point 7 thou stylus,any in production that track 3 grams or under..

the thin end of the wedge
goatbreath
long player
long player
Scotland

point 7 thou stylus,any in production that track 3 grams or under..

Post by goatbreath » 26 Mar 2019 12:49

The Shure M 44 7 did,but styli are getting expensive..
Wish I had stocked up before that..
Not the most refined cartridge,but great for 45 rpm and some Monos..
Most of the replacements seem to be point 6 is the problem..
I am already running 2 cartridges with point six styli..
A Shure M75 and a AT91,both are great by the way..
The 7 thou seems to be it's own thing..

chiz
Great Britain

Re: point 7 thou stylus,any in production that track 3 grams or under..

Post by chiz » 26 Mar 2019 13:12

I haven't tried it myself but the Ortofon OM1S may be of interest:

https://www.ortofon.com/om-1s-p-752-n-1579

https://www.ortofon.com/stylus-1s-p-753-n-3384

chiz
Great Britain

Post by chiz » 26 Mar 2019 13:23

Also, some of the Ortofon DJ models have a range of 2g to 4g with 3g recommended:

https://www.ortofon.com/dj/products/dj- ... ment-styli

goatbreath
long player
long player
Scotland

Post by goatbreath » 26 Mar 2019 13:26

Interesting..I have a few Ortofon OM bodies.. Thanks..

tlscapital
long player
long player
Belgium

Post by tlscapital » 26 Mar 2019 14:02

goatbreath wrote:
26 Mar 2019 12:49
Mmh, I have converted myself to the Shure M 44-7 (tweaked/bridged into MONO by me) cartridges for my DJ's spots after the down fall of the original 'White Label' styluses and no good generic replacements to be find. And so I have opted for the M 44-7 and the Jico 'Club' version replacements with heavier tracking...

Have you tried yet them Jico's N 44-7 replacement styluses ? I believe them to be 7 and not 6. I have inquired with them on the matter and await their answer. Will let you know. In the mean time if ever I have a spare almost new (5 minutes tested) to the same specs of the Shure original (not 'Club') I could send you.

If ever just PM me. BTW no offense, but me not like the OM's stuffs...

chiz
Great Britain

Post by chiz » 26 Mar 2019 14:13

tlscapital wrote:
26 Mar 2019 14:02
…after the down fall of the original 'White Label' styluses and no good generic replacements to be find.
Are you aware of these Tonar branded Whitelabel styli?

I’ve not heard any reports on the quality but thought they were worth mentioning

tlscapital
long player
long player
Belgium

Post by tlscapital » 26 Mar 2019 14:58

chiz wrote:
26 Mar 2019 14:13
tlscapital wrote:
…after the down fall of the original 'White Label' styluses and no good generic replacements to be find.

I’ve not heard any reports on the quality but thought they were worth mentioning
No indeed, I didn't know that one. Thanks for sharing that. Interesting. And price is almost OK... I have sold on mine to a friend and will advise him on that. The "compatible" Jico for Shure; the SC 35 C was not convincing I have find.

My worry with that shop online is that they don't dish much specs on the product. I have contacted them to ask some... Still the only spec (if ever) they give is rather confusing on their knowledge on such matter (copied & pasted) ;

Needle tip(s): Diamond stereo

B-b-b-b-but, how can a stylus be STEREO ? A cartridge yes, but a stylus ? :wink:

BMRR
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by BMRR » 26 Mar 2019 15:56

All of JICO's conical/spherical tips are .6mil

BMRR
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by BMRR » 26 Mar 2019 15:58

goatbreath wrote:
26 Mar 2019 12:49
AT95C is .7mil and tracks at 2.5g to 3.5g. I have several of them, new old stock. PM me if you would like to buy one. :)

tlscapital
long player
long player
Belgium

Post by tlscapital » 26 Mar 2019 16:57

chiz wrote:
26 Mar 2019 14:13
tlscapital wrote:

These are spherical tiped as the original, are 7 large and VTF ranges from 2 to 4 grams.

Now I have asked if these stylus were bonded or nude mounted and also have asked them what would the shipping fees from Holland (their HQ) to Belgium (ME) for 2 pairs come to.

BMRR
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by BMRR » 26 Mar 2019 17:50

I looked at the Tonar Whitelabel replacement stylus. It looks like they are using an M92E-style plastic grip, which is a bit strange but I guess it could fit on the Whitelabel cartridge. Probably cheaper than trying to create a new Whitelabel-style mold. The diamond is definitely bonded, not nude, and this stylus does not have a soldered tension wire, so I would not expect it to perform like the original. Maybe it will be OK for general listening but I wouldn't want to DJ with it.

A better choice, which would perform almost identical to the original Whitelabel stylus, would be to take a Shure or JICO N35X stylus and trim the plastic grip so that it fits on the Whitelabel cartridge. In either case you get the correct cantilever and the soldered tension wire.

tlscapital
long player
long player
Belgium

Post by tlscapital » 26 Mar 2019 19:44

BMRR wrote:
26 Mar 2019 17:50
A better choice, which would perform almost identical to the original Whitelabel stylus, would be to take a Shure or JICO N35X stylus and trim the plastic grip so that it fits on the Whitelabel cartridge. In either case you get the correct cantilever and the soldered tension wire.
Tried some (Chinese I suppose) aftermarket generic compatible (using the same plastic frontal body) for my 'White Label' cartridges and they sounded "duller" than the original. That is by memory and in comparison with a last one original I still had. It sounded like "tarnished" with no "dynamic" and poor "separation".

The Jico N35 C I bought under strong recommendation by dealers who supplied them to their 'White Label' cartridges owners and customers that claim to be satisfied with that combination in regards of the generic styluses. But to our ears (I was not alone testing them) it sounded the same as those generic aftermarket Chinese styluses.

BMRR
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by BMRR » 26 Mar 2019 20:58

No microscope is needed. Simply look at the brass tube that inserts into the cartridge. On genuine Shure and JICO styli you will see a small amount of shiny silver solder. This indicates the presence of a soldered tension wire. The tension wire is a critical part of Shure's suspension system. Among other duties, it prevents any forward movement of the cantilever. Aftermarket styli that omit the tension wire will not sound correct and will not track as well.

I definitely do not recommend the N35C or SS35C as a replacement for the White Label. The N35X is quite different, having substantially higher compliance than the 35C

tlscapital
long player
long player
Belgium

Post by tlscapital » 26 Mar 2019 21:31

BMRR wrote:
26 Mar 2019 20:58
No microscope is needed. Simply look at the brass tube that inserts into the cartridge. On genuine Shure and JICO styli you will see a small amount of shiny silver solder. This indicates the presence of a soldered tension wire.
OK, thanks I get it. After reception I will let you know how this 'pickupandnaadle' 'White Label' replacement stylus works. And if from closer inspection in real I can see anything like that tension wire solder.
BMRR wrote:
26 Mar 2019 20:58
I definitely do not recommend the N35C or SS35C as a replacement for the White Label. The N35X is quite different, having substantially higher compliance than the 35C
Looking on the net (Jico & Thakker included) for the N35X, they have none and I can only find Shure branded stylus costing $60 and up + postage on the eVilBay... Those prices are over my head for a DJ stylus.

BMRR
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by BMRR » 26 Mar 2019 21:37

JICO refers to it as N447X, which is what the N35X was originally called before Shure renamed it to N35X. You can find it here:

https://www.jico-stylus.com/product_inf ... gfl4vh1kv0