Stylus is growing whiskers?

the thin end of the wedge
poutrew

Stylus is growing whiskers?

Post by poutrew » 12 Jan 2019 22:14

I really don't know if this is a problem or not... After taking a picture of my Nag MP-110 stylus, I noticed that it has a pretty sizeable cat's whisker growing from the top part of the diamond. I don't think this is affecting the sound, so I don't know if I have a problem or not. I have uploaded a couple images so you can check it out (too bad they don't make scissors small enough for me to trim off the thing...). So what do you think?
whisker_side.jpg
(80.56 KiB) Downloaded 166 times
Whisker_front.jpg
(99.02 KiB) Downloaded 154 times

vanakaru

Re: Stylus is growing whiskers?

Post by vanakaru » 12 Jan 2019 22:40

Get yourself a stylus cleaner. The hair you see is the same dust you are inhaling.

poutrew

Post by poutrew » 12 Jan 2019 22:49

vanakaru wrote:
12 Jan 2019 22:40
Get yourself a stylus cleaner. The hair you see is the same dust you are inhaling.
Nope, it's not dust. I have already tried cleaning it with various things to no effect. Unfortunately it seems to be bonded to the diamond itself... :(

vanakaru

Post by vanakaru » 12 Jan 2019 23:03

The tip is bonded onto another diamond/steel base. Maybe the dust particles have been stuck to the glue or it is the hair of the glue itself.

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America
Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

Post by JDJX » 12 Jan 2019 23:40

What exactly are you cleaning it with?

Have you tried Audio Technica "AT 607" stylus cleaner?

The diamond stylus itself should not be brown... it should be much cleaner and it could use a good cleaning.
Also, I seriously doubt that the "hair' is bonded to the stylus..... and a good cleaning should remove it.

BTW, keep in mind, (everything else being equal) a dirty stylus will wear LPs faster that a clean one. :)

2002afan
United States of America

Post by 2002afan » 13 Jan 2019 05:57

DAP Blue tack. A fellow V/E member convinced me. Works great. :D

EdAInWestOC
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by EdAInWestOC » 13 Jan 2019 06:22

The Onzow Zerodust is also very effective and will not leave anything on your stylus.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... L1500_.jpg
https://www.amazon.com/Onzow-ZERODUST-Z ... B00ERPWAK2

There are cheaper things to use but I always wonder what might be deposited on my stylus. If the cleaner you are using leaves anything on the stylus you have a worse problem. You stylus will then accumulate more dirt due to the contamination on the stylus.

Maybe cheaper stuff will leave stuff on the stylus and maybe it won't. The one thing for sure is that other things have not been tested for use as a stylus cleaner and are not recommended by its manufacturer for that use.

hoolio
Australia

Post by hoolio » 13 Jan 2019 06:24

I've experienced this too, they go away eventually. A Denon DL103R was notorious for it. I wondered at the time if this was due to the conical stylus. The dust had no effect on the sound that I could hear.

Brush your stylus after each side. :D

poutrew

Post by poutrew » 13 Jan 2019 10:45

I tried most all of those things - the zerodust, brushing it with a stylus brush, both wet and dry, but none of them worked. I finally found a way to remove it. I crushed the end of a toothpick such that the end resembled a brush made of wood fibers. Then using the microscope, I very carefully 'twirled' it against the edge of the needle. The thing, whatever it was got snagged by the toothpick, and got ripped off without damaging anything. It really was stuck good to the bonding agent, but now I have a diamond clean enough to eat off of :) Thanks for you suggestions.