I quit, no more new vinyl.

name that tune
swbo101
United States of America

Re: I quit, no more new vinyl.

Post by swbo101 » 31 Dec 2018 14:33

It depends. I've bought some new vinyl that had defects (which I have returned) and others that have been dead quiet and great pressings. I will say that over the past 2 - 3 years new pressings have been getting better. A few years back, I'd say one in 5 had problems. Haven't had any in the past 2 years. I will buy used when possible, but some are impossible to find or will cost more than 2 or 3 times a new pressing.

I'll wait and try to find one used at a good price, but sometimes I don't want to wait years.

dysmike
Germany

Post by dysmike » 31 Dec 2018 16:43

swbo101 wrote:
31 Dec 2018 14:33

I'll wait and try to find one used at a good price, but sometimes I don't want to wait years.
Some of the items I want to rebuild what I have either lost, played out, or been otherwise damaged, are in the hundreds of dollars for an original... That's where a repress is pretty much the only real choice.

VinyldechezPierre
France

Post by VinyldechezPierre » 31 Dec 2018 17:24

Sterling1 wrote:
30 Dec 2018 16:56
VinyldechezPierre wrote:
30 Dec 2018 16:47
Pops and some other noises are part of the vinyl experience.

If you can't deal with them, right, stop buying vinyl!

And don't ever get into 78's.
Oh no, I can deal with pops, I digitize, job done, no distractions; plus, when digitized and placed in my iTunes Library I can equalize to taste too. The thing is why buy new if defects are a certainty? Might as well get the SACD/CD and save money to boot. BTW, I've got plenty of LP's which are absent any sign of being defective, but none of those were purchased recently.
Sorry, if you digitize to get rid of the pops and others, that means you can't deal with them noises.

I imagine you use a de-clicker / de-noiser software to do that job. Am I right?

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America
Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

Post by JDJX » 31 Dec 2018 18:17

I found out the hard way when first getting back into vinyl that original pressings of classic albums are best .

Two examples are........

1) Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
The recent pressing that I got was just not as dynamic as it should be.
I then got an original (NM) pressing and it sounds fantastic, very dynamic and noise free.

2) Jethro Tull - Aqualung.
The recent pressing was also not as dynamic it should be and, the lasts few lines of "Wind Up" were missing.
I then got an original (NM) copy and it again it sounds fantastic ...and nothing is missing. :)

About the only recent re-issue that I got and like are the fairly recent all analog remasters of the "Beatles - White album" and "Please , Please Me" albums.
They sound great and trying to find an original pressing of either album in NM condition (for a sane price) is about impossible.

Spinner45
long player
long player

Post by Spinner45 » 31 Dec 2018 18:57

I've got the original of "Rumors" too, and it still plays perfectly.

lbls1
United States of America

Post by lbls1 » 31 Dec 2018 20:02

Noise is one of the evils of vinyl. You love it or hate it. I've had some vinyls outperform a cd even with the pop noise. Its a given with vinyl. Once you get over it you will enjoy vinyl more. What is more disturbing, however, is rubbing or distored music coming from overly worn vinyl as a result of playing from cheap quality turntables and/or styluses. I agree with you in this case that its frustrating to deal with a worn out record. New records with excellent mastering are a joy to experience, however.

Sterling1
United States of America

Post by Sterling1 » 31 Dec 2018 20:15

VinyldechezPierre wrote:
31 Dec 2018 17:24
Sterling1 wrote:
30 Dec 2018 16:56
VinyldechezPierre wrote:
30 Dec 2018 16:47
Pops and some other noises are part of the vinyl experience.

If you can't deal with them, right, stop buying vinyl!

And don't ever get into 78's.
Oh no, I can deal with pops, I digitize, job done, no distractions; plus, when digitized and placed in my iTunes Library I can equalize to taste too. The thing is why buy new if defects are a certainty? Might as well get the SACD/CD and save money to boot. BTW, I've got plenty of LP's which are absent any sign of being defective, but none of those were purchased recently.
Sorry, if you digitize to get rid of the pops and others, that means you can't deal with them noises.

I imagine you use a de-clicker / de-noiser software to do that job. Am I right?
Digitizing is dealing with it, the it being elimination of pops. Not dealing with it, would be to accept the LP condition and attempt to enjoy it, while being distracted by pops. There might be a need to do that on a used LP if the music is entertaining and there is no interest in digitizing; but, this story is about new LPs, and, for me, the best way to deal with pops on new LPs is just to get a refund. And, yes, I use a declicker, sometimes just in area of pops at the strength necessary to remove the pop. On LPs with pops galore, I'll declick the entire album. The digitized file goes into my iTunes Library where it can be enjoyed without distraction, or inconvenience; plus, I can apply equalization to the recording to taste. Oh, and if I want to enjoy the complete LP experience, which includes pops, I can always put the offending LP on my turntable. :lol:

zwhita

Post by zwhita » 31 Dec 2018 21:44

Sterling1 wrote:
30 Dec 2018 18:34
Let's boycott, maybe not. I will take my new recording to the store where I purchased it tomorrow for a refund however.
This is the one thing in this thread that caught my attention. By all means do! I've been saying for a while now that it's up to us the consumers to make sure every single one of these labels made fat and lethargic by the digital music sales industry, expecting a docile buying public, are made clear in no uncertain terms that as far as vinyl releases are concerned, you must go big or go home. Put only the best possible product out or get the f&ck out of the business. Do it right or face bankruptcy. We're getting closer to weeding out the pretenders, the posers, but we're not quite there yet. First thing I ask in any shop selling vinyl records now is what their return policy is. It is another unfortunate necessity in maintenance of the hobby.

To the OP: Also might help to do your research on any new releases you plan to purchase whenever possible. Find out who pressed it, who mastered it, anything you can find out. Get to the bottom of why a release is good or isn't. And don't be afraid to clean new records. A good cleaning can often both reduce surface noise and reveal subdued dynamics. But like everything else in this line of interest, you must do it right or don't expect any satisfying results.

circularvibes
long player
long player

Post by circularvibes » 31 Dec 2018 22:49

Also, ask your store if there is wiggle room on the policy for returns. If you are a regular customer, they may be more lenient. The shop I deal with normally doesn't take returns, but when I brought back an LP about a year ago, they took one look at it and ordered me a new copy. They could see the obvious manufacturing defect, a chemical burn that made the grooves noisy. Returns are expensive for small stores, so go easy on them. Chain stores seem to be treated better by the manufacturers/distributors. My other return was at a chain store, but the manager looked at the marks all over the disc and didn't even bother to argue. It took a month to get a replacement, but they did it with a smile and a thank you for my business. My two other suggestions are to get friendly with your dealer, like have conversations to find out their interests and let them know yours, and offer to buy them a coffee on a busy day. They seem to remember those little things. I offer my dealer a coffee on RSD mornings and if they want one or not, they treat me nicely after. Good will goes both ways and coffee is cheap. I won't return a record for a couple crackles, but if I can see the offending mark that makes the noise, I return it. I also am not a fan of reissue labels, except for maybe Sundazed. Check the forums as many of us have left reviews of reissue labels.

audiopile
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by audiopile » 01 Jan 2019 00:26

This doesn't mirror my experience with new vinyl -sure -I've had some notable clinkers (returned three Kind of Blue's in a row for really far off center center holes) - but in general even the not sourced from master tape/ semi-dubious European pressings are really clean and quiet. They may not be the best recordings I've got of this same performance -but notably fewer clicks n pops. I sold records starting in the late 60's and running thru the 80's - returned thousands of LP's deemed defective because of excessive clicks n pops . The pressing plants cranked 'em out - I suspect plates are replaced at a much lower count today than they were back then. And at least here in the salt n snow tires belt -noise is very often static discharges -try a anti-static brush added to your rig. And 60 years of listening to records means I've developed the analog perception filter that most of us ol f@rts bring to the listening experience.

Sterling1
United States of America

Post by Sterling1 » 01 Jan 2019 02:22

Momma said," buying records is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get".

geoffcb

Post by geoffcb » 01 Jan 2019 02:43

I always treat new vinyl like old: I clean it and replace plain paper sleeves.

Roberto C2H3
long player
long player
Argentina

Post by Roberto C2H3 » 01 Jan 2019 04:08

geoffcb wrote:
01 Jan 2019 02:43
I always treat new vinyl like old: I clean it and replace plain paper sleeves.
+ 1 on the above 8)

audiopile
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by audiopile » 01 Jan 2019 06:40

I do have to admit I see LP displays in retail spaces that lead me to believe nobody gave a minutes thought to that slick POP converting what's in/on 'em to POS. But I took back warped records that those sweethearts the record companies wouldn't let me return for credit. Enjoy the music on some of those records a lot -have always made the ability to play warped records just part of what a arm/cart needs to be able to do IMO.

Gelid
broken record

Post by Gelid » 01 Jan 2019 06:55

I've bought a couple LP's from Urban Outfitters and Best Buy and they were of a lesser quality that I would expect... I think stores such as these get the cast-offs that the quality dept at the pressing plant bounced.

Find an online source or reputible record store local to your area.