Pioneer PLX-1000

the final frontier
Luicas
Mexico

Re: Pioneer PLX-1000

Post by Luicas » 23 Feb 2019 20:14

I have both a PLX1000 and a Reloop RP7000 with dustcover. The reloop dustcover is poorly designed, as you cannot keep the lid closed while playing. When the tonearm reaches the inner tracks, the lid interferes with the counterweight. For those thinking about modifying their PLX1000 to fit the reloop dustcover, it would be a bad idea.

Cheers!

NewOldVinyl

Post by NewOldVinyl » 24 Feb 2019 04:35

Luicas wrote:
23 Feb 2019 20:14
I have both a PLX1000 and a Reloop RP7000 with dustcover. The reloop dustcover is poorly designed, as you cannot keep the lid closed while playing. When the tonearm reaches the inner tracks, the lid interferes with the counterweight. For those thinking about modifying their PLX1000 to fit the reloop dustcover, it would be a bad idea.

Cheers!
Well I won't waste any time or money on that. Thanks for the info.

rtrt

Post by rtrt » 24 Feb 2019 12:22

Hmm Ive just got the reloop cover out of its box and laid it on like you would the plx cover.

I'm unable to get the counterweight to hit the cover, even by moving the arm beyond the dead wax and over the spindle.

So somethings different about our setups. Have you got the additional weight installed in your arm? Or maybe my cartridge is lighter and so the weight isn't as far back?

Currently I have the pioneer shell with a shure m97xc and iirc it's set to the middle of the shure recommended tracking weight.

rtrt

Post by rtrt » 24 Feb 2019 13:26

Luicas wrote:

Cheers!
Hmm Ive just got the reloop cover out of its box and laid it on like you would the plx cover.

I'm unable to get the counterweight to hit the cover, even by moving the arm beyond the dead wax and over the spindle.

So somethings different about our setups. Have you got the additional weight installed in your arm? Or maybe my cartridge is lighter and so the weight isn't as far back?

Currently I have the pioneer shell with a shure m97xc and iirc it's set to the middle of the shure recommended tracking weight.

rtrt

Post by rtrt » 24 Feb 2019 13:29

NewOldVinyl wrote:
23 Feb 2019 19:19
I’ve thought about doing the Reloop cover but like you I’m very reluctant to start drilling holes in the TT. It’s a shame Pioneer didn’t give it hinges. That’s my only real criticism of this unit for home use.
As a result of these posts Ive just made a post on the turntables / tonearms forum asking for some installation tips.

All being well I think I'll go ahead.

If I never post again - you'll know its gone horribly wrong :shock:

Luicas
Mexico

Post by Luicas » 24 Feb 2019 13:39

Indeed, the weight of the cart/headshell is a variable to be considered in everyone’s setup.

Also, my experience is with the RP7000 and it’s dust cover. I haven’t tried to fit the lid on the PLX. So, sorry for any confusion caused.

The only way I can keep the lid closed (on the RP7000) while playing is using a light Technics headshell and a light AT12sa.

I’ll try to fit the lid onto my PLX using a standard 10g headshell and a heavier cart. And share this info later today.

Luis

rtrt

Post by rtrt » 24 Feb 2019 14:12

Luicas wrote:
24 Feb 2019 13:39
Indeed, the weight of the cart/headshell is a variable to be considered in everyone’s setup.

Also, my experience is with the RP7000 and it’s dust cover. I haven’t tried to fit the lid on the PLX. So, sorry for any confusion caused.

The only way I can keep the lid closed (on the RP7000) while playing is using a light Technics headshell and a light AT12sa.

I’ll try to fit the lid onto my PLX using a standard 10g headshell and a heavier cart. And share this info later today.

Luis
Yes we were at cross purposes - np easily resolved and you've motivated me to take a proper look at installing mine - so that's a bonus for me.

It'd be really good too, to hear if you find any problems with your heavier cart / weight further back.

NewOldVinyl

Post by NewOldVinyl » 24 Feb 2019 16:26

Well now I just gots to know. I ordered a Reloop cover. Will report back...

rtrt

Post by rtrt » 24 Feb 2019 16:53

NewOldVinyl wrote:
24 Feb 2019 16:26
Well now I just gots to know. I ordered a Reloop cover. Will report back...
Excellent 8)

rtrt

Post by rtrt » 28 Feb 2019 22:15

This is a lightly edited cross post from the main tonearm / turntable forum where I asked for some help -

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... 66#p955815

------------
Well I wanted to report back the successful attachment of the hinge plates, installation of hinges and a cover that removes the only frustration I had with my PLX. I used the helpful tips from Jim on the main tonearm/turntable forum (especially the take great care part) with a couple of exceptions - one of which I'm not proud of!

Looking closely I noticed that the lower plinth, where I'd mount the plates is 1-2 mm smaller all round than the top plinth. That would've mean the installation of the hinge tabs into the plates would have been 'jammed' against the upper plinth. So I decided to use the rubber anyway to 'build out' the hinge plates the 1-2mm - seems to have worked well enough.

Next the confession - I used the drill horizontally with the deck on my current table, despite Jims dire (and well founded) warnings above - I was too keen to get going to prepare to do it properly! I seemed to get away with it, so alls well that ends well there. I used the drill and not the Dremel as I didn't have a collet to use a small enough drill bit. I used a 1mm to drill a pilot, then a screw with a point to create the larger holes for the blunt / self tappers supplied with the cover. End result is the plates feel pretty solid and I don't expect them to move.

If anyone else is thinking about the same project for their PLX, then I'd summarise the final look of the table with the new cover as 95-98% perfect...

First the positive, the Reloop cover's about 1 cm shorter (in height) than the Pioneer, with the exception of a Technics SL1200 style 'bubble' above the tonearm pivot and as a result I think looks better proportioned than the original Pioneer. The original Pioneer cover being noticeably taller than the base. Obviously the bubble may make / break it for you.

The Reloop's a perfect fit width wise. There are no height / arm clearance / spare head shell clearance issues - with my head shells at least. The subtle smoked colouring is a good match and I have a cunning plan to deal with the Reloop badge on the top - more later if successful.

Then the negative & where the -2 to 5% comes in, is that it's about 3-4mm shallower (front to back) than the original cover / top of the deck. So it's noticeable in that whilst it's perfectly aligned on both sides and at the back, it leaves those 3-4mm exposed at the front, but in my opinion is absolutely fine. After a day or 2 I'd say you'd not notice it - except you'll need to dust there sooner or later :-)

NewOldVinyl

Post by NewOldVinyl » 04 Mar 2019 02:50

Received my Reloop dust cover (ordered it from Guitar Center). Installed it today. Success! I'm very happy with both its function and appearance. Despite the Reloop cover being very slightly smaller front-to-back, it fits fine and looks great. There are no clearance issues and everything looks "symmetrical" along the edges of the TT and the cover.

A sharp 3/32" bit is perfect for drilling the holes. The TT material is quite soft, no splintering or other issues. The holes drilled out very cleanly and the hinges feel very solidly attached. Just get the holes right the first time. :)

Now I need to figure out how to transfer the Pioneer nameplate over to the new cover.

http://photos.xdrguy.com/i.ashx?&mid=10 ... e=1280x850

http://photos.xdrguy.com/i.ashx?&mid=10 ... ze=653x301

http://photos.xdrguy.com/i.ashx?&mid=10 ... =1280x1023

http://photos.xdrguy.com/i.ashx?&mid=10 ... =1280x1069

http://photos.xdrguy.com/i.ashx?&mid=10 ... e=1280x960

NewOldVinyl

Post by NewOldVinyl » 04 Mar 2019 03:28

Luicas wrote:

Cheers!
I just double-checked this on mine (Reloop cover installed on the Pioneer). No clearance issue at any position of the tonearm.

Maybe your counterweight is positioned much further back on the arm due to using a heavy cartridge?

NewOldVinyl

Post by NewOldVinyl » 10 Mar 2019 17:42

Memo to PLX-1000 owners who may not have already run into this.

The PLX-1000 antiskating dial calibration is way off, like by a factor of over 2x. Maybe 2.5x. For a tracking force of 1.8g I’ve found I need antiskating set to about 4.5. Users on other forums have confirmed my observation.

Turntable is as level as possible, everything set up very carefully. Using a VTF of 1.8g, if I set the antiskate to 1.8, the arm flies toward the center spindle when the stylus is lowered to the blank area of a long runout (not in the groove). To get the arm more or less stationary in that test, the antiskating must be set much higher.

I suspect Pioneer spec’d the wrong dial. Who knows why. The dial is calibrated from 0 to 6. It’s actually much closer to 0 to 3.

Gaslight
Netherlands

Post by Gaslight » 11 Mar 2019 11:15

Talking about anti-skate: Anyone else has the "problem" that anti-skate is always slightly engaged, even at the zero-setting? Recently I've adjusted the VTF and the arm always swings back to the tonearm rest, even at zero anti-skate.

Normal behavior for the PLX1000 or is something wrong with mine?

Vinylfreak86
long player
long player

Post by Vinylfreak86 » 11 Mar 2019 12:56

Gaslight wrote:
11 Mar 2019 11:15
Talking about anti-skate: Anyone else has the "problem" that anti-skate is always slightly engaged, even at the zero-setting? Recently I've adjusted the VTF and the arm always swings back to the tonearm rest, even at zero anti-skate.

Normal behavior for the PLX1000 or is something wrong with mine?
You got the last version, where they maybe corrected AS to be too much powerful. Previous versions had to have set AS twice as much as VTF. Better too much AS then not working AS.