Where to find a headshell for the Pioneer PL-S40?

the final frontier
clearedtoland

Where to find a headshell for the Pioneer PL-S40?

Post by clearedtoland » 26 Jan 2019 19:31

Hey everyone,

I recently acquired a Pioneer PL-S40 turntable. It came with a P-mount headshell. Recently, I noticed that the cartridge it came with wasn't sounding good to me, so I began looking for a new one. However, finding good P-mount cartridges is a challenge! I bought an AT450 replacement, but I'm still worried about a few years down the line when I need to look for another replacement. Looking in the manual (https://www.vinylengine.com/library/pio ... -s40.shtml) I noticed that the turntable shipped with a headshell called the PXB-564. In my search, I have only found one place that has it in stock (https://snvinyl.co.uk/Pioneer-M-type-re ... ll-PXB-563), but it is quite pricey and the site doesn't look exactly "trustworthy."

So that's why I'm here today. Does anyone know of a place where I can get a replacement for this headshell, OEM or not? It goes by the names PXB-564, JP-518, JP-513, and PXA-882. Thanks!

Landolaman1
Great Britain

Re: Where to find a headshell for the Pioneer PL-S40?

Post by Landolaman1 » 26 Jan 2019 20:34

clearedtoland wrote:
26 Jan 2019 19:31
Hey everyone,

I recently acquired a Pioneer PL-S40 turntable. It came with a P-mount headshell. Recently, I noticed that the cartridge it came with wasn't sounding good to me, so I began looking for a new one. However, finding good P-mount cartridges is a challenge! I bought an AT450 replacement, but I'm still worried about a few years down the line when I need to look for another replacement. Looking in the manual (https://www.vinylengine.com/library/pio ... -s40.shtml) I noticed that the turntable shipped with a headshell called the PXB-564. In my search, I have only found one place that has it in stock (https://snvinyl.co.uk/Pioneer-M-type-re ... ll-PXB-563), but it is quite pricey and the site doesn't look exactly "trustworthy."

So that's why I'm here today. Does anyone know of a place where I can get a replacement for this headshell, OEM or not? It goes by the names PXB-564, JP-518, JP-513, and PXA-882. Thanks!
Hi there. Pretty sure you won't be able to change a P-Mount headshell on that TT. You'll need to get a new stylus or cartridge. I run a Audio Technica ATN3472BE cartridge and believe you may be able to come across one or a reasonable P-Mount cartridge if you look on various sites. Good luck, Neil.

musicmn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by musicmn » 27 Jan 2019 00:13

Hi, I have serviced a couple of these turntables in the last two yrs and I've never seen one with a P mount head shell. I did find a picture of this turntable on the web and that one had the P mount head shell (live and learn). I think you should be able to find a nice preforming P mount cartridge that will work with this tonearm. The good thing about the tonearm is the fact that you do have and adjustable counter weight to set the tracking force. And this turntable has and adjustable anti skate. I would just keep checking E bay for the 1/2" mount head shell or check a site called oragandonorparts.com they may have something. But expect to pay a pretty price for it these are a proprietary type part that only fits a couple of different pioneer models. i hope this helps.

clearedtoland

Post by clearedtoland » 27 Jan 2019 20:11

musicmn wrote:
27 Jan 2019 00:13
I would just keep checking E bay for the 1/2" mount head shell or check a site called oragandonorparts.com they may have something. But expect to pay a pretty price for it these are a proprietary type part that only fits a couple of different pioneer models.
Thanks for the advice!

Japi Roelofs
long player
long player
Netherlands

Post by Japi Roelofs » 27 Jan 2019 20:19

I have Pioneer PL-340 turntable that looks just like yours - it's a belt drive model but the tonearm looks identical. You could use this model number to expand your search. Other models might have the same arm too.

clearedtoland

Post by clearedtoland » 30 Jan 2019 02:33

Japi Roelofs wrote:
27 Jan 2019 20:19
I have Pioneer PL-340 turntable that looks just like yours - it's a belt drive model but the tonearm looks identical. You could use this model number to expand your search. Other models might have the same arm too.
This did it for me! Found the exact part I needed. Thanks so much!

KentT
long player
long player

Post by KentT » 08 Feb 2019 14:14

Your T4p mount model is T4p mount only. No headshell. This turntable was sold with a 1/2" mount, but to do that, you'd have to find a replacement tonearm from a 1/2" mount version which had the headshell. Otherwise, not doable.

Kashofa
United States of America

Post by Kashofa » 25 Oct 2019 22:18

I have a PL-S40 with a pmount headshell. It does interchange with Pioneer’s 1/2” mount headshell for the same model line, which I discovered by taking the headshell from a PL-750 and putting it on the S40. It’s the same headshell from the wires back.

You can find a few headshells for these for sale on eBay every so often but they are growing less common and more expensive. Of course you can also find some good pmount cartridges and use one of them. There are enough pmount turntables in use that it remains profitable to keep making cartridges and styli.