Audio-Technica AT-LP120-USB Observations

always listening
GuitarJamMan

Re: Audio-Technica AT-LP120-USB Observations

Post by GuitarJamMan » 28 Feb 2019 05:43

LP-120 is a total junk turntable. For the life of me I don't understand why people still buy that junk. I am far from being an audiophile snob. I make my own phono cables from low capacitance ofc video cable and my speaker wire is from Monoprice

MetalT75

Post by MetalT75 » 28 Feb 2019 06:21

I agree 100% but I do know the reason why people keep buying it. Advertising it as a "replica" of a legendary Technics TT and it having good reviews (which I do not agree with). I went to that trap also but quickly realized that I was fooled and returned the thing.

The funny thing is that one hifi-page gave it 5 stars and praised it to the stars but in other article used the same TT as an example of non working adjustments. :D I've seen many 4-5 star reviews on other pages also but based on what? Because it somewhat looks like a Technics? I'd give this TT 1 star. It doesn't deserve anything more. For the same price you can get a million times better used and maintained TT with a great cartridge so it's not good even for the price. Please people, ignore the false advertising, read real user reviews, save some more cash and get a better new TT or get a used quality TT instead. You won't regret it.

Spinner45
long player
long player

Post by Spinner45 » 28 Feb 2019 07:46

MetalT75 wrote:
28 Feb 2019 06:21
I agree 100% but I do know the reason why people keep buying it. Advertising it as a "replica" of a legendary Technics TT and it having good reviews (which I do not agree with). I went to that trap also but quickly realized that I was fooled and returned the thing.

The funny thing is that one hifi-page gave it 5 stars and praised it to the stars but in other article used the same TT as an example of non working adjustments. :D I've seen many 4-5 star reviews on other pages also but based on what? Because it somewhat looks like a Technics? I'd give this TT 1 star. It doesn't deserve anything more. For the same price you can get a million times better used and maintained TT with a great cartridge so it's not good even for the price. Please people, ignore the false advertising, read real user reviews, save some more cash and get a better new TT or get a used quality TT instead. You won't regret it.
Such a shocking and critical posting...... :shock:
However, sadly, it's the truth, and I'm glad to see someone here not mincing words.

These days, it's all about marketing, success, fancy talk, and making sure the average, potential customer is "drawn in" by the chatter of "professional reviews".
Yeah, ok, sure.
The manufacturer gives "kickbacks" to reviewers, and it's no different than the fake 5 star reviews that so-called "happy customers" make on slews of websites.
You don't know who to believe these days.
Because that Mrs. Jones raving about her new Toyota Rav 4 isn't really a happy owner, it's likely some guy in the sales office being paid to write that slop.

The kickbacks I'm sure are generous, and partly the reason for justifying the increasing price of things, under the reason of "inflation", which we're inclined to believe and be satisfied with.
*greed*
But all that is a topic for another time and place.

Call me a skeptic, a suspicious old coot, whatever, I don't care.
I've seen enough first-hand in my life to know what's going on.

Vinylfreak86
long player
long player

Post by Vinylfreak86 » 28 Feb 2019 09:37

GuitarJamMan wrote:
28 Feb 2019 05:43
LP-120 is a total junk turntable. For the life of me I don't understand why people still buy that junk.
Because it is new and looks good. :) In the days when you can find an excellent vintage turntable for half of the price of AT-LP120, it is a sin to buy this thing.

reisod

Post by reisod » 28 Feb 2019 22:17

I'll plug this here even though it looks like you got a good line on some Numarks.

Denon Professional made some interesting DD tables during the late 90's early 00's: DP-DJ151 and DP-DJ101. These predate D&M holdings, and were competing against Technics and Vestax for the professional club/performance DJ market (as opposed to Numark, Gemini, and American DJ who were trying to capture the entry-level budgets.

I bought a DP-DJ151 new that I put through hell in college, and yet is still going strong today. I never used a 101, but I believe it was mechanically the same table without the digital features of the 151 (these were ahead of their time, but not refined enough to be useful). Both models sell for very modest prices on the used market compared to Technics SL-1200s. Vestax as well though they are long gone as a company.

chiz
Great Britain

Post by chiz » 28 Feb 2019 22:44

I do like some of the earlier Vestax models with the wooden plinths and curved arms.

A friend of mine has the PDX-a1 MKII and they are nice to play on and still working perfectly. They must be 20 years old or more.

gmcjj
United States of America

Post by gmcjj » 01 Mar 2019 17:34

When getting back into vinyl I made the mistake of buying the lp120. With all the mods I had to do to it in order for the table to sound good and functional I could've gotten a better table used. Oh well the good news is I didn't have to pay full price as I bought it used. Live and learn.

GuitarJamMan

Post by GuitarJamMan » 24 Mar 2019 20:11

gmcjj wrote:
01 Mar 2019 17:34
When getting back into vinyl I made the mistake of buying the lp120. With all the mods I had to do to it in order for the table to sound good and functional I could've gotten a better table used. Oh well the good news is I didn't have to pay full price as I bought it used. Live and learn.
Did you yank out that stupid preamp and bypass the LCR filter on the PCB? Thats the only way to make it sound like a real turntable

gmcjj
United States of America

Post by gmcjj » 24 Mar 2019 20:21

Yes I rewired the tone arm right to some female rca Jack's I added on the back of the unit. I ran the ground cable from the turntable but I'm going to now go back and add a grounding post. I dont know how many times I lifted the table and forgot the about the wire and pulled the pre amp right off the shelf.
I also dampened the tonearm with some cotton and some rubber when I rewired it.