How many turntables do you have?

snap, crackle and pop
AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Re: How many turntables do you have?

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 08 Mar 2019 04:22

Now that I've learned to post pictures effectively, here's a couple more TTs, my two (thus far) linear trackers , the black full auto programmable JVC L-E30E, and beautiful little SL-D4. Both very capable TTs with great specs and VERY RELIABLE with minimal maintenance. ....this space reserved for possible future acquisition(s). :lol:
DSC_0515 (640x426).jpg
JVC L-E30E linear programmable
(35.95 KiB) Downloaded 148 times
DSC_0516 (640x426).jpg
Technics SL-D4 linear with Shure M104 cartridge
(32.94 KiB) Downloaded 147 times

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 08 Mar 2019 05:39

Just curious, AOR, but...Were those D202's always in black up there in Canada? :-k Did they ever sell the silver ones in your country, too? I've seen the silver ones down here, but never one in black, and I like the black, as well... :D

Otherwise, some great TT's...Very cool! 8)

So cool, in fact, I may have to show them off in my unique TT thread, if you don't mind... :-k

windywatchguy

Post by windywatchguy » 09 Mar 2019 01:52

I bet they are tough to play stacked one on the other like that.

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 09 Mar 2019 03:46

Both of these D202s are actually that strange subdued bronze color....almost like a military drab color, which actually looks very functional and no-nonsense in my estimation. I have several Technics in the silver as well, and one black model as well. As you have noted Vinyl Master, the D202s have a mix of elements about them that just state matter of factly, "I am a very good turntable". The bronze color just adds to that. And, yes, the acquisition of extra turntables does come with it's own caveats, one of which is how to effectively and efficiently present and use each turntable. I personally can't endorse or encourage the hoarding of TTs, but can encourage saving, restoring and actively using TTs, keeping them from abandonment to the landfill or recycling depot. These are amazing technological developments and steps in the culture, and should be conserved. Just so you know, the stacked D202s was a moment in time only. They now occupy their own distinct spaces now, although it is beginning to get a bit busy in my studio/workshop. I'm working on some additional functional,yet attractive display options as we speak. Not the worst situation I could be dealing with by any stretch of the imagination. 8)

DasherF
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DasherF » 09 Mar 2019 14:09

It is with some sadness that I tell you, my fellow 'Engineers that I am down to ("only"...) 15 'tables.
I think I did mention that the Technics SL-D20, aka "the RatRod", due to a hinge having broken from the plynth, was given as a "housewarming" gift to a coworker.
I got it, free, from a former neighbor, it had a Stanton L727E Plug 'n' Play cart with no stylus. Needle Doc' supplied me with it and the the 'table worked flawlessly. Played many a record on it in the rig I call the Test Kitchen.
The look on my cowrorker's face and the excitement in his voice when he opened up the bags (2 paper shopping bags, one inverted inside the other...plain brown wrapper, y'know) was worth many pics (of COURSE I didn't tske any... :oops: :oops: Too busy also, getting my accumulation of "take out" because of bus riding...my son picked me up...thank you Son...).
He also got a stack of records I had replaced (cleaned up with Ye Olde Spin Clean AND 2-in1 AND test played...I fully disclaimered them to him...says not to worry it'll "take-off" from here ...mission accomplished... 8) 8) 8) ). AND advised him to spend many nights on Vinyl Engine, use it (us) and "go" from there. [-o< =D> :lol:
Yeah...only 15, now...oh, yeah, too...only 29 carts...wasn't that a song? :roll: :roll:

Ghaasl
United States of America

Post by Ghaasl » 09 Mar 2019 14:42

DasherF wrote:
09 Mar 2019 14:09
It is with some sadness that I tell you, my fellow 'Engineers that I am down to ("only"...) 15 'tables.
I think I did mention that the Technics SL-D20, aka "the RatRod", due to a hinge having broken from the plynth, was given as a "housewarming" gift to a coworker.
I got it, free, from a former neighbor, it had a Stanton L727E Plug 'n' Play cart with no stylus. Needle Doc' supplied me with it and the the 'table worked flawlessly. Played many a record on it in the rig I call the Test Kitchen.
The look on my cowrorker's face and the excitement in his voice when he opened up the bags (2 paper shopping bags, one inverted inside the other...plain brown wrapper, y'know) was worth many pics (of COURSE I didn't tske any... :oops: :oops: Too busy also, getting my accumulation of "take out" because of bus riding...my son picked me up...thank you Son...).
He also got a stack of records I had replaced (cleaned up with Ye Olde Spin Clean AND 2-in1 AND test played...I fully disclaimered them to him...says not to worry it'll "take-off" from here ...mission accomplished... 8) 8) 8) ). AND advised him to spend many nights on Vinyl Engine, use it (us) and "go" from there. [-o< =D> :lol:
Yeah...only 15, now...oh, yeah, too...only 29 carts...wasn't that a song? :roll: :roll:
Now that you’ve “thinned the herd”, you have room for more! :lol:

DasherF
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DasherF » 09 Mar 2019 14:59

:lol: The big news from Becker! Aaahhh, the consolation overwhelmings me thank you! :lol: =D>
8) <don't get me thinking...besides my brother tells me he has a few things "to go when (I) get out there..."...hmm?!
How deep is YOUR snow? All hunkered in for this one?
AOR...the 202s must be the same color as my 1510...vinyl master pointed out "you may really like this one as much as I do" (paraphrasing, vm)...he was right...to that daye, I hadn't seen a dark colored Tech' before...it was a must have...and so close...
Very glad I got it.

Ghaasl
United States of America

Post by Ghaasl » 09 Mar 2019 15:17

Our snow is a good 18-22 inches deep. I have a pile about 5 1/2 feet high from where the Cub Cadet chucks it when I blow out the driveway. We’re expecting 8-10 inches out of today’s storm (according to Belle Jensen). As for audio news, currently rotating is Bluesbreakers with Eric Clapton. I may buy a new cart from the VM line of A/T. Thinking in the 540 series. Still haven’t offloaded the Techie to my drummer friend. It has found a semi-permanent home on the downstairs coffee table. Hoping for the last weekend in March to give it to him. Been so busy working that I haven’t found any time to make it to the “Big City” for any crate digging. My neighbor informs me that the antique store in Elk River has quite a selection of vintage equipment and tons of records. May have to make the drive. Who knows what’ll follow me home. Have to spend all of that Xcel Energy money somehow.

DasherF
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DasherF » 09 Mar 2019 15:31

:lol: :lol: :lol: , oh how sah-weet it is!
I think my brother's mentioned the store in Elk River (Rogers boy, y'know). Gotta ask 'im. I think he HAS pulled a gem or two out of there...or seen them...sometimes those stores ask more than need be...buuut, if acceptable, or 'way desired...>YOINK!!<
That's how I was with the 2 Duals last year.
Again, if you get down here, let me know.

music_mota_beer
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by music_mota_beer » 11 Mar 2019 07:34

windywatchguy wrote:
07 Mar 2019 14:10
I have never owned a Hana. Maybe I'll try one next time I am ready to buy something I don't need. I like the Nagaoka mp 200 very much...and the Ortofon bronze is undeniably sweet.
There are several threads about Hanas, here and on Audio Asylum. The reviews I read were pretty positive, and I'd never tried a moving coil.

Truth is, the cartridges listed on the VPI website are too costly for me. A relative and I settled on a DynaVector, but it was out of stock for too long, so I chose the SL.

The Hana SL has a permanent home on the Classic.

Cheers!

Hilary
United States of America

Post by Hilary » 11 Mar 2019 13:57

Technics SL-1510
Technics SL-7
Realistic Lab 12

SL-1510: $0 at recycling center. Just soldered on a new RCA cord and ground wire yesterday. Speed stabilized... into a regular, small, but very audible oscillation!

SL-7: $0, hand-me-down from my father who was a producer and engineer. Platter turns but tone arm doesn't move.

Realistic: Priciest of the bunch. Wife purchased at yard sale for $5. This is the one that actually works (if you can call what it does 'working').

Anyone with some expertise, and who doesn't want to live in a world where a Radio Shack TT is hooked up to an Apt Holman, Adcom GFA-535, and Miller & Kreisel Volkswoofer and Satellites, please advise!

Hilary (my first post)

DasherF
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DasherF » 11 Mar 2019 18:10

Whatcha mean by "if what you call what it does working"?
I have a 1510, working nicely, but I downloadded a service manual from the library in the toolbar above.
For free, it's worth a mint...same fir your SL-7...I have the SL-6...same issue...AND the Shackrod...hey, it needs love, too.
Never, ever think a turntable, or any gear FTM, can't come back from a good rest...

DasherF
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DasherF » 11 Mar 2019 21:06

By the way, Hil, the 1510 is WELL worth fixing. It's worth so much more than what you paid! =D>
PSX_20180310_081933.jpg
(197.11 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
And welcome, welcome!
(Hey vm...a free 1510!)
Great grabs, alll, Hilary...I, for one, am :mrgreen: !

SteinarSv
Norway

Post by SteinarSv » 11 Mar 2019 23:43

Two Philips
Two Thorens
Three Duals
One Bang & Olufsen
One Sanyo
One Linn
One Pioneer
One Lenco
One Luxor

DasherF
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DasherF » 11 Mar 2019 23:53

Welcome to YOU! Lucky 13! (I counted right, right?)
Not to make you do more work, but, what models are the Duals and Pioneer? I have a few/couple, respectively.