Post by Lazarus Short » 01 Mar 2019 20:55

Spinner45
long player
long player

Re: Another Very Unconventional Turntable

Post by Spinner45 » 01 Mar 2019 22:54

Cute.
But that's it.
It's just another one of those "kickstarter" inventions, obviously to please the eyes.
And we all know about THAT type of situation.
See more here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/86 ... -by-miniot

Not my cup of tea.

AudioFeline
Australia

Post by AudioFeline » 01 Mar 2019 23:56

They think it's "wheely-good".
Ultimately is will be like the Crosley turntables - people will buy them out of interest, and then wonder why people say that records reproduce better than digital because their average quality CD player or streaming will sound better than the record-player they bought.

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 02 Mar 2019 01:38

Definitely ingenious, but I can't see it being anything better than mid fi,if that. Definitely a conversation piece. You could stir up quite a conversation, if you had one of these, working next to a Maglev, just for show.

chgc

Post by chgc » 02 Mar 2019 05:17

I don’t know if it actually works (which is, of course, key), and I doubt if I will buy one, but I like it. In another thread I bemoaned what I thought was a lack of innovation in current record player design. I still believe that the golden age of vinyl is long gone, never to return, but this looks to me like a modern interpretation of the SL-10 (one of my personal favorites), and I applaud the effort. It may be kind of a parlor trick, but if it works and it contributes to an appreciation of record players in the age of streaming, more power to them.

Jim Leach
United States of America

Post by Jim Leach » 02 Mar 2019 11:34

How do you cue up a specific song?

tlscapital
long player
long player
Belgium

Post by tlscapital » 02 Mar 2019 12:34

Jim Leach wrote:
02 Mar 2019 11:34
There you go trying to be the smart ass killing the overall enthusiasm around innovative futuristic technology... LOL ! :wink:

vanakaru

Post by vanakaru » 02 Mar 2019 14:34

Jim Leach wrote:
02 Mar 2019 11:34
Remote probably. But I never cue to songs so even this ability missing would not bother me.

chgc

Post by chgc » 02 Mar 2019 15:16

From the Kickstarter page: "In the center there’s a stick that controls all functions. On/off, play/pause, volume, even next or previous track."

chgc

Post by chgc » 02 Mar 2019 15:36

Clearly the inventors are going for a high “cute” or cool factor, but I think they are also trying for compactness and convenience. The thing apparently has a headphone out and uses infrared track sensors, so it would likely be simple to operate and would not require an elaborate (to kids who listen to music primarily through ear buds on there phones) stereo system. (Note: I’ve only spent about 20 minutes scanning the kickstarter page, so I’m just offering some initial impressions here.)

Woodbrains
England

Post by Woodbrains » 02 Mar 2019 15:47

chgc wrote:
02 Mar 2019 15:36
Clearly the inventors are going for a high “cute” or cool factor, but I think they are also trying for compactness and convenience. The thing apparently has a headphone out and uses infrared track sensors, so it would likely be simple to operate and would not require an elaborate (to kids who listen to music primarily through ear buds on there phones) stereo system. (Note: I’ve only spent about 20 minutes scanning the kickstarter page, so I’m just offering some initial impressions here.)
Hello,

Not sure if vinyl enthusiasts (presumably those owning some records) are bothered about saving space!

Mike.

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America
Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

Post by JDJX » 02 Mar 2019 15:52

Yeah, it's just another trying to "reinvent the wheel" idea.

It's just a modern version of a vertical drive / playback record player like which used to be on many juke boxes .

BTW, keep in mind that any vertical record player must use a spring to set tracking force which is not as reliable as gravity. :)
Last edited by JDJX on 02 Mar 2019 15:57, edited 1 time in total.

Woodbrains
England

Post by Woodbrains » 02 Mar 2019 15:55

Hello,

I'm being pedantic, but the 'tonearm made from a single piece of laminated mahogany' doesn't make any sense whatsoever! Sorry I am a wood craftsman, these things stick out.

There is no way to change the individually fitted Audio Technica AT95 cartridge. Don't think this is for serious listeners.

Mike.

chgc

Post by chgc » 02 Mar 2019 16:12

I hear you, Woodbrains. But I appreciate a record player that is easily moved around and doesn’t take up a lot of space. I can play records with an SL-10, a DJ pre, powered speakers, and a power source almost anywhere I want in a couple of minutes. (And what's wrong with "a single piece of laminated mahogany?")

chgc

Post by chgc » 02 Mar 2019 16:19

Sorry, make that "Mike."