How to identify Dual model?

twice the fun
Dnalsi
Canada

How to identify Dual model?

Post by Dnalsi » 21 Feb 2019 18:48

Hello all,

I have been searching and searching the net to find out how I can determine the model of my Dual turntable. Assuming it is a Dual table.. Maybe it just has a Dual cartridge?

I have some pictures attached. Any help would be great! Thank you :)
Attachments
IMG_9119.jpeg
(284.6 KiB) Downloaded 120 times
IMG_9114.JPG
(332.33 KiB) Downloaded 115 times
IMG_9099.JPG
(460.51 KiB) Downloaded 112 times
IMG_9098.JPG
(384.99 KiB) Downloaded 113 times

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Re: How to identify Dual model?

Post by Tinkaroo » 21 Feb 2019 19:09

It's hard to see clearly but possibly a 1015F.

Dnalsi
Canada

Post by Dnalsi » 21 Feb 2019 19:13

Thank you. I don't know why I didn't see it right on the turntable itself. Silly I am. I kept looking all around the casing.

circularvibes
long player
long player

Post by circularvibes » 21 Feb 2019 19:46

The cartridge is an Astatic ceramic. I don't remember the model, but it uses the N64sd stylus. That unit has the Circa 75 amplifier in it. They can be somewhat collectible.

mrow2
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by mrow2 » 22 Feb 2019 07:03

The cabinet (what parts I could see) appears nicely made. The maker chose not to provide an amplifier with pre-amplification for a moving-magnet cartridge, which is preferable in terms of true HiFi listening fidelity. The Astatic ceramic cartridge provides a high output signal requiring less amplification/simpler amplifier design and was often used on console stereo systems. The turntable appears to be very serviceable and the whole thing could look new or close to new if the rest of it is as in the photos. It is a stereo record player in a very nice furniture cabinet. Get everything just right, it can sound pretty good.

Dnalsi
Canada

Post by Dnalsi » 22 Feb 2019 18:12

mrow2 wrote:
22 Feb 2019 07:03
The cabinet (what parts I could see) appears nicely made. The maker chose not to provide an amplifier with pre-amplification for a moving-magnet cartridge, which is preferable in terms of true HiFi listening fidelity. The Astatic ceramic cartridge provides a high output signal requiring less amplification/simpler amplifier design and was often used on console stereo systems. The turntable appears to be very serviceable and the whole thing could look new or close to new if the rest of it is as in the photos. It is a stereo record player in a very nice furniture cabinet. Get everything just right, it can sound pretty good.
Thank you so much! It is a beautiful unit. The idler underneath table is noisy and it probably needs a new cartridge too which I will order. The Elevator Action changer spindle drops only one record at a time. Or if you stack multiple records it drops all of them at once. Is this an easy fix like replacing the spindle? Cannot find anyone out there with this issue.
Attachments
IMG_9125.jpeg
(375.92 KiB) Downloaded 81 times
IMG_9124.jpeg
(543.0599999999999 KiB) Downloaded 77 times

Dnalsi
Canada

Post by Dnalsi » 22 Feb 2019 18:13

circularvibes wrote:
21 Feb 2019 19:46
The cartridge is an Astatic ceramic. I don't remember the model, but it uses the N64sd stylus. That unit has the Circa 75 amplifier in it. They can be somewhat collectible.
Thank you for the help I will look for that cartridge and order one :)

circularvibes
long player
long player

Post by circularvibes » 22 Feb 2019 20:43

There is a thread for the spindle repair. I have never done it but have 2 that need repair. It involves replacing the small rubber blocks that used to be above the umbrella spikes. For the cartridge, if it doesn't work, try www.thevoiceofmusic.com, Gary is highly recommended for advice and replacements.

Spinner45
long player
long player

Post by Spinner45 » 22 Feb 2019 23:51

circularvibes wrote:
22 Feb 2019 20:43
There is a thread for the spindle repair. I have never done it but have 2 that need repair. It involves replacing the small rubber blocks that used to be above the umbrella spikes. For the cartridge, if it doesn't work, try www.thevoiceofmusic.com, Gary is highly recommended for advice and replacements.
I've replaced the rubber strips on one or two "1000 series" spindles - got one packed away, but it's a bear to do the right way!
Nevertheless, they function as new again.

Thank god the 1200 series did away with those rubber parts.

62vauxhall

Post by 62vauxhall » 25 Feb 2019 15:06

Re those spindles, for Dual 1000 series they are called AW-2.

Some years ago I found two NOS but the tiny rubber gripping blocks had fallen off despite never having been used and being brand new in the box. Back then, there was a business that offered servicing to those spindles and I sent them mine. They came back functional but eventually the rubber bits fell off again. Obviously the glue let go but judicious use of JB Weld has so far been successful. That was the only stuff I could think of which would bond dissimilar materials.

But it was the original blocks I had to work with. Most often, those have long gone and a substitute needed. Even though I have a couple of other AW-2 spindles in that condition, I have not experimented with "sculpting" replacements from something.

I do remember back then, reading of such a repair and some candidates for "donor rubber" being mentioned. Using the search term "repair Dual AW2 spindle" might produce some recommendations and techniques.

Spinner45
long player
long player

Post by Spinner45 » 25 Feb 2019 17:06

62vauxhall wrote:
25 Feb 2019 15:06

Some years ago I found two NOS but the tiny rubber gripping blocks had fallen off despite never having been used and being brand new in the box. Back then, there was a business that offered servicing to those spindles and I sent them mine. They came back functional but eventually the rubber bits fell off again. Obviously the glue let go but judicious use of JB Weld has so far been successful. That was the only stuff I could think of which would bond dissimilar materials.

But it was the original blocks I had to work with. Most often, those have long gone and a substitute needed. Even though I have a couple of other AW-2 spindles in that condition, I have not experimented with "sculpting" replacements from something.

I do remember back then, reading of such a repair and some candidates for "donor rubber" being mentioned. Using the search term "repair Dual AW2 spindle" might produce some recommendations and techniques.
Gary Stork on his VM website provides a rebuilding service for those spindles.
The ones I rebuilt, I used a 1.5 or 2 MM square cross section belt used for cassette machines, and secured it with a tiny bit of twin-tube epoxy.
So far so good.

62vauxhall

Post by 62vauxhall » 26 Feb 2019 00:22

Spinner45 wrote:
25 Feb 2019 17:06
62vauxhall wrote:
25 Feb 2019 15:06

Gary Stork on his VM website provides a rebuilding service for those spindles.
The ones I rebuilt, I used a 1.5 or 2 MM square cross section belt used for cassette machines, and secured it with a tiny bit of twin-tube epoxy.
So far so good.
That's a good call on the square belts - just need to cut to length.