Garrard 301 and Mitchell Transcriptor

snap, crackle and pop
Craig W 1
Scotland

Garrard 301 and Mitchell Transcriptor

Post by Craig W 1 » 15 Mar 2019 00:29

Hi I am looking for some help or information,my dad recently passed away and left two turntables(he loved his music)The first turntable is a Garrard 301 and the second is a Mitchell transcription,could anyone help and tell me what they would be worth?More to the point give them the pride of place and someone who would appreciate them.
P_20190315_002316.jpg
P_20190315_002306.jpg
P_20190315_002258.jpg

Craig W 1
Scotland

Re: Garrard 301 and Mitchell Transcriptor

Post by Craig W 1 » 15 Mar 2019 01:13

Not sure if anyone can access the pictures,can someone let me know if the jpg not accessible thanks.

Craig W 1
Scotland

Post by Craig W 1 » 15 Mar 2019 01:28

For some weird reason I can't post pics,feel free to contact me @ cheezmyster1@yahoo.co.uk I will forward the pictures.

totem
Canada

Post by totem » 15 Mar 2019 16:25

As a ball park reference you can research past sales on some of the typical sites.

Craig W 1
Scotland

Post by Craig W 1 » 15 Mar 2019 20:21

I have tried looking but the prices vary so much I am unsure of what they are worth.I also want them to go to someone that would appreciate them as my dad did.

nat
long player
long player

Post by nat » 15 Mar 2019 20:56

Both are valuable tables, especially if in good condition, obviously. And the arm on the 301 may be valuable in its own right, as might the cartridges on both tables. It would be worth spending some time following completed auctions on Ebay and other sales venues. Don't bother will what people are asking - I can ask a million dollars for the lint in my pocket, but that doesn't make it more valuable.
The nice thought of having someone appreciate them as much as your father did isn't really anything you can rely on - once someone else owns it, they can do what they want with it, and it being sold to make money is always a possibility, despite protestations to the contrary.
Were I you, I'd consider keeping and using at least one of them for a while. You may decide you need it - they are good sounding and looking tables and vinyl is fun - and the sentimental pleasure of using something of your father's is real and valuable. You can always sell it or give it away later, and by then you will have a better idea of worth, and perhaps of who deserves it.

Craig W 1
Scotland

Post by Craig W 1 » 16 Mar 2019 00:05

Thanks for a true and honest answer Nat.My taste in music is very poor to what my dad liked,myself I like dance music whereas my dad appreciated all kinds of music,Sound quality was his true religion with music,it had to be the very best in Hifi equipment or record players and cassette players,he was even fussy about headphone quality.I am not really into music like my old man was mores the pity.

nat
long player
long player

Post by nat » 16 Mar 2019 17:55

No reason to be apologetic about your taste in music, and no reason to think that dance music doesn't benefit from being reproduced as well as possible. There is no hierarchy of music, which only classical (or whatever) deserving the best systems. We like what we like. We may change our opinions over time, but we enjoy music more when it sounds better, hence my urging you to not to act hastily.
If you simply can't abide the hassles (or, to record lovers, the soothing rituals) of vinyl, and are confident you never will, or if you simply don't have room to store the turntables, than maybe giving away or selling makes sense But test them, and clean them up (gently, and no strong chemicals) first.
Ebay will give you the broadest market and perhaps the highest price, but there are fees, and the turntables are valuable enough that you may attract scammers and end up with nothing. And shipping turntables is hazardous - you need to pack them very carefully and securely, which is a real hassle.
Local sales have their own issues, and you need to be careful, but may be easier. Or a local audio store might sell it for you, but will take a big chunk of the proceeds.

Craig W 1
Scotland

Post by Craig W 1 » 16 Mar 2019 18:20

Thanks again Nat.I have spoken to my mother and we both agreed we have no need for them.I am going to try and sell them to someone who could give them a new lease of life and look after them.

nat
long player
long player

Post by nat » 16 Mar 2019 21:27

I was going to suggest taking pictures that include the serial number so unscrupulous buyers can't swap their bad unit for your good one and claim that yours was the bad one, but I see you've done it already.
Was there an arm with the Garrard?
If I lived in the UK, I'd be slavering, but I am protected by the Atlantic.

Craig W 1
Scotland

Post by Craig W 1 » 16 Mar 2019 22:13

I am not sure about an arm for the Garrard,it's possible one is lying around somewhere.I am not sure what I would be looking for,if u could send me a picture I will have a look.

SupaWales
Wales

Post by SupaWales » 16 Mar 2019 23:10

A likely candidate for the tonearm would be an SME of some description.

Here's a link to the VE database arm section showing the SME range.
https://www.vinylengine.com/tonearm_dat ... &amhi=&cw=

There are many other makes etc. shown in the database as well.

Paul.

nat
long player
long player

Post by nat » 17 Mar 2019 23:42

Do look - your father obviously was a committed audiophile and he probably had at least one good arm, and maybe more.