Garrard turntable

the jewel in the crown
Hilland dale

Garrard turntable

Post by Hilland dale » 21 Feb 2017 21:02

Hi, I just bought a Garrard model RC60/D16 turntable from a guy on Facebook and don't know what year it was made.

A70BBen

Re: Garrard turntable

Post by A70BBen » 22 Feb 2017 00:38

RC60 was the first post-WWII Garrard, after record changer production had been halted during the War (the 201 Transcription Motor had continued in production for the armed forces). So, 1946-47 would be a good estimate. Successor RC70 was introduced in 1948.

Hilland dale

Post by Hilland dale » 22 Feb 2017 00:59

Thank you very much. The mechanism doesn't look too complicated, but I'm gonna take lots of pictures if I have to disassemble it. Looks like it'll be a pretty cool machine once it is running properly.

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 22 Feb 2017 05:43

Make sure you show some pics of it here, too, my friend! I'm sure we'd love to see it! =P~

Hilland dale

Post by Hilland dale » 22 Feb 2017 06:14

I will. I'm going to take my time working on this, as I want it to turn out right. ☺

Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by Coffee Phil » 22 Feb 2017 09:24

Hi Hilland dale,

Welcome to the forum. I'm no Garrard expert so I can't offer as much help as others, but I can wish you good luck with it.

I'm guessing that you are into Edison Diamond discs or cylinders or maybe Pathe records. Is this so? Good to have another "fast spinner" here.

Phil

Hilland dale wrote:Hi, I just bought a Garrard model RC60/D16 turntable from a guy on Facebook and don't know what year it was made.

Hilland dale

Post by Hilland dale » 22 Feb 2017 13:35

]Hey Phil,yes, I like Edison discs and cylinders. I think I have more Edison phonographs than other makes in my collection.

Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by Coffee Phil » 22 Feb 2017 19:06

Hi Hilland dale,

So far I don't have any acoustic record players in my collection. About 70 years ago I had a console Victrola but it left. Long story and I'm not fully over it yet. Maybe before I'm under the grass I'll get a replacement.

I can however play most of the fast spinning discs electrically including those which are hill and dale.

I bought an basket case Edison Standard. I'll post a picture, but please know that It came with no spring motor and the carriage assembly was just a stump. I did not mutilate a working machine.

[img]33783[/img]

This machine is intended to play cylinders electrically. The plan is to get it to accept an SME style head shell so my cartridges will interchange with my Kenwood KD 500 with an SME arm.

It is belt driven with a brushless DC floppy disc drive motor. I bought the two speed gear set. The carriage passes Tom's timing marks in the requisite time in both modes when the strobe disc on the end of the mandrel indicate 160 RPM.

Here is my Beogram 3000 playing a 14" Pathe "hill and dale" record:

[img]32911[/img]

This machine is highly hacked. The OEM two pole induction motor is replaced with a FDD motor like in the Franken-Edison. It can play records from 16 2/3 RPM to 80 RPM.

As well as pictures of your Garrard, please show us your acoustic machines.

Phil
Hilland dale wrote:]Hey Phil,yes, I like Edison discs and cylinders. I think I have more Edison phonographs than other makes in my collection.

Hilland dale

Post by Hilland dale » 22 Feb 2017 19:17

I'm new to this forum Phil, and forgive me for asking for sounding dumb but I don't know how to upload pictures to my posts. I can't find any icon the shows that I can upload a picture. Can you please tell me how to do it

Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by Coffee Phil » 23 Feb 2017 03:54

Hi Hilland dale,

I'm not the best at this, but the least painful is to first "host" the picture on this site. jpeg is good but I don't think PDF works. There is a limit to file size but I think it is about 1 Mbyte. Go to the gallery and find the appropriate category and click on it. There should be a button like new image. Click on that. you will be taken back to your computer where you search for the image. Select the desired image and click the open button. Follow the prompts. You can add some text. After you are done open the image and highlight the number under the picture and copy it. Go back to your post and click the Img button on top of the box where you are typing. Some characters will appear with a cursor in the middle. Paste the contents of the copy board there and hit preview to see if you got what you want.

Phil
Hilland dale wrote:I'm new to this forum Phil, and forgive me for asking for sounding dumb but I don't know how to upload pictures to my posts. I can't find any icon the shows that I can upload a picture. Can you please tell me how to do it

garrard201v
United States of America

Post by garrard201v » 27 Dec 2018 06:39

my inlaws have the garrard 201v - it 'sorta' works. interested in anyone with experience with this fantastic piece of mechanics?

garrard201v
United States of America

Post by garrard201v » 27 Dec 2018 06:53

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... 418/medium

This is the label on the underside.
I'm trying to figure out how to do some maintenance on the clockwork mechanical governor that is the speed control, seems stuck and makes a racket when starting up and at certain speeds. Anyone have any experience with this?