Need 15' long RCA cable between turntable and receiver

snap, crackle and pop
aj_chicago

Need 15' long RCA cable between turntable and receiver

Post by aj_chicago » 22 Jan 2019 01:59

Had to erect an huge curio, wall display unit that was inherited from the lady-of-the-house's deceased mother, so it's gotta be there. It wraps around two walls and took away my audio cabinet space! :( Had to move the cabinet to the other side of the patio door and I cannot put the turntable on the same side as the cabinet. Have vintage receivers on top of the cabinet because they will not fit inside, so no turntable on the top. It has to be moved to the other side of the door to a new setup/cabinet. Problem is that the RCA cable length between the Dual turntable (running mostly Shure V15 III, IV, V cartridges) and the Pioneer SX-780, or Mitsubishi DA-R25 receivers will have to increase to at least 15 feet. Will that be a problem? Anyone with any experience doing this? I miss my turntables. :( Thanks.

Spinner45
long player
long player

Re: Need 15' long RCA cable between turntable and receiver

Post by Spinner45 » 22 Jan 2019 02:43

aj_chicago wrote:
22 Jan 2019 01:59
Had to erect an huge curio, wall display unit that was inherited from the lady-of-the-house's deceased mother, so it's gotta be there. It wraps around two walls and took away my audio cabinet space! :( Had to move the cabinet to the other side of the patio door and I cannot put the turntable on the same side as the cabinet. Have vintage receivers on top of the cabinet because they will not fit inside, so no turntable on the top. It has to be moved to the other side of the door to a new setup/cabinet. Problem is that the RCA cable length between the Dual turntable (running mostly Shure V15 III, IV, V cartridges) and the Pioneer SX-780, or Mitsubishi DA-R25 receivers will have to increase to at least 15 feet. Will that be a problem? Anyone with any experience doing this? I miss my turntables. :( Thanks.
Don't do it.
Others will mention the excessive capacitance that long cables would have.
But the important issue is HUM pickup.
Turntables were not designed for 15 foot runs from the preamp, and never were wired that way.
It's simply just not done.

Sunwire
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by Sunwire » 22 Jan 2019 03:40

Still not ideal, but a possible solution:
Get an external phono preamplifier. Keep it right next to the turntable, so the phono leads between the turntable and preamp are short.
Then use long interconnects from the output of the phono preamp to an AUX input on your receiver.
For such a long run, it will be best if the long interconnect is relatively low in capacitance. But if the output impedance of the phono preamp is relatively low and the input impedance of the AUX input on the receiver is relatively high, it should work OK.
My knowledge of impedance matching and cabling is pretty basic. I'm sure there are others on the forum who can give advice with more authority than I can.

bernard1
France

Post by bernard1 » 22 Jan 2019 12:34

I would try those balancing adapters between phono preamp (as close as possible to turntable as recommended by Sunwire), and the amp : https://www.neutrik.com/en/product/na2m-d2b-tx or https://www.thomann.de/fr/neutrik_na2fd2btx.htm (no affiliation)
For each channel (R and L) you put one at each end of a xlr-xlr cable. This cable can then be as long as you wish and the link will be totally hum or interference free.

To resume, you need 4 transformer balancing adapters and 2 xlr cables.

ChrisfromRI
United States of America

Post by ChrisfromRI » 22 Jan 2019 13:46

What Sunwire said. Get a phono stage that you can mount at the turntable, and then use the long interconnects to send line level signal (~ 1 Volt). The phono cartridge signal at under 5 Millivolts is more fragile and will be influenced by cable capaciticance, resistance, and possibly hum.

I have done exactly this on one of our systems and it works fine with no adverse effects.

KentT
long player
long player

Post by KentT » 23 Jan 2019 01:01

Seconded. Get a phono stage which you can install at the turntable within 3 feet, run the phono stage output into a line input, this way your sound quality won't be affected. No hum, noise, or sound quality issues doing this way. No capacitance loading issues or ground issues this way also.

hobie1dog
United States of America

Post by hobie1dog » 23 Jan 2019 01:41

KentT wrote:
23 Jan 2019 01:01
Seconded. Get a phono stage which you can install at the turntable within 3 feet, run the phono stage output into a line input, this way your sound quality won't be affected. No hum, noise, or sound quality issues doing this way. No capacitance loading issues or ground issues this way also.
+3

Order your long rca cables from monoprice.com

Cloudbase

Post by Cloudbase » 23 Jan 2019 08:55

Id second the solution about placing a phono preamp close to the turntable then running the output from this to the receiver input. I have to do the same in my set up because the pre/power amps sit beneath the tv with the speakers either side but the radio and turntable sit at least 12 foot away.
The pre is a passive device, zero issues with volume.
I have no issues that I can detect, no hum etc. It has to work and for me luckily it does.
I used shark phono cable with home soldered terminations. A selector box swaps between radio/turntable using a high quality rotary switch.

.. Alan

JoeE SP9
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by JoeE SP9 » 23 Jan 2019 13:49

hobie1dog wrote:
23 Jan 2019 01:41
KentT wrote:
23 Jan 2019 01:01
+3

Order your long rca cables from monoprice.com
Beware! Monoprice cables tend to be stiff and the RCA's grip like Hercules.

AudioFeline
Australia

Post by AudioFeline » 28 Jan 2019 12:40

I made some long rca cables from Belden 1505f, seemed to work OK. Some shrinkwrap placed periodically along the way keeps the l+r cables together, for tidiness. I also put some techflex on top so they looked good, as part of their run was visible.
But use them from a phono preamp to the Aux of you amp (as suggested above), NOT as an extension lead from the turntable to the phono input of your amp.

aj_chicago

Post by aj_chicago » 02 Feb 2019 21:09

I must have my notification option messed up because I never received an email notification that I had any response so I assumed I had none. Should have known better. Thanks for the responses. I think preamp is the way I will go... and still some long rca cables.

aj_chicago

Post by aj_chicago » 02 Feb 2019 21:11

Yep.... somehow, posting notifications got turned off. I didn't do it!

ChefER

Post by ChefER » 17 Oct 2019 09:53

Not to worry, it can be done. I've done it many times. First you need to get a separate phono preamp or some sort of preamp for connection of the Dual turntable RCA cables and ground wire. The maximum distance is the length of the Dual turntable cables which are short to the new preamp. The preamp needs enough power to send the signal 15' to the receiver.
Second, get a shielded RCA cable the long length you need from the preamp to your receiver-AUX input this time, not the PHONO. (I've done it using the Phono input, but I was cautiously monitoring levels to keep low. Not recommend.)
That's it.
WAF factor is moot.

Note: I've only used mixer preamps and not specific phono preamps.
My set up- My turntables [rotating collection of a Dual 1249, Pioneer PL540, Sony LX2, Hitachi PS48, Technics 1200/5300/,etc] to a preamp; a Pioneer DJ M300S mixer/preamplifier. Then from the mixer, shielded RCA cable (hidden) across a 20' room into my main system. Works perfect.

KentT
long player
long player

Post by KentT » 19 Oct 2019 01:10

Buy a phono preamplifier and keep it within 3 feet of the turntable, connect the output of the preamp, to the best quality long RCA cables you can buy. This way sound quality is not ruined by excessive capacitance loading, and connect the preamp output to a line input on your amplifier.

jackie

Post by jackie » 19 Oct 2019 10:48

No problem, I did it with mine and use it every day, just buy a decent well made one.