Solidair Audio Pylons

a space odyssey
hexxthalion

Solidair Audio Pylons

Post by hexxthalion » 22 Oct 2018 00:18

Hi, has anyone tried or heard any feedback about Solidair Audio Pylons?

Link: https://solidairaudio.com/shop/michell- ... ec-pylons/

hexxthalion

Re: Solidair Audio Pylons

Post by hexxthalion » 22 Oct 2018 09:38

Decided to order a set, there’s 28 days return policy. Will try and report back (a bit costly for 6 pieces of “exotic” wood and 18 o-rings)

Tarzan

Post by Tarzan » 28 Oct 2018 09:25

hexxthalion wrote:
22 Oct 2018 09:38
Decided to order a set, there’s 28 days return policy. Will try and report back (a bit costly for 6 pieces of “exotic” wood and 18 o-rings)
Any word yet Hex? :)

blakep

Post by blakep » 31 Oct 2018 22:54

Curious about these also, as well as their mag-lev feet.

sch-w1ng

Post by sch-w1ng » 02 Nov 2018 14:44

Be interesting to hear what Michell has to say about these products!

hexxthalion

Post by hexxthalion » 04 Nov 2018 11:36

Will be installing them today, too busy last few weeks. Few things to note though:
- the o-rings aren’t o-rings but a cotton string
- packaging is nice and probably the most expensive part :)
- from what I can see I’m not sure how this retains “suspension” functionality
- for a piece a wood and cotton string it’s a bit costly (my Mrs was laughing at me when I unpacked them)

Will report back in the evening

hexxthalion

Post by hexxthalion » 04 Nov 2018 15:15

Installed and listened to several records and tracks I know. These are the comments so far, below, I’ll leave it on the TT for a week and then swap to stock ones to compare.

- lower noise floor
- as a result, more details
- musicians “calmed” down and there’s better focus in terms of soundstage
- better attack on drums, better dynamics
- piano has more “wood” to it and everything seems to be a bit larger with more space around
- trebles and mids benefited
- not sure about the lower registers yet, they do go low but in a way not so much impact (need to listen more and re-check VTA)

So far very surprised by the change. It all seems more realistic but also calmer, with more focused soundstage.

blakep

Post by blakep » 05 Nov 2018 04:46

Very interesting. Thanks for the report. All seems very positive with the exception of lower frequencies and that may indeed be positive as well. Often when there's an improvement bass seems somewhat diminished but it is really the removal of bloat and distortion in that area.

I hope you report back once you revert to the stock springs after a week or two. Thanks again.

watchnerd

Post by watchnerd » 06 Nov 2018 06:48

hexxthalion wrote:
04 Nov 2018 15:15
Installed and listened to several records and tracks I know. These are the comments so far, below, I’ll leave it on the TT for a week and then swap to stock ones to compare.

- lower noise floor
- as a result, more details
- musicians “calmed” down and there’s better focus in terms of soundstage
- better attack on drums, better dynamics
- piano has more “wood” to it and everything seems to be a bit larger with more space around
- trebles and mids benefited
- not sure about the lower registers yet, they do go low but in a way not so much impact (need to listen more and re-check VTA)

So far very surprised by the change. It all seems more realistic but also calmer, with more focused soundstage.
Doesn't this change the nature of the suspension greatly?

I thought at first they were rubber bands (like SME), but they're cotton strings.

Given the lack of shock absorption, it would seem to make the TT "less suspended"....?

dinogyro

Post by dinogyro » 14 Nov 2018 17:53

This looks interesting, as I have never really liked the springs and never found the perfect bounce!

But if it is just cotton thread, then there is no more suspension? Won't floor vibration go straight to the turntable?

watchnerd

Post by watchnerd » 14 Nov 2018 19:05

dinogyro wrote:
14 Nov 2018 17:53
This looks interesting, as I have never really liked the springs and never found the perfect bounce!

But if it is just cotton thread, then there is no more suspension? Won't floor vibration go straight to the turntable?
That was my thought.

If they were rubber bands like SME or the Pedersen mod, it would be different.

Werner
long player
long player

Post by Werner » 16 Nov 2018 07:10

dinogyro wrote:
then there is no more suspension? Won't floor vibration go straight to the turntable?
Of course.

Tarzan

Post by Tarzan » 20 Nov 2018 13:17

dinogyro wrote:

Same here, the springs ring like a cow bell......however the SAA Pylons have no suspension...….

Any further thoughts on The Pylons Hex? :D

tketcham

Post by tketcham » 20 Nov 2018 15:20

I haven't noticed resonance problems with the spring suspension on my Gyro SE but can see how those metal coils might transfer vibrations to/from the frame. The polymer inserts that hold the springs probably stop some (most?) of those vibrations but the inserts must have a resonance frequency that allows certain vibrations to pass through. What frequency and how much gets transferred is probably unknown unless Michell Engineering has done some testing.

My hunch is that the springs don't pick up or transfer that much vibration and if people have problems with resonance it's due to things other than the springs. Or at least the springs are a small part of the problem. That's my theory anyway. =)

Regards,
Tom

PS: I will note that I use a Gingko Cloud isolation platform under my Gyro SE. I swapped out the stock balls that come with the platform with some Herbie's Grungebuster balls. The Grungebuster balls are smaller in diameter and more dense, so are much more stable (less bouncy) and seem to be better at dampening the frequencies that matter. The result is a platform that isolates the turntable from the stereo rack but doesn't kill the liveliness of the 'table. At least in my listening room to my ears.

Regards,
Tom

watchnerd

Post by watchnerd » 20 Nov 2018 16:26

tketcham wrote:
20 Nov 2018 15:20
I haven't noticed resonance problems with the spring suspension on my Gyro SE but can see how those metal coils might transfer vibrations to/from the frame. The polymer inserts that hold the springs probably stop some (most?) of those vibrations but the inserts must have a resonance frequency that allows certain vibrations to pass through. What frequency and how much gets transferred is probably unknown unless Michell Engineering has done some testing.

My hunch is that the springs don't pick up or transfer that much vibration and if people have problems with resonance it's due to things other than the springs. Or at least the springs are a small part of the problem. That's my theory anyway. =)

Regards,
Tom

PS: I will note that I use a Gingko Cloud isolation platform under my Gyro SE. I swapped out the stock balls that come with the platform with some Herbie's Grungebuster balls. The Grungebuster balls are smaller in diameter and more dense, so are much more stable (less bouncy) and seem to be better at dampening the frequencies that matter. The result is a platform that isolates the turntable from the stereo rack but doesn't kill the liveliness of the 'table. At least in my listening room to my ears.

Regards,
Tom
If it's really an issue, it's pretty easy and cheap to use some Sorbothane washers.