DIY turntable basics.

snap, crackle and pop
slimecity

DIY turntable basics.

Post by slimecity » 13 Jan 2019 05:12

Hi there.

I am remodelling a rapidly failing Pioneer PL600 (one of the good ones). I have removed the corroded top plate, and attached all electronics and the trafo to the sprung bottom plate.

I may get hum from the trafo - I will deal with that if it becomes an issue.

All the electronics basically maintain the speed at a locked 33 rpm. I have kept the speed change switch in-circuit to. So far its all working pretty well. The DD motor and platter and beasts.

I intend as next steps to build a wooden frame around the outside edges of the sprung base, and then drop in a perspex plate as the top plate. Then I will look at how to mount a new arm. I want to get a standard Rega or Project arm that has its own lift lever (the one that is part of the TT has a motorised lift/drop that isnt completely working).

Some questions:

Is there a guide somewhere on turntable arm-mounting basics - ie: the height the base of the arm needs to be above the top of the record player, the height the arm needs to sit above the record when parallel with it, the distance the arm is mounted from the platter?

Appreciate any input.

cheers
IMG_5193.jpg
(207.76 KiB) Downloaded 78 times

nat
long player
long player

Re: DIY turntable basics.

Post by nat » 13 Jan 2019 14:37

The arm height should allow the arm to be parallel to the record when the cartridge is mounted and stylus resting on the record. This will be different depending on the height of the cartridge, which is why many arms allow adjustment of height. Unfortunately the standard Regas require you to use washers to lift the arm, a tedious procedure.
The distance the arm is from the spindle is one of the specifications of the arm.
You will probably have to drill out the bottom of the bottom plate under the arm.

slimecity

Re: DIY turntable basics.

Post by slimecity » 13 Jan 2019 19:19

Thanks for that Nat.

I figured I may have to do some drilling of the bottom plate to get a new arm in - maybe.....

But I note that (for example) the Project arms seem to simply sit on top of the turntable deck - putting them more or less in line with the platter.

Could a Project arm also be a possibility?

Thanks.