45 for my parents 50th wedding anniversary.

jukebox jury
Zer0beaT

45 for my parents 50th wedding anniversary.

Post by Zer0beaT » 01 Mar 2019 19:56

Weird request, but need some help.

My mothers favourite song of all time is......Telstar by the Tornados (kind of cool no? lol)

I need to find a copy ASAP for their 50th wedding anniversary, and just want to know what I should look for if I'm trying to find the most accurate copy.

Any help is appreciated. I've got like 3 weeks + a day or two. Me and my other siblings are scrambling a bit and this is just a very minor touch.

They seem very available from discogs but these are probably all re-releases, if I could track down an original pressing for example, that would be special.

Thanks!

andybeau
long player
long player
England

Re: 45 for my parents 50th wedding anniversary.

Post by andybeau » 01 Mar 2019 20:35

Lots of originals for sale on Discogs from my quick search

josephazannieri
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by josephazannieri » 01 Mar 2019 20:42

Yo Zer0beaT:

The particular song you are looking for was issued on the London label (same as the early Rolling Stones). The B-side was called Jungle Fever. It was hugely popular, so there are a lot of stray copies floating around. I would check the Famous Auction Website first. Here is a link to a page of copies of the song you seek:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... s&_sacat=0

Pick a copy that is Near Mint or better. Look for an original issue sleeve or a jacket in good shape. You can communicate with the seller to obtain a better description of the disc. My experience in buying records off the FAW has been good. Check the feedback to see if you have a reliable seller.
It shouldn't cost a huge amount, and I am sure your parents will be pleased. I purchased many records for my father during his life, and I was glad to inherit them at his death.

Best wishes to your parents, and good luck from that old buyer of obscure records,

Joe Z.

circularvibes
long player
long player

Post by circularvibes » 01 Mar 2019 21:55

eddie edirol
United States of America

Post by eddie edirol » 01 Mar 2019 23:27

Theres a whole lot of them on ebay

tlscapital
long player
long player
Belgium

Post by tlscapital » 02 Mar 2019 15:19

Get a Canadian London original release for cheap I'd suggest. It's a vinyl issue (the USA is styrene) and the Canadian masterings are louder and press on good quality vinyl. I am a record collector and so I seek my American music on firsts American releases, but for someone who's not peculiar as I am, this release should prove a "safer" bet IMHO.

https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/2234308?ev=rb

Zer0beaT

Post by Zer0beaT » 08 Mar 2019 14:03

Thanks for the help :D

I went with the one in Canada we'll see if it shows up in time.

Hopefully it sounds pretty clean. Not gonna lie I also really love Telstar too :lol: but also really love hearing my mom talk about this song and what it was like way back when. A strange hit you know?

I actually just remembered that I listened to the Joe Meek box set a long time ago which has a lot of outtakes surrounding this song and it's really interesting how he came up with the tune, also pretty funny too and he tried to do it again looking for another hit but he never really got there again.

Anyway, thanks for the help everyone! This anniversary is coming fast and it feels like my family are letting it go to the last minute to put something together because we're all really busy, but a 50th wedding anniversary is nothing to take lightly in my opinion and hopefully it turns out well, and my mother will hopefully get a kick out of hearing Telstar on vinyl whether that's at the dinner or just when she comes around to visit you know?

I'm gonna enjoy it too. Anyway it was basically $2 for the record and $4 shipping. $6 is absolutely fine IMO.

Thanks! :)

J. S. Bach
United States of America

Post by J. S. Bach » 26 Mar 2019 17:19

Well, how did it work out? Inquiring (nosey?? :mrgreen: ) minds would like to know. I hope that it all did go well.