Heed orbit 2

a space odyssey
Als1

Heed orbit 2

Post by Als1 » 22 Jun 2018 08:22

Hello there,

Could anyone advise if is possible to run a Michell ac motor with a Heed orbit 2 power supply?

Thanks

Als

watchnerd

Re: Heed orbit 2

Post by watchnerd » 08 Nov 2018 07:02

Als1 wrote:
22 Jun 2018 08:22
Hello there,

Could anyone advise if is possible to run a Michell ac motor with a Heed orbit 2 power supply?

Thanks

Als
What benefit would that theoretically provide?

blakep

Post by blakep » 08 Nov 2018 23:49

watchnerd wrote:
08 Nov 2018 07:02
Als1 wrote:
Hello there,

Thanks

Als
If you are running the AC motor stock without an upgraded power supply from Michell the benefits would be:

1) Push button speed change from 33 to 45 and
2) very likely improvements in sound quality due to improved speed stability and/or reduction in motor noise/vibration

watchnerd

Post by watchnerd » 09 Nov 2018 05:54

blakep wrote:
08 Nov 2018 23:49
watchnerd wrote:
08 Nov 2018 07:02
Als1 wrote:
Hello there,

Thanks

Als
If you are running the AC motor stock without an upgraded power supply from Michell the benefits would be:

1) Push button speed change from 33 to 45 and
2) very likely improvements in sound quality due to improved speed stability and/or reduction in motor noise/vibration
Isn't it cleaner / one fewer boxes to just switch to the DC motor?

blakep

Post by blakep » 09 Nov 2018 23:51

watchnerd wrote:
09 Nov 2018 05:54
Clearly, one could do that and eliminate a box, unless you then wanted to upgrade the DC motor with the HR power supply. Then you're back to 2 boxes :wink: .

The OP may have had other considerations as well, financial outlay and sound quality among them. The first is pretty easy to calculate. To come up with conclusions on the 2nd you'd have to listen to all the variations (ie. AC Motor with Heed-if it is compatible-vs. DC Motor alone and DC motor with HR Power Supply) which is easier said than done.

watchnerd

Post by watchnerd » 10 Nov 2018 02:22

blakep wrote:
09 Nov 2018 23:51
watchnerd wrote:
09 Nov 2018 05:54
Clearly, one could do that and eliminate a box, unless you then wanted to upgrade the DC motor with the HR power supply. Then you're back to 2 boxes :wink: .

The OP may have had other considerations as well, financial outlay and sound quality among them. The first is pretty easy to calculate. To come up with conclusions on the 2nd you'd have to listen to all the variations (ie. AC Motor with Heed-if it is compatible-vs. DC Motor alone and DC motor with HR Power Supply) which is easier said than done.
It's unlikely that the HR Power Supply can effect sound quality by any means other than either better speed stability or (maybe) reduced noise...and that last one is a real stretch given the motor is isolated from the rest of the TT.

For speed stability, I got mine to hold speed indefinitely 33.34-33.36 (a bit high on purpose to account for stylus drag, I would have just as easily have dialed it to 33.32 - 33.34), a variance of .06%, just using the stock power supply.

blakep

Post by blakep » 10 Nov 2018 02:47

watchnerd wrote:
10 Nov 2018 02:22

It's unlikely that the HR Power Supply can effect sound quality by any means other than either better speed stability or (maybe) reduced noise...and that last one is a real stretch given the motor is isolated from the rest of the TT.
I've read a lot of very favourable comments on the HR supply.

My AC Gyro is much older and is a full plinth version, so the motor is technically attached to the plinth.

I run the table off a variac (a tip that I picked up from Harry Weisfeld at VPI-he's very fond of the original AC motor in the Gyro, which is also in some of the older Empire tables and he has a number of those) and ramp the voltage down to 60 from 115 after startup (power supplies like the Linn Lingo and VPI SDS and their newer supply typically automatically dial the voltage down to about 70-75 after startup) and you can literally feel the vibration dissipating from the AC motor when you do that. That vibration is going to be transferred into the plinth in my model, as well as directly through the pulley and belt to the platter.

I have no idea how much to attribute the improvement in sound quality to the reduction of noise/vibration in either of those areas but it is definitely audible and not a "stretch" here.

watchnerd

Post by watchnerd » 10 Nov 2018 03:31

blakep wrote:
10 Nov 2018 02:47
watchnerd wrote:
10 Nov 2018 02:22

I've read a lot of very favourable comments on the HR supply.

My AC Gyro is much older and is a full plinth version, so the motor is technically attached to the plinth.

I run the table off a variac (a tip that I picked up from Harry Weisfeld at VPI-he's very fond of the original AC motor in the Gyro, which is also in some of the older Empire tables and he has a number of those) and ramp the voltage down to 60 from 115 after startup (power supplies like the Linn Lingo and VPI SDS and their newer supply typically automatically dial the voltage down to about 70-75 after startup) and you can literally feel the vibration dissipating from the AC motor when you do that. That vibration is going to be transferred into the plinth in my model, as well as directly through the pulley and belt to the platter.

I have no idea how much to attribute the improvement in sound quality to the reduction of noise/vibration in either of those areas but it is definitely audible and not a "stretch" here.
I've read a lot of things on many audio forums, and a lot of it is placebo.

If it is a vibration / noise issue, it's easy to diagnose (use a stethoscope, for starters) and far more direct and probably cheaper to handle mechanical isolation issues mechanically. If the motor is vibrating, stick some vibration absorption materials into the chain.

As far as electrical isolation goes....well, there isn't any electrical connection between the motor and the rest of the turntable.