Why Is Modern Pop Music So Terrible?

name that tune
JackPArmstrong

Re: Why Is Modern Pop Music So Terrible?

Post by JackPArmstrong » 18 Jun 2018 17:04

I believe that is you're opinion; just because something isn't your taste, does not mean it is terrible. Individuals that like modern pop music may think that the music you like is 'garbage' or 'awful'. I'm not particularly a fan of modern pop music as it's just not what I like to listen to, however I wouldn't say it was terrible.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 21 Sep 2018 06:14

OK, so we can now blame this for all of our troubles...

https://pitchfork.com/features/article/ ... lar-music/

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 21 Sep 2018 06:20

That and this one, at least in my mind, were probably the two that permanently changed modern music forever...

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 21 Sep 2018 06:38

It's odd...I have BOTH of those original singles on 45 rpm vinyl and I'm sure I paid way less for them than what they appear to be going for now and my copies have rarely been played...I'm wondering what the deal is with that? :?

In any case, I'm glad I bought all my favorite 90's singles when I did (around late '99-early 2000's)...About 2,000 or so of the 8,000+ 7-inch 45's in the collection are from 1990 onward, so they were still being produced, although in smaller numbers...

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 28 Dec 2018 00:31

Another thing I've noticed...Music seems much sadder now than it ever was...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/mu ... ailsignout

...unless you count this...

Think about it...Love was once "a many-splendored thing"..."Amore" was when the "moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie"...April Love was for the very young...Only YOU can make the stars shine bright...Time can't erase the memory of
these magic moments filled with love...

Those were ACTUAL lyrics of songs back in the 50's and 60's...Nowadays, you'd be lucky to find those sentiments anywhere and yet, that doesn't mean the classics have gone out of style...Every year, someone discovers "It's A Wonderful Life", "The Sound Of Music" and/or "The Wizard Of Oz", so people are still discovering those films and the music from them...It makes me wonder if the classic art of songwriting will ever come back in fashion...Of course, there are exceptions and attempts at longevity...If anyone can think of any more tunes that have come out recently that will have that kind of longevity, feel free to add them here...

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... 1&t=108520

reynolds617
United States of America

Post by reynolds617 » 28 Dec 2018 03:43

There was some pretty sad stuff made in the 70s and 80s as well if you think about it. The Cold War, the economy (70s), social upheaval, etc. I’m not sure I’d agree that this decade has much bleaker music than any other since the 60s.

VinyldechezPierre
France

Post by VinyldechezPierre » 28 Dec 2018 16:01

JDJX wrote:
19 Apr 2018 01:08
If you consider that all music is just an expression of a fame of mind and/or attitude...... can we really fault any music from any period?

All we can do is wonder and/or find fault about the frame of mind/attitude of those who compose some music and those who can like and relate to it.
Yes, because it is an expression of the record companies frame of mind and attitude. Something works, let's make a copy of it under a different name. You can see the exact same thing in the movie business. Earlier today I was watching an interview of Woody Allen on the Dick Cavett Show and he was talking about not watching any movies so as not to be influenced.

I'll bet today's sale-oriented artists are all watching each other to see what they can steal without getting into a copyright infrigement suite... mostly because today's production companies want nothing but sure bets.

Ok, there are none, really, but repeating a winning number seems to work pretty good, often enough. Just look at Fifty Shades of Grey. One bad movie followed by another followed by another. And the first two made a bunch of money. Don't know about the third.

Record companies are only interested in money. They couldn't care less about art.

That good artists that don't sell tons can still make records amazes me everyday. And we should thank those artists by buying their records, not stealing them.

13hm13
United States of America

Post by 13hm13 » 28 Dec 2018 21:04

rewfew wrote:
30 Sep 2017 18:09

About that video thumbnail ... Miley Cyrus on the right and Katy Perry on left? Correct?

rewfew
long player
long player

Post by rewfew » 28 Dec 2018 22:20

13hm13 wrote:
28 Dec 2018 21:04
About that video thumbnail ... Miley Cyrus on the right and Katy Perry on left? Correct?
Could be. Two insipid artists of this day and age. The video cover has changed since it was 1st posted. Content seems the same. Which I felt seemed to give a semblance of what represents the trend of A LOT, (but not every last smidgen) of pop music today. And some explanation of what's led up to it, how it is contrived, and how it differs from past pop music. I avoid it as much as possible, but there are time's when one becomes a captive audience. Similar in disdain as when your at a stop light and some caring individual is blaring hip hop with every resonating panel of their ride adding to the rich music experience.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 05 Sep 2019 14:55

And yet, there are those who are nostalgic for the music of the 2000's...

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/m ... ket-newtab

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 05 Sep 2019 16:52

vinyl master wrote:
25 Apr 2018 17:31
......snippage......
Beats Delilah, though! :lol:
Speaking of Delilah:

https://people.com/music/delilah-faith- ... -two-sons/

Back to your regular OPing

Fred