help a newbie out project debut carbon

carboniferous
jhockridge
England

help a newbie out project debut carbon

Post by jhockridge » 29 Nov 2018 23:12

Hello,

I have just had a recent upgrade to my system and am trying to get my project debut carbon that my wife surprised me with a few christmases back sounding as good as it possibly can.

Firstly I have a major issue. Changing the cartridge to a bronze ortofon from a red one of the tiny cables going into the cartridge (white) broke loose of its solder. The wire looks so thin that I might struggle to strip it; providing I can expose some bear wire, is there anything wrong with reflowing the exsisting blob of solder to reform the join ?

Secondly I have a nice acrylic platter as well as the bronze cartridge, I have added an extra ground between the powersupply in and the grounding point on the main amplifier and I have removed the transport screws and rubbers; is there any other reccomended upgrades to improve the quality? Would it be worth investing in a seperate phono stage? I currently use the one built into the arcam alpha 10 amplifier I am running.

Lastly - how hard is it to align the Ortofon cartridges - there is not a straight line on the little buggers !

Thanks for such a great forum - I am sure I will make a lot of use of the resources (already downloaded the cartridge setup guide.

James

bbr620
Scotland

Re: help a newbie out project debut carbon

Post by bbr620 » 30 Nov 2018 20:53

Hi, you can reflow the solder on the broken tag, just make sure it isn't attached to the cartridge as you don't want the heat transferring through and damaging it.

Update and put better RCA cables between TT and Phono Amp as the supplied Pro-Ject cables are garbage.

Seperate phono pre will almost always be better than a phono stage built into an integrated amp but the Arcam Alpha 10 already has a really nice Phono Stage with an SNR of -79dB so the turntable is the weak point in your current setup as the Debut Carbons have an SNR of -70dB.

Ortofon 2M's can be a pain to align. Best way is use a mirrored alignment tool. Have a look here:

Code: Select all

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Analogue-Studio-Cartridge-Alignment-Protractor-Red/dp/B007SOO0AC

willwill

Post by willwill » 09 Jan 2019 19:19

bbr620 wrote:
30 Nov 2018 20:53
Update and put better RCA cables between TT and Phono Amp as the supplied Pro-Ject cables are garbage.
Do you mean older or never cables? Mine was supplied with Connect-It E -cables and they look quite decent. Nice specs too:

https://www.analogueseduction.net/categ ... nects.html

bbr620
Scotland

Post by bbr620 » 09 Jan 2019 20:28

Yes, I had to replace RCA cables as the supplied Pro-Ject cable was causing a nasty hum on the left channel. Fitted Cambridge cable and a replacement earth lead and hum was gone. It may not have been the RCA's of course and I didn't keep it long. Played One Side of a record then flipped it as soon as possible ;)

willwill

Post by willwill » 10 Jan 2019 08:48

They could also been faulty ones. My Debut Carbon DC is death silent with stock cables. Also people use those Connect-It E cables as upgrades with other brands. They have usually 4 to 5 stars in web stores.

There was also case when cable had noise when connected "correctly" but changing direction fixed it. Probably labeled wrong. It has something to do with shielding.

I haven't upgraded cable because stock one has sturdy metal connectors and they are braided. Built quality seems good to mee. For example Atlas Element TT costs over 100 euros and do not come in suitable lengths (1,25 m is perfect to me).

willwill

Post by willwill » 10 Jan 2019 08:49

willwill wrote:
10 Jan 2019 08:48
They could also been faulty ones. My Debut Carbon DC is death silent with stock cables. Also people use those Connect-It E cables as upgrades with other brands. They have usually 4 to 5 stars in web stores.

There was also case when cable had noise when connected "correctly" but changing direction fixed it. Probably labeled wrong. It has something to do with shielding.

I haven't upgraded cable because stock one has sturdy metal connectors and they are braided. Built quality seems good to mee. For example Atlas Element TT costs over 100 euros and do not come in suitable lengths (1,25 m is perfect to me).

But it would be interesting to hear if upgrade cables do any good (if stock cables have no problems).

smee4
long player
long player

Post by smee4 » 12 Jan 2019 00:16

jhockridge wrote:
29 Nov 2018 23:12

Firstly I have a major issue. Changing the cartridge to a bronze ortofon from a red one of the tiny cables going into the cartridge (white) broke loose of its solder. The wire looks so thin that I might struggle to strip it; providing I can expose some bear wire, is there anything wrong with reflowing the exsisting blob of solder to reform the join ?

The problem is that some of the small strands in the wire might be broken or weakened, near the blob of existing solder. However, often, applying heat and fresh flux cored solder to the end of the wire will cause the plastic to shrink back, and burn off, allowing the solder to flow onto fresh wire and forming a solid connection. Once achieved, reheat the new blob and re-attach the connector. Make sure the solder doesn't flow into the connector and fill up the space where the cartridge pin needs to go.

As noted elsewhere already, do not do this with the cartridge connected.