a space odyssey
Tarzan

Re: Solidair Audio Pylons

Post by Tarzan » 21 Nov 2018 15:39

watchnerd wrote:
20 Nov 2018 16:26
tketcham wrote:
20 Nov 2018 15:20
I haven't noticed resonance problems with the spring suspension on my Gyro SE but can see how those metal coils might transfer vibrations to/from the frame. The polymer inserts that hold the springs probably stop some (most?) of those vibrations but the inserts must have a resonance frequency that allows certain vibrations to pass through. What frequency and how much gets transferred is probably unknown unless Michell Engineering has done some testing.

My hunch is that the springs don't pick up or transfer that much vibration and if people have problems with resonance it's due to things other than the springs. Or at least the springs are a small part of the problem. That's my theory anyway. =)

Regards,
Tom

PS: I will note that I use a Gingko Cloud isolation platform under my Gyro SE. I swapped out the stock balls that come with the platform with some Herbie's Grungebuster balls. The Grungebuster balls are smaller in diameter and more dense, so are much more stable (less bouncy) and seem to be better at dampening the frequencies that matter. The result is a platform that isolates the turntable from the stereo rack but doesn't kill the liveliness of the 'table. At least in my listening room to my ears.

Regards,
Tom
If it's really an issue, it's pretty easy and cheap to use some Sorbothane washers.
Actually that sounds like a good idea.

hexxthalion

Post by hexxthalion » 27 Nov 2018 19:41

Tarzan wrote:
20 Nov 2018 13:17
dinogyro wrote:
14 Nov 2018 17:53
This looks interesting, as I have never really liked the springs and never found the perfect bounce!

But if it is just cotton thread, then there is no more suspension? Won't floor vibration go straight to the turntable?
Same here, the springs ring like a cow bell......however the SAA Pylons have no suspension...….

Any further thoughts on The Pylons Hex? :D
Sorry not yet, too busy and weekends either away or some visitors over - but definitely want to compare

blakep

Post by blakep » 27 Nov 2018 22:07

No problem. Report back when you can. Appreciate it.

gwernaffield

Post by gwernaffield » 01 Dec 2018 19:59

i have the answer cheap up grades for michell gyro , -orbe

Werner
long player
long player

Post by Werner » 05 Dec 2018 07:20

Looking at the pictures I am impressed with Peter's (gwernafield) work.

dinogyro

Post by dinogyro » 05 Dec 2018 13:37

I think I might ask Santa for a set.

gwernaffield

Post by gwernaffield » 05 Dec 2018 16:07

they are based around the original engineering points ,there was away to stay inside that which after loads of attempts some realy ugly and some just none starters, a hell of a lot of money ,but then asked to reinvent them with out the use of hooks , i did but it involved grub screws, and slots that took a long time to make,so then i was about to throw the lot in the bin ,but after a large coffee and a brain wave i came up with these, i think i am correct in saying holes are used to machine the casting and every thing else so they must be the datum points for the gyro and orbe the trick is to use them and some thing else, which i have done,
Solidair uses his feet as his is part of the upgrades it will not do what this does,
these keep the chassis stiff,but when you load the LP you will feel the little bounce,
But as i have talked to Miles the owner of solidaraudio i will not rubbish his product,
it is down to your ears to judge them , if you don't like what you hear send them back and i will give every penny back , i cannot say more or less,

Tarzan

Post by Tarzan » 05 Dec 2018 19:15

gwernaffield wrote:
05 Dec 2018 16:07
they are based around the original engineering points ,there was away to stay inside that which after loads of attempts some realy ugly and some just none starters, a hell of a lot of money ,but then asked to reinvent them with out the use of hooks , i did but it involved grub screws, and slots that took a long time to make,so then i was about to throw the lot in the bin ,but after a large coffee and a brain wave i came up with these, i think i am correct in saying holes are used to machine the casting and every thing else so they must be the datum points for the gyro and orbe the trick is to use them and some thing else, which i have done,
Solidair uses his feet as his is part of the upgrades it will not do what this does,
these keep the chassis stiff,but when you load the LP you will feel the little bounce,
But as i have talked to Miles the owner of solidaraudio i will not rubbish his product,
it is down to your ears to judge them , if you don't like what you hear send them back and i will give every penny back , i cannot say more or less,
You are not having my set back...….

gwernaffield

Post by gwernaffield » 09 Dec 2018 15:50

i forgot to add i am not in the HIFI trade , these are made as a hobby , and are intended to get the very best out of there Michell Turntable, i do not do reviews it is upto the user to do that ,if they have a problem i will help ,as Michell made every TT different , in size of the spring retaining hole which means parts like the pylon replacements have to be made individually for each TT, there is no mass production , it is impossible to do ,they are made as a hobby, and not by a trader selling some thing for a large profit work it out , pylons by solidair are £130 -£140 + the feet £225 -£199, which ever way they will cost you £330 , but the pylon replacement i do is half that , the difference is it is a hobby , and not mass production sent in a bag and not in fancy packing , you only pay the costs of the parts and packing , due to the machining cost being high as a small one off parts,
pete

Tarzan

Post by Tarzan » 18 Dec 2018 21:42

dinogyro wrote:
05 Dec 2018 13:37
I think I might ask Santa for a set.
l did- and l am glad l did. :mrgreen:

Warning: Review coming soon.

dinogyro

Post by dinogyro » 19 Dec 2018 09:12

I am getting some too. Hopefully I will have time to fit and test them in the next month!

Tarzan

Review; gweraffield ( Pete's0 Pylons.

Post by Tarzan » 19 Dec 2018 12:44

Having had these bad boys for a couple of weeks now and feel l have a handle on them l only thought it appropriate to put pen to paper and spread the love of this upgrade...….

Having felt that the springs on my maxxed out Gyrodec could be bettered ( they ring like a cow bell )it is like waiting for a bus- two quite similar products in principle come along at the same time :mrgreen: They are made of Delrin which has superb vibration properties and 0 rubber rings, they were easy to fit and machined superbly basically the Pylons replace the spring suspension and this is the important part- stop the platter, moving from side to side, fitted in no time at all- and best of all passes by the dreaded 'Gyrodec bounce' and just levelling the deck is all that was required, so sat down to listen and listen...……. and listen..... B'Jesus, the solidity, imaging has taken a very large step forward W&F is way down, this in turn gives a deeper more 3D effect, tonal colourings are also up, the feeling of the deck sounding calmer and being in total control of the record is very, very, obvious, oh and the backgrounds are a LOT blacker, dynamics are up and this brings a strange sensation that the sound is louder ( however this is due the blacker backgrounds)…. l could go on and on, but am going to listen to more records, l know of no other upgrade to my Gyro that has given me this lift in sound quality ( and trust me l have done a lot.) If you are thinking of upgrading your Gyro/Orbe or was thinking of moving on from them you simply have to try this upgrade.

l have no connection with gweraffield just one very happy camper.

gwernaffield

Post by gwernaffield » 19 Dec 2018 18:07

Hi Tarzan thank you ,but although the design may be similar , they are totally different in the approach to the problem , the design i have used through engineering knowledge- background , they had to be made on a lathe and a milling machine, the o-rings used where an absolute pain to get the correct size, the other part that is used to keep the deck central took a good couple of hrs to do , the Design uses the suspension points off the chassis,and is not left to wave in mid air like solid air audo pylons made of wood and string do not stop W&F would let the belt go lose, ,

What i needed was a little bit of give when the lp is placed on the deck and to keep the deck still suspended, hence the 0 -ring but the design has changed from the use of hooks to where it is now, they were never designed similar to Solidair audio as you know you have seen some of the development on wam
, They are late to market but i am not a trader , i do not have fancy packing or boxes, hence the large price difference ,
Miles the owner of solid air has used some of the cheap upgrades of AOS which i put up over 18mths ago ,when these were first thought off , but the cost is stupid,
i now can get them made due to finding a machine shop that did not want £20 per nut and then £25 per base, so i waited and done the hooked version which was good but looked crap ,

After a talk with miles solid air audio he said i was just fiddling around which i was a bit up set at, he had copied the cheap upgrade for the motor but done it in wood, which i would not advise as the toilet doughnut still has a bit of movement on start up , if you use wood the fear is the bearing in the motor would collapse,
, so i just carried on and done the pylons that your now enjoying
they are a true engineering solution , and not just an after though to add to a business,to sell as part of the upgrade to the feet ,and call them part 2 ,

gwernaffield

Post by gwernaffield » 26 Dec 2018 23:06

There seems to be a fault that keeps reoccurring the adjuster Michell has made is causing a problem , due to the chrome
as they can be any size, 10mm up to 10.3 so now the adjuster must be measured before i make them for any one
this is a Hobby at this moment , all the parts are supplied at cost , so i have to ask a lot of questions before i normally do these and then if there is a problem sort that out which is turning out to be the adjuster ,
so now
1 if the deck is not 100% level ,the bearing bush will get stuck and not return
2 the adjuster is too big , take out the bush and open the hole up as the bush is split it will open up when the large adjuster is pushed into it , they should just let the bush slide up the adjuster and not wobble,
3 there is a fault with the deck the adjuster post is not square ,and the bush will not move take the bush out ,as the design uses 3 but 2 will do,
4 return them with your adjusters , and i will adjuster them and sent them back i will pay the post 2nd class only please
5 return them i will arrange to refund your money,
6 ask me to get new adjusters off Michell with will cost about £35 , or i will send 3 adjusters and you send 3 back ,
sorry about the above but this is a continuing problem that has to be put correct , Michell Chromed the adjuster and there has been that many different sizes i have to put this note,
pete

gwernaffield

Post by gwernaffield » 27 Dec 2018 18:01

i have noticed some one said put some cheap washers to stop the spring vibrating , well that will Not stop the chassis rotating on start up where the problem is , the rotation causes vibration .in to the belt as it slackens off , and tightens back up , this cannot happen with the design i have done, sorbothane will not cure this ,

''If it's really an issue, it's pretty easy and cheap to use some Sorbothane washers.'' it will Never work in a million years
unless and i mean unless you change the design completely to compression and then why buy a suspended turntable as you would have to place the chassis on top of sorbothane to get it to work