Receiver vs. Headphone Amp

amplifiers, receivers and loudspeakers
musicguy1982
United States of America

Receiver vs. Headphone Amp

Post by musicguy1982 » 14 Mar 2019 15:17

So I got a new turntable (Pioneer PL-12D), and I will be taking my AT LP-60 to my office to use. I know the LP-60 isn't the greatest thing in the world, but until I can find another vintage one for the office, it'll do the job.

My question though, I'm going to be listening in the office exclusively through headphones. Is it a better deal to get a headphone amp (something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ADR2DTG/?c ... _lig_dp_it) or buy an old receiver?

If receiver is the right answer, do you see anything that should be a good fit via https://peoria.craigslist.org Preferably less than $100?

musicguy1982
United States of America

Re: Receiver vs. Headphone Amp

Post by musicguy1982 » 14 Mar 2019 16:10

Thanks. This makes the decision much easier. I work in a cubicle farm, so headphones are a must. Dedicated headphone amp it is.

lini
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Germany

Post by lini » 15 Mar 2019 09:04

mg1982: Actually that depends a bit on the headphones you'd like to use.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America
Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

Post by JDJX » 17 Mar 2019 13:57

I actually have a Bravo version 3 which is exactly the same as the version 2 with the addition of a passive three band EQ.
I like the sound from it .
BTW, the V3 comes with a very good sounding Russian "EH 6922" tube.

https://www.amazon.com/Bravo-Audio-V3-H ... s=bravo+au

Also, since it a "passive EQ" , you can only cut a frequency band . So, the "flat" setting would be with all three sliders in the full "up" position. It seems that some are unaware of this..... that its a "passive EQ".
Anyway, the EQ could come in handy, depending on the headphones used, the tube used, and even your ears.

One thing to keep in mind is the theses Bravo amps generate some heat. The heat sinks are there for a reason.
So, they should not be operated in a closed environment with little or no ventilation for the amp.

BTW, I'm using Grado "SR80" phones. :)

jmcwha

Post by jmcwha » 23 Mar 2019 04:29

I prefer headphone amps. I find listening through the headphone port on my Yamaha receiver sounds a bit compressed compared to a dedicated headphone amp.
Listening right now to a Japanese pressing of Led Zep's Physical Graffiti via a Schiit Magni 3 headphone amp. I usually prefer to listen to analog through speakers and listen to digital sources through headphones. However my wife is currently studying in the next room. The Schiit Magni 3 is a great headphone amp for the money and will drive just about anything (I use Hifiman HE-4XX planar magnetics). At $99 US they are a bit more expensive than what you are looking at but have excellent build quality and a 2 year warranty. They also have RCA outs so you could also plug powered monitors or even a power amp and use it as a basic pre-amp.
I would recommend checking out their website before buying anything. Google Schiit and you should find them.

vanakaru

Post by vanakaru » 23 Mar 2019 10:08

Many headphone ports in receivers are just impedance matched main amp output(usually added resistors). I feel that dedicated headphone amp will deliver better results. It is designed for headphones.