cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Re: Bright speaker cable

Post by cafe latte » 14 Nov 2018 23:32

jdjohn wrote:
14 Nov 2018 23:23
The use of silver in cables was mentioned earlier in this thread as adding more brightness. I'm guessing many of you here have read where someone added silver-containing cables to their system, but it sounded TOO bright, so they took them out. Obviously someone willing to spend extra money on silver cables was expecting an improvement, but in the end, they took them out because the 'improvement' was not what they desired.

That tells me that cables make a difference, but not always a good difference. Sometimes folks buy expensive cable, but don't keep it because they don't like the effect. Some of the comments in this thread suggest that people automatically like their new expensive cables just because they paid more money. Clearly that is not always the case, but it does prove that cables can make a difference, even a negative one.
Perception bias is strong and silver is shiny and bright so they must sound bright, no?
Chris

Spinner45
long player
long player

Post by Spinner45 » 15 Nov 2018 00:31

cafe latte wrote:
14 Nov 2018 23:32
jdjohn wrote:
14 Nov 2018 23:23
The use of silver in cables was mentioned earlier in this thread as adding more brightness. I'm guessing many of you here have read where someone added silver-containing cables to their system, but it sounded TOO bright, so they took them out. Obviously someone willing to spend extra money on silver cables was expecting an improvement, but in the end, they took them out because the 'improvement' was not what they desired.

That tells me that cables make a difference, but not always a good difference. Sometimes folks buy expensive cable, but don't keep it because they don't like the effect. Some of the comments in this thread suggest that people automatically like their new expensive cables just because they paid more money. Clearly that is not always the case, but it does prove that cables can make a difference, even a negative one.
Perception bias is strong and silver is shiny and bright so they must sound bright, no?
Chris
Damn right!
And using iron wiring gives the sound a touch of "darkness" :lol:

Spinner45
long player
long player

Post by Spinner45 » 15 Nov 2018 00:36

Let's get real here, please.
If the thin cat5e copper wiring running from my basement, 25 feet or so up inside the walls to my home office allows me GIGAHERTZ speeds of digital information, I'm quite sure common speaker wiring can certainly pass audio without issue.

I don't know where the hell people come up with obsessing over such things.
Come back down to earth.

cats squirrel
long player
long player
England

Post by cats squirrel » 15 Nov 2018 00:47

Spinner45 wrote:
15 Nov 2018 00:36
If the thin cat5e copper wiring running from my basement, 25 feet or so up inside the walls to my home office allows me GIGAHERTZ speeds of digital information, I'm quite sure common speaker wiring can certainly pass audio without issue.

Come back down to earth.
you live on Earth? Sorry, I thought you were living on another planet!.... :lol:

Spinner45
long player
long player

Post by Spinner45 » 15 Nov 2018 05:41

cats squirrel wrote:
15 Nov 2018 00:47
Spinner45 wrote:
15 Nov 2018 00:36

Come back down to earth.
you live on Earth? Sorry, I thought you were living on another planet!.... :lol:
No sir.
My feet are solidly grounded on this planet.
Although, I see quite a few these days with their heads in some cloud. :shock:

andybeau
long player
long player
England

Post by andybeau » 15 Nov 2018 10:05

Cable threads, always an enjoyable read :lol:

cats squirrel
long player
long player
England

Post by cats squirrel » 15 Nov 2018 11:07

Spinner45 wrote:
15 Nov 2018 05:41

No sir.
My feet are solidly grounded on this planet.
Although, I see quite a few these days with their heads in some cloud. :shock:
:D

although, better to have heads in clouds, where music can be appreciated, than to have them buried in the sand. :(

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Post by cafe latte » 15 Nov 2018 11:38

Come on guys it is only wire.
Chris

cats squirrel
long player
long player
England

Post by cats squirrel » 15 Nov 2018 12:01

cafe latte wrote:
15 Nov 2018 11:38
Come on guys it is only wire.
Chris
But it is not just a wire (or cable). It is a wire/cable that connects an amplifier to a loudspeaker. All must be included.. There is at least one (respected?) amplifier where the wrong wire/cable leads to instability. 'Just a wire'?

For those who cannot hear a difference, or will never accept that there can be a difference, please accept that there are others that can hear a difference, or at least think that they can, and are happy. :D

fluteboy
England

Post by fluteboy » 15 Nov 2018 12:06

In the words of Boutros Boutros Ghali:

"Put down your guns and listen to Bob Marley!" :mrgreen:

cats squirrel
long player
long player
England

Post by cats squirrel » 15 Nov 2018 13:13

fluteboy wrote:
15 Nov 2018 12:06
In the words of Boutros Boutros Ghali:

"Put down your guns and listen to Bob Marley!" :mrgreen:
two bits of wet string would be enough to listen to King Bob...

Spinner45
long player
long player

Post by Spinner45 » 15 Nov 2018 17:36

cats squirrel wrote:
15 Nov 2018 12:01

For those who cannot hear a difference, or will never accept that there can be a difference, please accept that there are others that can hear a difference, or at least think that they can, and are happy. :D
Indeed, I accept the fact that others are prone to believing what they want, because people are different, with different beliefs, different tastes.
I also hold fast to accepting scientific facts, which, devoid of human beliefs or senses, results in conclusions which cannot be modified by any argument.

aardvarkash10
long player
long player

Post by aardvarkash10 » 15 Nov 2018 19:46

cats squirrel wrote:
15 Nov 2018 12:01
But it is not just a wire (or cable). It is a wire/cable that connects an amplifier to a loudspeaker. All must be included.. There is at least one (respected?) amplifier where the wrong wire/cable leads to instability. 'Just a wire'?

Its wire. If an amplifier is so unstable that neglible cpacitance and a minute resistance affects its operation, that speaks volumes about the poor design of the amp, not the physical properties of the wire.

Many people PERCEIVE a difference. or, as you say, think they can hear a difference - and thats fine. All power to them I say if they derive enjoyment from it. But they need to understand that their perception has the same evidence base as those who perceive spirits and claim they can hear messages from the dead ie none whatsoever.

dysmike
Germany

Post by dysmike » 15 Nov 2018 20:06

One of the things I've been trying to teach to younger engineers is that perception is reality.

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 16 Nov 2018 00:54

"think they can". Key phrase. Very strong inclination, especially if you spent more than you should have. Iron cables, to give you the rusty--I mean rustic--sound.