long player
Canada

Re: How to open Dual turntables for servicing

Post by dualcan » 07 Mar 2016 21:20

Hi,
These are simple to open and are used on many Dual produced plinths:
20160307_124419.jpg
(85.05 KiB) Downloaded 1481 times
Push the two tabs (in red) toward each other (yellow) and then pull away from plinth (green).
The "shoe" will now be free of the bottom plate and you will see two black shims clamping each cable to the shoe:
These shoes will be released when you pull them from right to the left as shown in picture.
Regards,
k

kwatch

Post by kwatch » 08 Mar 2016 06:17

I was finally opened my 721. I have one more issue. The stylus set down maybe a few grooves too far inside. I tried to adjust but the adjustment screw(17) did not move at all. I thought I could do something to unfreeze the screw if I open the turntable but I couldn't do anything. How can I unfreeze the screw?
Attachments
20160307_221214.jpg
(637.29 KiB) Downloaded 1468 times

jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by jdjohn » 08 Mar 2016 19:36

dualcan wrote:Hi,
20160307_124419.jpg
Push the two tabs (in red) toward each other (yellow) and then pull away from plinth (green).
The "shoe" will now be free of the bottom plate and you will see two black shims clamping each cable to the shoe:
These shoes will be released when you pull them from right to the left as shown in picture.
Regards,
k
Great and helpful pics. I actually pulled the cables left-to-right (or simply pulled towards the right) to free the shims from the shoe. Or, without even releasing the shoe first, I was able to 'push' the cables towards the inside of the plinth, which freed the shims. YMMV When reinstalling the shims, you must pay attention to the angle of their slant, such that the cable effectively gets wedged into the shoe from the inner side. It took me a while to figure out how it works!

etvanp

Post by etvanp » 24 May 2016 16:43

Not my intention to hijack this thread, but does anyone know how the heck do I take the Fly Wheel which sits under the plate on a 505-2?

Thanks!

graveller39

Post by graveller39 » 13 Sep 2016 13:05

This post makes it sound like the method is the same for all (or at least most) duals - this is hardly the case - and the video link from page 1 further confuses things.

The video clearly shows the transit screws being put in the "locked" or "transport" position before the turntable is easily removed from its base. For the 506 (and I suspect many other models) this is completely wrong - the screws must remain in the "playback" position and it also helps to push down on the table while attempting to free these screws from the turntable base. It can be a very awkward and difficut task.

It would've been helpful if JaS had clarified things a bit with the diagram (again on page 1): positions b) and c) are not particularly relevant; position a) is the one you want and the transit screws would normally be in that postion anyway.

For any solid base model such as the CS 515 or 503, this post will be of no help as there are no transit screws on these models.

dashew-bob

Post by dashew-bob » 07 Jul 2017 14:28

Alot of this is very helpful, but according to the manual for my Daul cs-505-1, to remove platter push and turn to the right.... does nothing at all. I want to change belts and lube etc, should I just remove the whole thing ??

mattipatti

Post by mattipatti » 10 Jul 2017 21:31

My english is not so good, but youtube have also some videos, not 505-1 but similar Duals, and on vinylengine you can download the service manual if needed. Changing the belt you don't need open the turntable (service manual), remove the platter, but if you want to check all, you have to open it.
greatings from Germany
Matthias (my Duals are 2x 1019, HS-151, 601, 701, 1249)

jeff449
United States of America

Post by jeff449 » 10 Jul 2017 22:09

Bob,
This is how I remove the platter on my CS 505-3 (yours may be the same construction):
Remove the rubber mat from the platter, then push down and twist the retaining ring around the spindle counterclockwise about a quarter turn. You may have to use your fingernails or a tool in the slots. Remove the ring, then the platter.
Good luck!

lreneat

Post by lreneat » 20 Dec 2017 00:22

jdjohn wrote:
dualcan wrote:Hi,
20160307_124419.jpg
Regards,
k
Great and helpful pics. I actually pulled the cables left-to-right (or simply pulled towards the right) to free the shims from the shoe. Or, without even releasing the shoe first, I was able to 'push' the cables towards the inside of the plinth, which freed the shims. YMMV When reinstalling the shims, you must pay attention to the angle of their slant, such that the cable effectively gets wedged into the shoe from the inner side. It took me a while to figure out how it works!

I remember a couple of those plastic electric cord hold-downs from the past. Once pulled-out, I never put them back in again. It's hard enough having to deal with the ground wire, RCA's and electric cord being removed from hole in turntable base while dealing with the main turntable body. Another one of Dual's "better ideas"? A soft split rubber grommet would have been a better idea.

j+c2

Post by j+c2 » 08 Jun 2018 11:45

New member here. Thanks for the information and pic of hot to release the access cover where the wires exit on my 604. My problem is a hum from the left side. I can move/bend the wire and change the hum level. I can play with the wires and the RCA plug and sometimes the hum will go away but it seems to return. I'm curious about replacing both output wires or at least checking them out on the inside of the unit. Once inside, what will I find? Are they hardwired or do they plug in? If possible, I would like to replace with a heavier wire and better plugs. Has anyone else had this issue with the 604?

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 08 Jun 2018 12:06

j+c2 wrote:New member here. Thanks for the information and pic of hot to release the access cover where the wires exit on my 604. My problem is a hum from the left side. I can move/bend the wire and change the hum level. I can play with the wires and the RCA plug and sometimes the hum will go away but it seems to return. I'm curious about replacing both output wires or at least checking them out on the inside of the unit. Once inside, what will I find? Are they hardwired or do they plug in? If possible, I would like to replace with a heavier wire and better plugs. Has anyone else had this issue with the 604?
Welcome to the Dual Forum!

I've owned a 604 since 1978 and it is an excellent turntable.

Two prime sources of hum are either a damaged RCA connector or tarnish on the headshell connections either on the cartridge pins or the contact strips/spring loaded pins of the headshell.

If you change anything on the RCA connectors, just change the RCA plug itself not the wire. Dual used good wire. The connector and wire at the RCA sometimes get damaged due to stretching or the back of an amp or receiver getting jammed against the back of a cabinet.

j+c2

Post by j+c2 » 08 Jun 2018 17:30

OK Thanks..I'll clean and inspect the RCA and head shell pins. Thanks!

Gelid
broken record

Post by Gelid » 08 Jun 2018 19:24

I have two Dual 621 TT's, and they both needed cables. The first one had a hum practically from the day I got it. I put two different sets of cables on it before I learnrd I needed "low-capacitance" cables. I created a thread for advice about the hum a few years ago:
https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... 37&t=83071

I found these cables for a very good price and put them on both my 621's.

Mogami w Neutrik Rean Gold Phono/RCA 4FT Cable for Technics SL1200 or Turntable
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mogami-w-Neutr ... SwBahVQayt

Solved the hum I was convinced was coming from the headshell. I also had a loud buzz the old cables were picking up from the strobe light, and that is now gone, too.

The cables weren't hard-wired, but the may as well have been. The first two sets of cables I tried, I re-used the old connectors by soldering the wires to them, then insulated them with shrink-tube.

It took me a long time before I found these at Parts Express. They fit a tad bit snug, but they go on and come off without too much grief.
Female Disconnect_Crimp.jpg
(65.88 KiB) Downloaded 680 times

paulrenea

Post by paulrenea » 09 Jun 2018 07:38

I find it amusing that some people praise the original black and white RCA Dual cables. I have 3 sets which failed early-on. I save them as a reminder to never trust them. It's more than enough having to deal with the occasional typical hum problems that come with owning/using Dual turntables. If suitable narrow plug replacement RCA cables are expensive or hard to find, yes, attempt to fix original RCA's.

Audioplus93

Post by Audioplus93 » 10 Dec 2018 00:08

Do you know if the CS-521 has internal RCA jacks? I was going to replace the cables, but if this model doesn't feature internal RCA's, I may as well re-solder new plugs on existing cables.
Thanks for your info!