Dual 1019 - manual mode

snap, crackle and pop
buddas

Dual 1019 - manual mode

Post by buddas » 11 Jan 2019 04:31

Hi, all.

Just did a disassembly and lubing of the multi-function switch on my table. After some misassemblies I think have it back together again properly in that it functions perfectly and slides smoothly (better than before!).

However...

If I want to engage the “manual” function, I have to lift the arm off its rest. I remember that, and it still works that way. But now I can’t move it interior to “disc size” unless I disengage the lift mechanism. This is to say that the slider that catches the tone arm pin underneath dictates how far in I can move the tone arm, so if the size selector is set to 12” that’s as far as I can move the tone arm with the lifter up. When I set the lifter down the mechanism depresses that slider and I can then move the tonearm freely.

I’m pretty sure I used to be able to move the tonearm all over, even with the lifter up, before my endeavour.

The service manual isn’t clear enough to me as far as the correct order of assembly of the bearings in the multi-function assembly, what with the lengths of the posts being different, but I’m fairly certain that I at least have the size and multi-function switches, size slider, and engagement mechanism on in the right order.

Can anyone verify for me the correct assembly, or whether it is actually functioning the way it’s SUPPOSED to, not letting me move the tonearm across the record in manual mode without dropping the lifter?

Thanks!

Spinner45
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: Dual 1019 - manual mode

Post by Spinner45 » 11 Jan 2019 05:24

I believe that is normal behavior.
The 1019 I serviced for a friend last year did the exact same thing before and after servicing.

buddas

Post by buddas » 11 Jan 2019 05:32

Thanks for the reply!

The only reason I question it is because I’m pretty sure I was previously able to move the arm to a desired spot over the record (lifter up), turn the switch to “manual”, give the record a good brush, then kick the lifter and start listening. Having said that, I’m not sure what other mech I can mess with that would allow that, as the manual engagement system doesn’t seem to engage anything that would depress the “disc size” slider to clear the tonearm pin to allow that travel while also leaving the lifter in the “tonearm up” position.

I’d reassemble some more and try random combinations, but having already stripped the screw holding the switch levers together once (an M3 with fine threading, if anyone’s looking for a replacement) I’d rather not play with it more than I have to.

Hugues TR4
long player
long player
Belgium

Post by Hugues TR4 » 11 Jan 2019 14:11

Hi buddas,

I tend to remember that you are right about the arm being free when taken off its rest, even with the arm lift in the "up" position.
The arm positioning slide lever (#209) might be set in a wrong position.
Unfortunately, my 1019 is not easily reachable at the moment.
You should try and transfer this post into the dedicated Dual forum, where a lot of knowledgeable people stand ready to solve your problems!
Good luck!

Hugh.

Solist
Slovenia

Post by Solist » 11 Jan 2019 14:17

I tried now with mine. It should work.

I set the disc record to 12 inch, lifted the tonearm by hand, engaged the manual mode and then lifted the cue mechanism to get it over the desired spot.

Even if I lift the tonearm with the mechanism from the start and then set it to manual mode I am able to put the arm anywhere on the record.

Check the service manual to see if you put back everything in the right order.

buddas

Post by buddas » 11 Jan 2019 15:26

Thanks for the replies, folks.

Hugues, didn’t realize there’s a dedicated Dual forum, and am unsure as to how to move it. Good suggestion.

Solist, I imagine you’re right about the “wrong position”, and thanks for confirming what I thought I remembered about the free travel. As I posted, though, the service manual is not clear enough to me as far as the assembly order nor the direction of the bearings/bushings, so I was hoping for clarification on that from someone more knowledgeable than me.

Solist
Slovenia

Post by Solist » 11 Jan 2019 15:30

Maybe if you could post a picture of the mechanism, someone will manage to figure what's wrong.

buddas

Post by buddas » 11 Jan 2019 21:23

Imagine, if you will, that somehow I am too lazy to take a pic, but too stubborn to let it go without fiddling some more.

It seems that in my misadventures in assembly I had bent the “arrow” end of the size selector slider. I knew that and thought I’d straightened it enough using the eyeball method, but I guess it needs German precision straightening. Put it on a flat surface to check, straightened it out some more... voila... clears the tonearm pin in manual but still also engages properly in auto for the corresponding sizes.

Hopefully this will be useful to someone down the line. Most of all, TAKE PICS, no matter how smart you think you are... it won’t hurt, and hey, a stitch in time and all that.

Thanks for the helpful replies, folks.

Happy listening!