Sub woofer and Bass crosover in HZ

amplifiers, receivers and loudspeakers
Sterling1
United States of America

Re: Sub woofer and Bass crosover in HZ

Post by Sterling1 » 07 Dec 2018 20:08

JDJX wrote:
07 Dec 2018 19:43
So sapping power from your amp to power a sub is better?
I'm not sapping power, the Sony TA-N80ES operating in bridged mode is only powering my sub. My Sony TA-N9000ES 5 channel amp powers mains, surrounds, and center channel.

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America
Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

Post by JDJX » 07 Dec 2018 20:21

So, essentially you have a powered sub. The only difference is, your sub's amp is not self contained in the sub .. in a contrived set up.

Sterling1
United States of America

Post by Sterling1 » 07 Dec 2018 20:27

hobie1dog wrote:
07 Dec 2018 19:52
Now I'm thinking about getting another Velodyne so I will have stereo subs.
Pal, you can have as many subs as you want but you won't get stereo effect because low frequencies are non-directional. All you will get is sound reinforcement. For example, you could have a pipe organ miked to present a right channel impression and your listening experience would have you believe the sound stage is on your right; but, knock out all but the lowest frequencies and you will no longer be able to associate the pipe organ to the right channel unless the low frequencies are perhaps exclusive to the right channel and you are very close to the speaker. If they were being sent to a sub exclusively the low frequencies would not seem to be coming from any particular place in your listening room if the sub has been integrated properly. Many surround sound systems have two subs but they are not described as left or right, just sub 1 and sub 2.
Last edited by Sterling1 on 07 Dec 2018 20:43, edited 1 time in total.

Sterling1
United States of America

Post by Sterling1 » 07 Dec 2018 20:39

JDJX wrote:
07 Dec 2018 20:21
So, essentially you have a powered sub. The only difference is, your sub's amp is not self contained in the sub .. in a contrived set up.
All subs are powered, passive or active. A passive sub does not have an internal crossover/bypass and its amp is external; thus, it performs as commanded by source component, DSP, external crossover, or analog multi-channel preamplifer, which means a simple adjustment of the amp's gain is all that is necessary for ideal sub output, whether listening to stereo music, 5.1multi-channel music, or surround sound movies.

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by JDJX » 07 Dec 2018 22:54

Well yeah..... all speakers need "power" for them to make noise...
What is your point.. other than " spin" .. :)

Sterling1
United States of America

Post by Sterling1 » 08 Dec 2018 10:07

JDJX wrote:
07 Dec 2018 22:54
Well yeah..... all speakers need "power" for them to make noise...
What is your point.. other than " spin" .. :)
My postings on this thread are, I hope, instructional. When you professed to active being better than passive you revealed that you do not have experience with passive, since users of passive understand it has properties which make it ideal for bass reproduction in systems where stereo music, 5.1 music, and movies are all incorporated. That's not spin friend, that's fact.

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by JDJX » 08 Dec 2018 14:01

This is a music/ vinyl forum..... is it not?
I fail to see when the op requested info about setting up a (unnatural sounding and contrived) home theater system

Sure, a passive sub will work but, the fact remains that powered sub directly connected to an amp's speaker cables is better for music .
If someone thinks that music sounds better in an unnatural sounding home theater system, they evidently have no experience with accurate music reproduction.

BTW, my stereo speakers are on both sides of my TV and I can feed my TV sound into my stereo system . Movies sound great and......natural. :)

Sterling1
United States of America

Post by Sterling1 » 08 Dec 2018 14:44

JDJX wrote:
08 Dec 2018 14:01
This is a music/ vinyl forum..... is it not?
I fail to see when the op requested info about setting up a (unnatural sounding and contrived) home theater system

Sure, a passive sub will work but, the fact remains that powered sub directly connected to an amp's speaker cables is better for music .
If someone thinks that music sounds better in an unnatural sounding home theater system, they evidently have no experience with accurate music reproduction.

BTW, my stereo speakers are on both sides of my TV and I can feed my TV sound into my stereo system . Movies sound great and......natural. :)

First, this is the Loudspeaker section of a Vinyl Forum; and, since subwoofer parameters have a non-discreationary audio result whether enjoyed for music and/or movies your failure to see is meaningless. Futhermore, it is not a fact that the active sub design is better than the passive concept in any manner that better can be discerned. So, please stop trolling.

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by JDJX » 08 Dec 2018 18:07

Troll? You got a mirror handy? :)

BTW, you say that you have a (necessary?) DSP in the mix. This means that the analog signal first has to be converted into a digital signal ...to be processed and changed digitally. Then, it has to converted back again into an analog signal.
Goodbye to a pure analog signal. from your TT.

Also
I don't understand much of what I've read in this thread...
I will let your admission speak for its self. :)

hobie1dog
United States of America

Post by hobie1dog » 08 Dec 2018 19:15

Sterling1 wrote:
07 Dec 2018 20:27
hobie1dog wrote:
07 Dec 2018 19:52
Pal, you can have as many subs as you want but you won't get stereo effect because low frequencies are non-directional. All you will get is sound reinforcement. For example, you could have a pipe organ miked to present a right channel impression and your listening experience would have you believe the sound stage is on your right; but, knock out all but the lowest frequencies and you will no longer be able to associate the pipe organ to the right channel unless the low frequencies are perhaps exclusive to the right channel and you are very close to the speaker. If they were being sent to a sub exclusively the low frequencies would not seem to be coming from any particular place in your listening room if the sub has been integrated properly. Many surround sound systems have two subs but they are not described as left or right, just sub 1 and sub 2.
You must have never experienced true stereo subwoofers with pipe organs then, hearing is believing, everything else is simply masturbation.

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by JDJX » 08 Dec 2018 19:52

Are we back to rattling all the windows and sending all the mice into deeper hiding, fearing for their lives? LOL

JoeE SP9
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by JoeE SP9 » 08 Dec 2018 20:17

I've been using two DIY TL subwoofers in stereo mode via an electronic crossover and bridged power amps for more than 20 years. Having tried them in mono and stereo, I prefer stereo. IMO my system's bass response is better when my subs run in stereo. Yes, there seems to be some bass directionality in some organ recordings and also in Thus Spake Zerathutra among other classical pieces.

Currently they are crossed over at ~60Hz.

dysmike
Germany

Post by dysmike » 09 Dec 2018 02:46

Dual subs sure help fill the room better, that's inarguable.

Sterling1
United States of America

Post by Sterling1 » 09 Dec 2018 09:33

dysmike wrote:
09 Dec 2018 02:46
Dual subs sure help fill the room better, that's inarguable.
Yes, it's sound reinforcement, the low frequencies are non-directional, that's inarguable.

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by JDJX » 09 Dec 2018 14:19

Just how big is a room.....how loud does someone play music.... how bad is one's hearing,....how bad are the main speakers... how bad are the subs used..... that someone would need two sub, given that the subs frequencies are not directional ? ;)