The most timeless songs of the 21st century...so far!

name that tune
vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Re: The most timeless songs of the 21st century...so far!

Post by vinyl master » 07 Dec 2018 04:52

reynolds617
United States of America

Post by reynolds617 » 08 Dec 2018 02:41

I don't think there are going to be too many "standards" coming out of this era for a few reasons.

There are so many more artists active nowadays than there were when most of these standards became such. Your choice back in the 20s, 30s and 40s was fairly limited, so the good songs that were out there were quickly embraced and became classics. There's so much "noise" out there now, it's hard to imagine many songs rising to that level. You can make and release a track from your bedroom on your laptop these days. There's also less of a need to cover other people's songs as a result.

But that's just my opinion, and I fully admit a heavy anti-popular music bias; I haven't voluntarily listened to a commercial radio station in over 25 years. But my point about the proliferation of the amount of music available today decreasing the need for standards stands, regardless of what I think about the music itself.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 08 Dec 2018 17:55

It's odd...When I look at many of my older albums from the 50's and 60's, every one seems to have a cover of something like "Tammy", "Three Coins In The Fountain", "Around The World", "Autumn Leaves" or something like that...Even Rod Stewart was singing things like "They Can't Take That Away From Me" and "These Foolish Things" only just a few short years ago...Many of the older artists like Bette Midler will put out a tribute album on occasion, like she did for Peggy Lee...Younger artists have done this, too, on occasion, like Billie Joe Armstrong & Norah Jones did for The Everly Brothers catalog...Artists like Madeleine Peyroux, John Mayer and Rumer have performed quite a few cover tunes over the years...I just wonder if any NEW songs of this era will ever rise to that level or will people be forever covering songs like the ones I mentioned...Are there any WORTHY of such status to be called a "new standard"? Not that the old standards are bad songs...Not in the least, but every so often, it's nice to hear something new that sounds as timeless as those old chestnuts...I'll admit you won't necessarily hear them on popular radio and you have to look for them harder, but good songs based on their lyrical content and melody must be out there somewhere amid all the fracas, masquerading as music today...

JoeE SP9
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by JoeE SP9 » 08 Dec 2018 19:45

Herbie Hancock has his answer to this question in his CD, The New Standard. I rather like his treatment of Thieves In The Temple.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 08 Dec 2018 20:25

Here's one I quite like that Randy Bachman co-wrote for his 2004 album, "Jazz Thing"...

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 08 Dec 2018 20:31

Brian Wilson is still writing gems, too, like this one from his last album, "No Pier Pressure"...

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 08 Dec 2018 20:40

Here's one from My Morning Jacket that America also covered...

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 08 Dec 2018 20:49

I also think about those country songs like "I Walk The Line", "Cold Cold Heart" and "He Stopped Loving Her Today"...Does anyone write country songs like that today??? Ones where the lines are so devastating, real and authentic that you just stop in your tracks after listening to them? :-k

And no...I'm not talking about the endless cloned tunes about partying, beaches, pick-up trucks and beer...The standards are called STANDARDS because the lyrics went deeper than that! :?

Most rap will never attain all-time classic status for similar reasons, as the topics discussed don't get very deep, either...There may be classics in the genre, but more power to ya if you can get your philosophy of life from a modern hit rap song... :roll:

Just my two cents, of course... 8-[

ChrisLovesRock
United States of America

Post by ChrisLovesRock » 28 Dec 2018 07:33

One rap tune I'll throw in is "1-800-273-8255" by Logic f/Alissia Cara and Khalid. This suicide prevention anthem could easily stand the test of time.

I have a much higher opinion of 2010s music than most people my age do. It's still a far cry from the 90s and earlier, but it's better than a handful of 2000s tunes that have thankfully been forgotten.

Here are some worthy candidates:

Britney Spears - "Everytime"

The song already feels timeless. Everything about the song is raw and real. Britney wrote it herself (with co-writer Annette Artani) about her breakup with Justin Timberlake. No beats, no synthesizers (not that there's anything wrong that either of those), just a simple piano and string section. I recommend the entire In the Zone album.

Britney Spears - "Heaven on Earth"

An album deep cut from Blackout. Very complex arrangement that is quite catchy. Again, I recommend the entire album. Flawless.

Alessia Cara - "Scars to Your Beautiful"

A beautiful pop song with a message about inner and outer beauty.

Anything by Halsey

Ed Sheeran "Shape of You"

Who says a great song has to be serious? That riff is enough for me.

Ed Sheeran "Castle on the Hill"

Ed Sheeran "Perfect"

Eminem "Stan"

Khalid & Normani "Love Lies"

Instantly catchy, with a nice melody.

Kesha - "Praying"

Swedish House Mafia - "Don't You Worry Child"

The lyrics are very poignant.

Gnarls Barkley "Crazy"

Cee Lo Green "(Forget) You"

Britney Spears - "Oops I Did It Again"

NSYNC - "Bye Bye Bye"

Justin Timberlake - "Cry Me a River"

This is the moment when Justin said "Bye Bye Bye" to his NSYNC days.

Tove Lo - "Talking Body"

Ruth B - "Lost Boy"

Ariana Grande - "God is a Woman"

Shawn Mendes "Treat You Better"

Adele - "Hello"

John Legend - "All of Me"

Hozier - "Take Me to Church"

A dark horse pop hit about a man who has more faith in his lover than with the church. The song is a bold and biting criticism of organized religion and the hate and hypocrisy it spreads.

Sia - "Chandelier"

Major Lazer - "Lean On"

A nice bop.

Katy Perry f/Skip Marley - "Chained to the Rhythm"

A politically charged pop song written in the wake of Trump.

Skip Marley - "Lions"

An angry anthem for a generation "tired of lies" and oppressive leadership. You could say it runs in the family.

Amber Run - "I Found"

Rhianna - "Stay"

A nice ballad. One of her better songs.

YG & Nipsey Hussle "FDT"

This anti-Trump protest rap song may become almost as timeless as the 60s anthems.
Last edited by ChrisLovesRock on 28 Dec 2018 08:12, edited 1 time in total.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 28 Dec 2018 08:06

You posed some interesting ones there, ChrisLovesRock...I'll agree with Kesha's "Praying", Adele's "Hello" and "Scars To Your Beautiful"...That said, OTOH, I still don't think Michael Buble or Harry Connick, Jr. will be covering any of those any time soon...Of course, if we were talking about a group like Postmodern Jukebox, then who knows? :-k