Rega Moth

on level ground
crusaderlord
England

Rega Moth

Post by crusaderlord » 12 Jan 2019 18:52

I have joined the vinyl club after a long gap and bought a Rega Moth with acrylic platter and Nagaoka MP-110 for £245, all in pretty excellent condition it seems.

http://crusadersgames.co.uk/assets/images/regamoth1.jpg

I debated with myself a long time deciding if i should buy a new Planar 2, but i wasn't totally convinced i would stick with vinyl so started at a moderate entry point, also i like matt tables.

However listening has surprised me how good it is, it sounds amazing even compared to my much more expensive cd player, with the few 180g albums i actually have. I am now wondering if it should have gone for a new Rega Planar 2 or maybe a 3. I will stick with what i have for a while, but just wondered what the forum opinions are on how much better a new table might be, or is what i have pretty comparable really.

andybeau
long player
long player
England

Re: Rega Moth

Post by andybeau » 12 Jan 2019 19:11

Stick with the Moth. The P3 maybe slightly better. P6 or above to get better, if sticking with Rega. Enjoy and buy records.

Oh yes and welcome to the forum

Pauw
Netherlands

Post by Pauw » 12 Jan 2019 19:54

By that takes me back .....a Rega Moth ...that was just about where The Rega Story started.....it was a great effort at a table and I seem to remember a giant killer at a reasonable price point when it came out.....great to see one still performing well.

james73_2008
long player
long player
Scotland

Post by james73_2008 » 13 Jan 2019 00:47

The Moth is a rebadged "old" Planar 2 - the tonearm on the Moth is a RB250, much better than the current equivalent IMHO. My RB250 arm is also a "Moth" version except it has the green logo, not the red one. I've had mine rewired, foam filled and strip-polished by Audio Origami. Worth every penny.

You can upgrade your deck with a metal subplatter, low-slung counterweight for the arm (and maybe get the arm rewired), and perhaps a different platter (acrylic or delrin).

Enjoy.

James H

Fire99
Canada

Post by Fire99 » 13 Jan 2019 01:02

It’s a slippery slope :D I would just enjoy listening to what you have now and decide in the future what direction you want to take. Congrats and enjoy!

Pikey
England

Post by Pikey » 19 Jan 2019 11:46

You often see Moths on ebay , I nearly bought one myself about a year ago, no arm with it though ... should be a good table!

crusaderlord
England

Post by crusaderlord » 24 Jan 2019 17:17

Thanks for the comments - i wrote a quick blog about my rega purchases and historic sale regrets > http://crusadersgames.co.uk/general/rega-turntable/

I have to say the Moth table has rekindled my desire to play music as a hobby. I am going to build up my album collection a while but am really keen one day to get a Planar 6. I do have to wait due to other family commitments but i am a little tempted to sell my streaming device and an oppo dac i bought to use with my phone (and largely sitting in a draw), so i can get there quicker.

I must be patient ... better to get more records first and enjoy the Moth. Maybe i will get a sub platter and put the future desire on hold for a few years. I am quite glad i did not get a new Planar 2 though.

Pauw
Netherlands

Post by Pauw » 24 Jan 2019 17:29

It is great that your Moth has rekindled your desire to play and enjoy music......I hope that now, you will play and enjoy plenty of music . As you do....be mindful of the current experience of enjoying the music and do enjoy it. The main part of this hobby is to enjoy the music. There are many who lose this and become locked into a cycle.... I like this but want to upgrade to...........they then go on running after upgrades.......the music enjoyment drops to second or lower........ :D