Muffsy DIY Phono Preamp Kit

the thin end of the wedge
Post Reply
Jorlsafar
senior member
senior member
Posts: 653
Joined: 23 May 2008 00:51
Location: Sweden

Muffsy DIY Phono Preamp Kit

Post by Jorlsafar » 31 Dec 2018 17:57

Hi,

I-m amassing a lot of TTs and need another phono pre. Has anyone tried the Muffsy? Is it any good? Is it easy to build?

See locked thread: https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... sy#p667018

See Muffsy's home page: https://www.tindie.com/products/skrodah ... reamp-kit/

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

pivot
long player
long player
United States of America
Posts: 4793
Joined: 27 Dec 2002 15:31
Location: Albany, NY USA
Contact:

Re: Muffsy DIY Phono Preamp Kit

Post by pivot » 31 Dec 2018 18:29

Do keep in mind you need the power supply and possibly the back panel and a case to put it in. Have you built electronics kits before?

Jorlsafar
senior member
senior member
Posts: 653
Joined: 23 May 2008 00:51
Location: Sweden

Re: Muffsy DIY Phono Preamp Kit

Post by Jorlsafar » 01 Jan 2019 02:32

pivot wrote:
31 Dec 2018 18:29
Do keep in mind you need the power supply and possibly the back panel and a case to put it in. Have you built electronics kits before?
Thanks yeah!

I have not built any kits before but I have soldered, mending broken joints on boards and similar.

Jorlsafar
senior member
senior member
Posts: 653
Joined: 23 May 2008 00:51
Location: Sweden

Re: Muffsy DIY Phono Preamp Kit

Post by Jorlsafar » 17 Feb 2019 11:16

Hi there!

I successfully built the muffsy, since 11 minutes! In spite of having limited and dated soldering experience with such small boards, it now works. The instructions are very easy to follow. It sounds very good.

pivot
long player
long player
United States of America
Posts: 4793
Joined: 27 Dec 2002 15:31
Location: Albany, NY USA
Contact:

Re: Muffsy DIY Phono Preamp Kit

Post by pivot » 17 Feb 2019 16:12

Good for you!!

What do you have to compare it to? Give a report with info on how you cased it up and powered it. Good to see another DIY kit out there.

Jorlsafar
senior member
senior member
Posts: 653
Joined: 23 May 2008 00:51
Location: Sweden

Re: Muffsy DIY Phono Preamp Kit

Post by Jorlsafar » 17 Feb 2019 19:23

pivot wrote:
17 Feb 2019 16:12
Good for you!!

What do you have to compare it to? Give a report with info on how you cased it up and powered it. Good to see another DIY kit out there.
Thanks pivot!

For ten years I have used the on-board phono (MM/MC) on my Rotel RC 995, that comes highly regarded but doesn't belong in the high-high end according to those in the know. :D For my other systems I use a Rega fono mk1, where some components have been swapped for better components. I also use a Sansui AU5900 for gramophone service as well as a Tandberg receiver that's a bit noisy. Finally I use a Pioneer DJM mixer.

It sounded "shy" when I first played it, compared to the Rotel. But I left it on until the evening and now it's more vivid and alive. It it's dead silent and plays very, very well. I may already say that it has more separation that both the Rega and the Rotel, but I'll report back when I've been playing some more.

The building instructions from Muffsy are very easy to follow. You do't get any schematics, but a picture of the PCB board is on the webtpage, showing where each component goes in steps as the building proceeds. The pictures of the PCB are accompanied by photographs, showing where the components go for each step. The PCB board is crammed, but if you follow the order on the webpage that's no problem.

See building instructions: https://www.muffsy.com/muffsy-pp4.html

Neither box nor transformer are supplied. You need to get a generic box over ebay, for instance, and get a transformer that suits your mains voltage and type of socket (I'm in Sweden).

The reason why I got the Muffsy was that I wanted the opportunity to play around with loads and gain (I have never seen so many resistors at once). I will complete the Riaa with the Muffsy SUT, or Head Amp, as they call it, to be able to play MC carts, and to optimise its performance thanks to the many settings in both the Riaa and the SUT.

Head Amp: https://www.tindie.com/products/skrodah ... d-amp-kit/

The board was a lot smaller than it appeared (to me) on the pictures and I had to get a bigger and flat point for my soldering iron to be able to heat it up enough to get the solder liquid.

Will report back if there is any interest. :D

wolfie62
senior member
senior member
United States of America
Posts: 821
Joined: 04 Jan 2017 16:47
Location: Birmingham

Re: Muffsy DIY Phono Preamp Kit

Post by wolfie62 » 19 Feb 2019 20:43

I have 9 vintage tables currently in operation, and ran into the same problem as you: I needed 9 phono preamps that all operate identically, or sound identical, in order to keep the cables short, and be able to switch line level signals to my amplifiers. Plus, the phono preamps have to sound really good, AND fit in my low budget.

I spent months researching this. I tried one of the cheap Chinese preamps; it worked fine, was inexpensive, but just didn’t sound good at all. It sounded tinny and thin.

Then I took a gamble on a fully assembled board, using no op-amps, but instead uses discreet low noise transistors. To keep size down, I chose the SMD model. It comes in a through-hole version also.

This little MM phono preamp is VERY good! I like it better than the Graham Slee unit I have, and it is fully on par with my SAE preamp. It’s very quiet, deep and airy, tight, yet sweet. It’s from an early 1980s design, when records were still the preeminent music medium. It meets all my criteria for budget, sound, quality, size, and ease of incorporating into my setup. Uses an easy 12 vdc power supply, which I stole from the cheap Chinese unit.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3055886898

I am using these for the enclosure:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2734338544

Laila1
senior member
senior member
Posts: 280
Joined: 05 Apr 2008 22:08
Location: Sweden

Re: Muffsy DIY Phono Preamp Kit

Post by Laila1 » 19 Feb 2019 23:10

Jorlsafar wrote:
17 Feb 2019 19:23
.....
The board was a lot smaller than it appeared (to me) on the pictures and I had to get a bigger and flat point for my soldering iron to be able to heat it up enough to get the solder liquid.

Will report back if there is any interest. :D
Good luck my friend(CODY?) . . . and please report back . . . tajp. :D

Jorlsafar
senior member
senior member
Posts: 653
Joined: 23 May 2008 00:51
Location: Sweden

Re: Muffsy DIY Phono Preamp Kit

Post by Jorlsafar » 20 Feb 2019 06:17

wolfie62 wrote:
19 Feb 2019 20:43
I have 9 vintage tables currently in operation, and ran into the same problem as you: I needed 9 phono preamps that all operate identically, or sound identical, in order to keep the cables short, and be able to switch line level signals to my amplifiers. Plus, the phono preamps have to sound really good, AND fit in my low budget.

I spent months researching this. I tried one of the cheap Chinese preamps; it worked fine, was inexpensive, but just didn’t sound good at all. It sounded tinny and thin.

Then I took a gamble on a fully assembled board, using no op-amps, but instead uses discreet low noise transistors. To keep size down, I chose the SMD model. It comes in a through-hole version also.

This little MM phono preamp is VERY good! I like it better than the Graham Slee unit I have, and it is fully on par with my SAE preamp. It’s very quiet, deep and airy, tight, yet sweet. It’s from an early 1980s design, when records were still the preeminent music medium. It meets all my criteria for budget, sound, quality, size, and ease of incorporating into my setup. Uses an easy 12 vdc power supply, which I stole from the cheap Chinese unit.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3055886898

I am using these for the enclosure:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2734338544

Wow, that was a cheap solution. I will keep that in mind as I have a few carcasses in the cellar demanding to be heard. And you cannot distrust the judgement of a man with a JVC YQF as regards sound quality.

The reason I went for the Muffsy is that I wanted to play around with loads etc. And there's also a head amp from them. To get the same functionality with quality you'll need to pay double for a ready made unit, like the ifi phono.

Jorlsafar
senior member
senior member
Posts: 653
Joined: 23 May 2008 00:51
Location: Sweden

Re: Muffsy DIY Phono Preamp Kit

Post by Jorlsafar » 20 Feb 2019 06:21

Laila1 wrote:
19 Feb 2019 23:10
Jorlsafar wrote:
17 Feb 2019 19:23
.....
The board was a lot smaller than it appeared (to me) on the pictures and I had to get a bigger and flat point for my soldering iron to be able to heat it up enough to get the solder liquid.

Will report back if there is any interest. :D
Good luck my friend(CODY?) . . . and please report back . . . tajp. :D
Of course dear senior member Laila! Thank you - Come On Die Young, as they say. :D Have you built the Head Amp? What's your opinion on the Muffsy with regard to sound quality given your vast experience?

Laila1
senior member
senior member
Posts: 280
Joined: 05 Apr 2008 22:08
Location: Sweden

Re: Muffsy DIY Phono Preamp Kit

Post by Laila1 » 20 Feb 2019 13:42

Sorry Jorlsafar haven't heard it, but it looks to be decent.

/ Lars

Post Reply