Budget record collecting

name that tune
Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Re: Budget record collecting

Post by Tinkaroo » 25 Jan 2019 09:59

I went to a couple of thrift shops and found the following LPs in great shape for a buck apiece.

-Grover Washington Jr.-Winelight-1980
-The Best if Chuck Mangione-Mercury- 2LPs-1973
-Ray Price-A Tribute to Willie & Kris-1981
-Joan Armatrading-Walk Under Ladders-1981

Also the following CDs:
-Roxy Music-Avalon-1982
-Roxy Music-Best Of-2001
-Buckwheat Zydeco-Menagerie-1993
-Alicia Keys-Songs in A Minor-2001
-Legend-The Best of Bob Marley-2002
-Glenn Frey-Solo Collection-1995
-Irish Tenors-We Three Kings-2003

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 26 Jan 2019 04:03

Good stuff there, Tink...I have some Alicia Keys on vinyl and if you like the solo Glenn Frey stuff, keep a look out for this jazzier offering of his...It's also on vinyl, as well as CD...And his last studio effort! :)

https://www.discogs.com/Glenn-Frey-Afte ... ter/459294

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 26 Jan 2019 09:59

Thanks, I will keep my eyes open for some of Glenn Frey's newer stuff too VM!

I managed to find a few other LPs yesterday, some for $1, and a few for $2.

-Sergio Mendes Trio-So Nice-Pickwick SPC-3149
-Manhattan Transfer- Self Titled(debut?) 1975
-Manhattan Transfer-Pastiche-1978
-Nitty Gritty Dirt Band-An American Dream-1979

-Seals and Crofts-I'll Play For You-1975
-J.D. Souther- You're Only Lonely-1970
-Chuck Mangione- Fun and Games-1980
-Coming On Strong-Brenda Lee-Decca DL4825
-The Seekers-Self Titled-Pickwick SPC-3068

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 26 Jan 2019 12:24

All favorites, Tink! If you like the Transfer, I would encourage you to look for "Mecca For Moderns", "Extensions", "Bodies And Souls", "Brasil" and any of their other 80's releases, as well as the Rare Silk album "New Weave"...

Oh, and tell me you didn't buy that Brenda Lee album after hearing the title tune sung about in Golden Earring's "Radar Love"? :-k

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 26 Jan 2019 16:21

I will keep an eye open for more Manhattan Transfer, but for a buck each in great shape they were a good deal. I do have some of there other LPs.

Yes, Brenda Lee and Golden Earing are strange bedfellows but as music lovers we can love them both!

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 16 Feb 2019 11:49

A few more that I'd picked up in my recent travels include...

1. HUBERT LAWS Romeo & Juliet
2. HANK LOCKLIN Down Texas Way
3. HANK LOCKLIN Golden Hits
4. DENNIS YOST & THE CLASSICS IV Song

and at another thrift store yesterday...

5. THE MARKETTS Sun Power (groovy cover!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BthiKURQIE

6. THE HONEYDREAMERS Really Livin'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6g7rKBcCbg

Just a few more fun titles to add to the collection...

JoeE SP9
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by JoeE SP9 » 16 Feb 2019 21:09

vm;
With all the vinyl you're constantly buying how do you keep track of what you already have?

citizenarcane
long player
long player

Post by citizenarcane » 17 Feb 2019 04:19

I use a docs.google spreadsheet I update on my pc that I can access on the phone; this allows me to check to see what I already own (about 1300 discs to date). Also make note of the very few inferior condition albums I own so they can be replaced by ones in better shape as I find them.

DasherF
United States of America

Post by DasherF » 17 Feb 2019 07:07

I'd wondered how many you owned, vm... your pics seem like much more. Does that include both LPs and 45s? (I probably hadn't read back far enough...) :oops:

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 17 Feb 2019 11:44

vinyl master wrote:
16 Feb 2019 11:49
A few more that I'd picked up in my recent travels include...

1. HUBERT LAWS Romeo & Juliet
2. HANK LOCKLIN Down Texas Way
3. HANK LOCKLIN Golden Hits
4. DENNIS YOST & THE CLASSICS IV Song

and at another thrift store yesterday...

5. THE MARKETTS Sun Power (groovy cover!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BthiKURQIE

6. THE HONEYDREAMERS Really Livin'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6g7rKBcCbg

Just a few more fun titles to add to the collection...
Those sound like some great finds VM! 8)

In regards to a question from recent posters:

I know you have your music all catalogued but probably have a good idea in your head of what you have and don't have even though that gets harder when you reach the number you have. However for the prices on some of these finds we can afford to take chances, and the new copy may actually be better than our current copy, as in a better cover or better condition LP.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 17 Feb 2019 13:39

OK, guys...For those inquiring minds who want to know...I have them all catalogued...In case you missed it, here are a few pages from my database...I use the OrangeCD program and have a good 12,000+ LP's catalogued and have added more since this posting...

viewtopic.php?t=95381

Now, not all the records are organized alphabetically...yet! I've entered them as I've acquired them...I have different databases devoted to different genres...Each item gets a special catalogue number...I note the reference number, artist, title, format, year, label, category and location of item...I can compile various lists, say of just Uriah Heep records or all the records on a certain shelf (or box) or of a certain year...I can find almost any album in my collection that way...Sometimes, I've bought a duplicate album, but many times it's a good one and eventually I can weed out any duplicates by gifting them away or selling them...Most times, the second copy is a better upgrade than the first copy...When they're cheap enough, you can afford to splurge a little, too...

As I noted before here...about 12,000...

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=62509&p=501243#p501243

I've since counted 14,000+ LP's and 8,000+ 45's, but I've probably added a few more since then in the last year or two (15,000?)...

...though I'm not as bad as some people...

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=89746

As I've said, it's more fun than anything and once it's not fun anymore, it's not worth doing...

JoeE SP9
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by JoeE SP9 » 17 Feb 2019 14:50

Like you I use a database (that I wrote for MS Access) to keep track of my recordings. Unlike you I have only one database. However, it includes everything I need to know about any recording. The database includes LP's, CD's and cassette tape. I wrote the database in the 1990's when MS office was first introduced. Since then I've kept it updated with newer versions of Access.

OTOH; I've reduced my vinyl collection to ~1100 from 3500+ by getting rid of things I'll never play. I will probably winnow my CD collection also. It is currently at ~1600. Many of them will never be played by me while someone else might play them frequently.

DasherF
United States of America

Post by DasherF » 17 Feb 2019 16:33

I (wonceuponstime) {sp?} used to use P2P as well for the first 500 45s and first 1000 LPs, quit, then just alphabetized them like the the browsers in stores in file bracket boxes AND boxes from work.
To go back to listing them now would be a 72 hour week...no job... :shock: (?)...kinda wanna dooit, tho...

davidsss
long player
long player
Australia

Post by davidsss » 18 Feb 2019 09:28

Yeah, I use a speadsheet for the 1500 I have. In 3 sections: classical, popular music and a bunch I inherited when a friend died. It is invaluable as I have bought a few I already owned, so I keep a copy of the spreadsheet on my phone. It saved me only a few weeks ago as I considered buying an album, then found I already had it.

DS

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 19 Feb 2019 06:25

DasherF wrote:
17 Feb 2019 16:33
I (wonceuponstime) {sp?} used to use P2P as well for the first 500 45s and first 1000 LPs, quit, then just alphabetized them like the the browsers in stores in file bracket boxes AND boxes from work.
To go back to listing them now would be a 72 hour week...no job... :shock: (?)...kinda wanna dooit, tho...
Remember, too, Dasher...I've been doing it a little at a time since 2011...It's worked out pretty good for me and if you add a few entries at a time in sessions, it's not too bad...If you don't have as many albums, the job is a bit easier...I just had so many records at one point, I NEEDED to be able to keep track of them all...I compartmentalize a lot of things, so having separate databases by genre made it easier to find any album I need...I tend to associate certain albums with certain genres and it helps when I want to make special playlists...If I want to create a folk playlist, say with only songs that have "San Francisco" in the title, say...I could do that since I note all the tracklistings/song titles to every album and have the ability to make lists using different criteria (e.g. all Lennon-McCartney covers, various versions of "Stardust", songs about crying, etc.)...It's my own personal system and there's always a method to my madness, as they say...The LP's are pretty much accounted for, while the 45's have been a work in progress...I've been adding to the database steadily and it's been a fun project...My vinyl mentor tried cataloguing his 45's in a notebook, but only got as far as A-F...He's not as computer literate as I am, but I've told him if you want to complete it, you just have to stick with it...The Internet has made the job much easier...I can add albums via Amazon or Discogs, but I usually end up tweaking the listings, to make sure the details are right...For example, when the tracklisting of my particular album varies or if the cover art is different, etc.