How many turntables do you have?

snap, crackle and pop
Hilary
United States of America

Re: How many turntables do you have?

Post by Hilary » 11 Mar 2019 23:58

DasherF wrote:
11 Mar 2019 18:10
Whatcha mean by "if what you call what it does working"?
Was referring to the Radio Shack Realistic Lab 12, for which 'low end' is a bit of an understatement. I'm excited about trying to fix up the two Technics.

DasherF
United States of America

Post by DasherF » 12 Mar 2019 00:02

Good for you, Hil! The effort and outcome is absolutely worth it. All it takes is a "round tuit"... 8) :roll:

Hilary
United States of America

Post by Hilary » 12 Mar 2019 00:05

DasherF wrote:
12 Mar 2019 00:02
Good for you, Hil! The effort and outcome is absolutely worth it. All it takes is a "round tuit"... 8) :roll:
I do need to get one of those. Scarce around here!

SteinarSv
Norway

Post by SteinarSv » 12 Mar 2019 00:23

DasherF wrote:
11 Mar 2019 23:53
Welcome to YOU! Lucky 13! (I counted right, right?)
Not to make you do more work, but, what models are the Duals and Pioneer? I have a few/couple, respectively.
The Duals are 714Q, 731Q and a 1225 built in a Tandberg Music Centre (see the picture)
TR220.jpg
(80.34999999999999 KiB) Downloaded 147 times
The Pioneer is a crappy 221Z

DasherF
United States of America

Post by DasherF » 12 Mar 2019 00:39

Oh, yeah...I need a truckload...I'm attempting to work on a BIC 940 that the platter is sticky, doesn't turn easily...can't even get the mat off...they're s'posed to come off...yes? Then Dub-D-40 it to get the platter off...maybe some heat, too.
YouTube videos help, by the way...find one for your model or close to it, if not available.

stein...ver-ry nice setup!
To share, I have a 1218 (my beh-beh, 1st ever turntable), 2 506s, (a -1 and a straight up 506, no sub-model), a 1226 (I got from work...I work at a recycling center), and 1237...this one and the 506 gotten from a record store in town.
The Pioneer, BTB, is a PL-112D.

toymanmsp

Post by toymanmsp » 13 Mar 2019 13:36

toymanmsp wrote:
14 Oct 2018 21:52
I have 6 tables, one is stored (Dual 1219 w/1229 tonearm), Technics 1600 (Full Auto), Technics 1710 (Black, Semi-Auto), Rega Planar 3 (2016) with groovetracer mods, and two newly acquired tables. A Marantz 6370Q (runs in either manual or semi-automatic) in beautiful condition, and a Linn LP12. Each runs a different cart, so it provides a listener with options in the sound that you want. It's enjoyable to mix and match the different carts with tables. Amazing how you can get a different sound with each different combination. I love this hobby, my passions for it grows everyday.

toymanmsp

Post by toymanmsp » 13 Mar 2019 16:14

I've made several changes over the past 6 months. I've gone from the 6 tables stated in a prior post to 9 tables.

(I have 6 tables, one is stored (Dual 1219 w/1229 tonearm), Technics 1600 (Full Auto), Technics 1710 (Black, Semi-Auto), Rega Planar 3 (2016) with groovetracer mods, and two newly acquired tables. A Marantz 6370Q (runs in either manual or semi-automatic) in beautiful condition, and a Linn LP12. Each runs a different cart, so it provides a listener with options in the sound that you want. It's enjoyable to mix and match the different carts with tables. Amazing how you can get a different sound with each different combination. I love this hobby, my passions for it grows everyday.)

Currently Stored: (Dual 1219 w/1229 tonearm), Technics 1600, Lenco L75, Pioneer PL-518

Current rotation with three different listening stations. Audio Technica LP5 (direct drive) with Schiit Mani Phone Preamp connected to a pair of AudioEngine A2+ (office) / Technics 1710, with Cambridge Audio Solo Phono Preamp, Rotel Amp (RX-970B), Luxman Pre-Amp, Sumiko S.0 Sub, Dali Spektor 1 (Living room) / Linn LP12 (2M Black cart), with Pro-ject Tube Box S2, NAD C368 Integrated paired with JBL L100t3's / Rega Planar 3 (Nagaoka MP-200 cart) with groovetracer counterweight (planning to upgrade to their Reference subplatter) / Schiit Mani Phono Pre-Amp / NAD C365 Integrated Amp paired with JBL L100t3's / Recently added a Wilson-Benesch Full Circle TT (2M Bronze Cart) / Schiit Mani Phono Preamp / Sansui G4700 receiver and paired with a pair of Dali Zensor 3's.

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 13 Mar 2019 17:17

Boy, with 33 of the darn things, I thought I was a turntable hoarder...er...collector...You guys are really getting into this hobby! I dunno, but I may have created a monster here! #-o

DasherF
United States of America

Post by DasherF » 13 Mar 2019 17:36

:lol: Yup, you did... =D> 8) (...just speaking personally...sorry...didn't mean to bomb)
Last edited by DasherF on 13 Mar 2019 17:59, edited 1 time in total.

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 13 Mar 2019 17:37

Hilary wrote:
11 Mar 2019 13:57
Technics SL-1510
Technics SL-7
Realistic Lab 12

SL-1510: $0 at recycling center. Just soldered on a new RCA cord and ground wire yesterday. Speed stabilized... into a regular, small, but very audible oscillation!

SL-7: $0, hand-me-down from my father who was a producer and engineer. Platter turns but tone arm doesn't move.

Realistic: Priciest of the bunch. Wife purchased at yard sale for $5. This is the one that actually works (if you can call what it does 'working').

Anyone with some expertise, and who doesn't want to live in a world where a Radio Shack TT is hooked up to an Apt Holman, Adcom GFA-535, and Miller & Kreisel Volkswoofer and Satellites, please advise!

Hilary (my first post)
Hilary, first of all, welcome to VE...And secondly, we have a thread here that might benefit from your experiences...Take a look!

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... hp?t=88346

If you can show a few pics of this "cheap" gear, I'm sure we'd all love to see it! :wink:

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 15 Mar 2019 03:53

Well, after some good natured ribbing from Vinyl Master and DasherF, I ventured back to a couple of thrifts I haunt regularly, to check on a couple of TTs I had seen but was iffy on buying. To my surprise, the Technics B202 looked redeemable, and was half off the original price, so went for it, mostly for the cartridge and spare parts it could provide. $17 , tax included...a no-brainer now! Since I was feeling empowered now, went over to the other thrift on my regular list, to check out a linear Technics L20. Although on the lower level of Technics linear trackers, it is a fully auto unit which I have been looking for for a while, and......came with a nearly new Grado MT+ cartridge! A little scratched on the lid, but otherwise clean and fully operational. Both TTs cleaned up easily, and the B202, with a Shure M70 b cartridge, and loose belt lying under the platter, after a few spritzes and drops of oil fired up, and after a wee bit of finagling, actually played a test record very well, right on pitch. It was going to just be used for record cleaning, but now may have other potential use. It is missing the cover, but for $17, not much of an issue. The cartridge has a surprisingly clean and mellow sound to it, so worth the price by itself and then some. Same can be said for the L20, as the cartridge stylus alone is $130!! so a fine cartridge, nearly new, as is the belt on the TT. Plays and sounds very, very good, right on pitch, and after a couple light buffings, the lid is looking close to like new. I wavered about on the $85 they were asking, citing belts, cartridges and the scratches, and the sales clerk offered it for $60. Probably could have pushed it for a few more bucks cheaper, but felt it a deal at $60, so paid up and smiled all the way to the car. Much under rated, and certainly not as quality build as linears just a few years earlier, but definitely capable, and a turntable I can enjoy with two glasses of wine and not be concerned about operator error. I am a happy camper. Anyone else have experience with a Shure M70 cartridge? :D

As an aside, I have now doubled the number of Technics TTs I have in just over 6 months! Right time, right place is the fix!

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 15 Mar 2019 05:55

See, now you're learning how to haggle, AOR! Love that! I do have a Shure M70EJ that came with my Philips GA 427...It's not my favorite cartridge, but I'll admit I haven't given it much playing time...The M91ED has been the one I've gravitated to...I might want to play with the M70 some more, as I did end up getting a nice stylus for it from Gary@thevoiceofmusic.com, just to be prepared...I think you did good for the prices you paid, though...You paid nearly $80 for both...Imagine them being $40 each instead of $60 and $20 and you still have 2 good deals, even on a couple of parts machines...Sometimes, even these TT's can use some love! 8)

Read this and look at the reviews...

https://www.vinylengine.com/library/tec ... b202.shtml
https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_r ... el=SL-B202

I'm reading "nice belt drive", "good starter table", "good cheap performer", etc., so for $17, you didn't waste any money...Even if you set someone up with a beginner system, it would make the purchase worthwhile...If you didn't like the Shure, you could go with an AT91 or AT95E cheap and see how it sounded to you...It might be worth the experiment... :-k

There's not much about the SL-L2, but it could be just the compact for a small-room or office system...

https://www.vinylengine.com/library/tec ... l-l2.shtml

Hey, they were still sitting there and no one was going to buy them, so you came along at the right time! :wink:

Sometimes, the thrifts do offer up some goodies! :D

Make sure to take some pics and show 'em in the "Cheap-Skates" thread, too! =D>

DasherF
United States of America

Post by DasherF » 15 Mar 2019 11:55

"Empowered"...oh yeah 8) , oh, yeah...good for you, AOR! I get that whenever I go up to 3rd floor and look at "my domain"...part "aaahhh..." and part "what da heck am I gonna do widd-all-dis?!" But it's mine to do...gettin' there...
vm, you say you gravitate towards the M91...I DID get one with the BIC...took it off and want to try it out on another working table...just waiting to get out to my bro's to get the headshells I ordered.
Yeah, AOR...vm is a good teacher, enabler (you may be hearing that) and friend, as ya' all are!

Happy Friday!

kavka

Post by kavka » 19 Mar 2019 10:00

This is what I listen to. Old TD 166 and my diy heavy weight, that is still work in progress.
P3190927.JPG
(132.94 KiB) Downloaded 75 times
It works, but I need to change the motor (to loud) and controler needs some programing.
Regards Gorazd

windywatchguy

Post by windywatchguy » 22 Mar 2019 14:08

Am I the only one who finds it rather annoying when people feel compelled to announce when they buy something for a very low price? This thread was never meant as a place to share your amazingly cheap turntable. In fact, almost none of the threads here are related to the price you paid at Goodwill or a yardsale. I'm considering using this forum as a place to announce every great buy I make from now on. I'll start with this: Last week I got an artificial xmas tree for 3 USD. If you'd like the details of the manufacturer, height, type, etc. just ask.