit.

Also, pitch variations as the one you are mentioning can also be produced by a mildly resonating stylus/tonearm system. And you can see it while the part of the song is playing. Probably a couple of small warps in the record putting the tonearm in a slightly undamped up and down motion. Or also a side by side motion. I’ve seen and heard both. Caused by a compliance mismatch.

Off center records are also the cause. But since your older Sony plays them OK, I guess that’s not the cause of your problem.

If your records are centered and your stylus isn’t dancing/shaking....then send your TT in for service.

My PLX 1000 setup is rock steady on sustained piano notes, if and only if, the record is perfectly centered.

Cheers
Luis

jon96789

Post by jon96789 » 11 Apr 2019 10:23

As some may know, my new Pioneer PLX-1000 turntable is exhibiting a wow and flutter problem. When listening to slow piano music, such as Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata" or DeBussy's "Claire de Lune", I can hear the tone of the piano wavering, which means the turntable's speed is not steady enough.

If you are an owner of this turntable, can you see if your turntable also exhibits this issue? It has to be something with long slow piano notes (which is the most demanding test for wow and flutter) which may be difficult to find in music. Note that my turntable is fine playing other music. I know it is not the record album because the music plays fine on my old Sony PS-X7 and Dual CS-5000 turntabeles.

The problem I am having is that the Pioneer service center is claiming that the turntable is designed for DJ use and not for audiophile use and that the speed variation is normal. I am saying that the Pioneer is spec'd at <0.01% wow and flutter and that my unit is nowhere close to that spec, as wow and flutter becomes audible above 0.07%.

So I want to see if other Pioneers also have this same issue as mine before I take this further with Pioneer... I know this is a lot to ask for... Thanks in advance.

Luicas
Mexico

Post by Luicas » 13 Apr 2019 14:16

I’m a piano record freak, and can assure you my PLX 1000 has no wavering on sustained piano notes, as long as the record is well centered and not warped. So, make sure your piano records are nicely centered. Also worth noting: Piano records from analog master tapes, sometimes, do have a bit of wow, but that’s not your TT’s problem. The fault on these records is the original master tapes. You can listen to the same CD or iTunes file and hear for yourself. Piano records from the early digital mastering days have no wow but do have a bit of flutter sometimes.

Got the PLX because of its stellar speed stability. And it hasn’t let me down.

If your TT is at fault, Pioneer must own up the problem as the specifications call for a 0.01% wow figure. Which is inaudible. Their argument about being a DJ table is nonsense. Published specs speak for themselves.

Best of luck.
Luis

NewOldVinyl

Post by NewOldVinyl » 14 Apr 2019 03:08

@jon96789 You have to be the person who recently posted a less than stellar review on Amazon that mentioned the sustained piano note issue as well as criticizing Hanpin turntables in general.

Pioneer’s wow and flutter spec says:

<0.01% (Measured by obtaining signal from built-in frequency generator of motor assembly.)

Parse that spec carefully. They seem to be referring to the stability of the frequency generator (oscillator) in the motor assembly. They are not claiming the absolute stability of the speed of the platter is <0.01%.

I own a PLX-1000 and I love it. But there’s no way that wow and flutter spec is measured at the platter with a precision external measurement device. It’s strictly the stability of the internal clock generator.

Now here's Audio-Technica's wow and flutter spec for the AT-1240-USB, another dreaded Hanpin that probably has the same drive motor as the Pioneer:

< 0.1% WRMS (JIS WTD) with 33 RPM

A-T is at least referencing an industry-standard method for measuring wow and flutter. Not just making a claim about the stability of the motor's frequency generator. And their number is 10x higher than Pioneer's.

Draw your own conclusions. My conclusion is Pioneer is using a made-up spec that's basically meaningless.

Luicas
Mexico

Post by Luicas » 14 Apr 2019 03:26

Jon: You can also download one of those speed stability apps for iPhone/android. There are a couple of them, such as "RPM Turntable Speed Accuracy". Just place a bowl, upside down, centered on your platter. Place the phone dead centered on top of the bowl. Start your TT and measure your speed deviation. Mine is always 0%. I'm aware it's not NASA's super precision, but should give you a ballpark figure if your TT is faulty.

Luis