spherical Stylus Cuing Back DJ Quest ?

the thin end of the wedge
tlscapital
long player
long player
Belgium

spherical Stylus Cuing Back DJ Quest ?

Post by tlscapital » 18 Dec 2018 10:32

DJ'ing from time to time, I bring my own cartridges and stylus most of the time. Affordable they were, I have the Shure 'White Label' for donk years. For their worth they were compliant enough for my vintage MONO 45's to play on average to decent DJ phono gear.

Now those Shure 'White Label' stylus are discontinued for sometime now and the NOS about sell for stupid money. The generic ones available on the net are just... plain Bad ! So before I decide to sell them to fund something else to DJ with, I am trying to find "alternative" replacement stylus.

Seeking for such alternatives, I have bought the Jico generic for the N-44-7 DJ that fit in and are good but in comparison with my last original, sound thin ! Stunned from such result, I believe that those will eventually benefit when given those dreaded harsh powered speakers.

I was told that the Shure SC-35 (Jico replacement as well) would do the fit as well. Before I test try that option, I am wondering if those spherical stylus can be back cued (not scratch or mix, just set the record start) without damaging the groove. My belief is yes, but I just want to make sure.

KentT
long player
long player

Re: spherical Stylus Cuing Back DJ Quest ?

Post by KentT » 18 Dec 2018 13:48

Get a normal Shure M 44-7 and mount that in a headshell (Jico in Japan makes excellent styli for it). Or consider one of the new Audio-Technica conical models (the new AT-VM 95C is a good candidate) or the AT 3600L that many here like. The Shure SC35C needs 5 grams tracking force (most tonearms today aren't happy at that force)

tlscapital
long player
long player
Belgium

Post by tlscapital » 18 Dec 2018 15:18

KentT wrote:
18 Dec 2018 13:48
Get a normal Shure M 44-7 and mount that in a headshell (Jico in Japan makes excellent styli for it). Or consider one of the new Audio-Technica conical models (the new AT-VM 95C is a good candidate) or the AT 3600L that many here like. The Shure SC35C needs 5 grams tracking force (most tonearms today aren't happy at that force)

Yeh, getting my head around it and figure I'll have to cash in on some other model of cartridges. From what I've heard, those M 44-7 should be fair replacement of my 'White Labels' to DJ out with.

Would you happen to know (have heard) if the M 44-7 G wouldn't prove somehow too "detailed" and on te "highz" saturation actually to DJ out ? Where for home use they seem to be more "pleasant".

And for some un-rational reasons, I am not attracted to Audio Tecnica gear. The Sure SC35C are indeed requiring heavier effective mass tonearms that those DJ's decks à la SL-1200 have not !

Pauw
Netherlands

Post by Pauw » 18 Dec 2018 16:09

Looking at your location ...I will give you another possibility.....A Philips GP 400 Mk 1 or 2......this will be easily available to you...cheap and an excellent performer for 45s if paired with a suitable arm. The stylus is spherical so you can back cue and it is nice and cheap around 20 Euro.....and with my extensive 45 collection it sounds great. :D

tlscapital
long player
long player
Belgium

Post by tlscapital » 18 Dec 2018 16:44

Pauw wrote:
18 Dec 2018 16:09
Looking at your location ...I will give you another possibility.....A Philips GP 400 Mk 1 or 2......this will be easily available to you...cheap and an excellent performer for 45s if paired with a suitable arm. The stylus is spherical so you can back cue and it is nice and cheap around 20 Euro.....and with my extensive 45 collection it sounds great. :D
Thanks for that tip ! I do like their late 60's early 70's look as well. But likely the Shure M-44-7 is for just the little extra money a better contender to DJ out on not likely the best amplified systems and with most of the times dreadful acoustics if any... Just like the Shure 'White Label' do/did fairly nicely I have find. That Philips GP 400 cart seem indeed good for the bucks homie's contenders. Many good Joe Public reviews and experiences I have read.

mamakasou
Greece

Post by mamakasou » 18 Dec 2018 16:59

Shure M44-7, is a perfect match for the arm of the SL1200.
Used @ 3 grams VTF, it will sing.
It is a loud, dynamic and lively cartridge that tracks beautifully.

I have tried all original styli for it and believe that the N44-7 is the best sounding.
It sounds similar similar to the excellent AT3600/91.
Shares the same tonality, but with a bit more impact and a bit less refinement.
Great fun though!

The Shure SC35C is also excellent but needs a heavy headshell to perform.
More authority snd less bright overall.

For high dB audio performance, I would say that it is a better performer.
It reminds me the Stanton 500ALmkII sound.

Actually they sound almost identical, but the Stanton has the edge in soundstage presentation.

xispeta

Post by xispeta » 18 Dec 2018 19:07

Don't forget the new audio technica at-xp dj cartridge series, the at-xp3 even comes already mounted on a headshell.

tlscapital
long player
long player
Belgium

Post by tlscapital » 18 Dec 2018 23:11

mamakasou wrote:
18 Dec 2018 16:59
Shure M44-7, is a perfect match for the arm of the SL1200.
Used @ 3 grams VTF, it will sing.
It is a loud, dynamic and lively cartridge that tracks beautifully.

I have tried all original styli for it and believe that the N44-7 is the best sounding.
It sounds similar similar to the excellent AT3600/91.
Shares the same tonality, but with a bit more impact and a [b]bit less refinement[/b].
Great fun though!

The Shure SC35C is also excellent but needs a heavy headshell to perform.
More authority and less bright overall.

For high dB audio performance, I would say that it is a better performer.
It reminds me the Stanton 500ALmkII sound.

Actually they sound almost identical, but the Stanton has the edge in soundstage presentation.
Well I know of the Shure SC 35 C, but as you exposed those SL-1200 are more and more of the light effective mass and even with the extra small counterweight, they don't cope well with lower compliant cartridges and the resonance match is not good I have find.

Since it's only to DJ out and plug on SL-1200 & Co. turntables, on poor amplification and accoustic, the fact that's it's spherical (better for vintage 45's groove retrieval), LOUD, DYNAMIC and LIVELY, the N 44-7 should fill the bill better than the others I believe.

Budget in the long run is of the matter as well. Replacement Jico stylus are "affordable" and fairly well recommended for those. Finally since I will cross bind the channels on the pins of the cartridge to convert them in MONO, there's plenty of room to do so with those.

mamakasou
Greece

Post by mamakasou » 19 Dec 2018 03:14

tlscapital wrote:
18 Dec 2018 23:11

Since it's only to DJ out and plug on SL-1200 & Co. turntables, on poor amplification and accoustic, the fact that's it's spherical (better for vintage 45's groove retrieval), LOUD, DYNAMIC and LIVELY, the N 44-7 should fill the bill better than the others I believe.

Budget in the long run is of the matter as well. Replacement Jico stylus are "affordable" and fairly well recommended for those. Finally since I will cross bind the channels on the pins of the cartridge to convert them in MONO, there's plenty of room to do so with those.
I have also heard good things about that Jico replacement.

That Shure M44-7 is a pretty good pickup, that could be used outside a DJ setup as well.
I think you will enjoy it. :D

KentT
long player
long player

Post by KentT » 21 Dec 2018 01:08

xispeta wrote:
18 Dec 2018 19:07
Don't forget the new audio technica at-xp dj cartridge series, the at-xp3 even comes already mounted on a headshell.
Which are elliptical stylus equipped, and not for back cueing, as elliptical styli cause cue burn. And expensive. A new Audio-Technica AT-VM 95C has a .6 mil conical stylus, tracks at 2 grams, and can back cue if you're careful. And for less than half the price. Under $40 buys you one.