Tweaks for AC outlet

radio, tape, stands and accessories
TD 166 MKII
Canada

Tweaks for AC outlet

Post by TD 166 MKII » 06 Sep 2018 08:57

OK I have seen some neat tweaks and some just like cables and other things in this chosen hobby/lifestyle can and is very expensive, but I came across one today from Future Tech that just had my head shaking. Outlet covers, one looks to be stainless steel with their name on the top. Suppose to have dampening affect at the socket $36.00 US and a Carbon Fiber one that supposed to be better for $106.00. Now just think, you have/choose to buy all the heavy Cabling and Sockets and Plugs and the Cable supports and the power conditioners and its all worth squat [-X without the Covers because its the only thing that stops the Vibration of the 60 Hz cycle. =D>
I guess what happens is the power becomes so clean from everything else that its the last thing that can be heard, it makes it through all that equipment and renders it all useless. Now I ask what happens when you plug into your Power Conditioner as now it is a new plug with the 60 Hz Vibration, has it not just reproduced itself just down the line? I think I will have to make a Dampening Blanket that you place on your special chair so when you pass wind your very expensive and sensitive system will not pick it up and cause distortion, If its loud enough you may wonder where you heard it from the system in HiFi Stereo or from down below? You know some of those Cartridges are very sensitive, but with the Blanket you would be sitting with eyes closed remembering that special girl or that special moment with your buddies and this odor will just flounder its way to your nostrils and you will wonder if your Tubes are over heating or your Power Cables are melting because you have be Dampened. [-o< I know, an entire, suit so it will take care of your Heart Beat also, boy that could be quite confusing when listening to Dark Side of the Moon. #-o
Well so I ordered three, one for the Computer System, now I know why its so slow and one for the HT System should really make those Colors pop and one the for Listening Center, I always thought it was the pre amp Tubes go figure. :roll:

gofar99
United States of America

Re: Tweaks for AC outlet

Post by gofar99 » 06 Sep 2018 22:27

:roll: You realize that the slots in the screws holding the covers to the outlet need to be aligned horizontally as the EMI is polarized. If you don't get that part right then the bad vibrations will be emphasized not minimized. :lol:

Spinner45
long player
long player

Post by Spinner45 » 06 Sep 2018 23:40

Ugh!
That crap has already been discussed in This Thread...

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... 36&t=24446

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 07 Sep 2018 00:54

You mean damping, not dampening.

sunderwood
United States of America

Post by sunderwood » 09 Sep 2018 00:18

If tweaks like this were cheap, say a dollar or two each, you could try them and if you couldn't tell any difference you wouldn't have lost that much. If you notice most of the time they are very expensive. By the way, does anyone remember the device that was supposed to improve your sound that was basically a jar full of rocks that you sat on a table in the room. I seem to remember it being reviewed in one of the stereo magazines.

ChrisfromRI
United States of America

Post by ChrisfromRI » 14 Sep 2018 01:54

Well, I'm not sure about the above tweaks but I do know one tweak for your audio system AC outlet that really does work. Run a dedicated 20 Amp single outlet to your audio room from its own 20 Amp breaker in the electrical panel, and then plug your outlet strip(s) into that one outlet and into no other outlets in the room. Plug your gear in there knowing it's all on one dedicated line unfettered with appliances, etc. That has worked for me in two houses...

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 14 Sep 2018 03:06

A dedicated circuit for a hifi system would be wonderful, and totally effective, and a great way to start with a clean slate. Now, if I had only had consultation with the fellow that wired up my current home. A great suggestion, assuming the opportunity presents itself. :D
Additionally, would like to add two hard to argue axioms...1. A fool and his money are soon parted, and 2. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

ChrisfromRI
United States of America

Post by ChrisfromRI » 14 Sep 2018 05:21

I am thankfully comfortable working in an electrical panel and running my own circuits, so long as I don't have to crawl on my hands and knees or tolerate a hot attic. I'm very fortunate here as we have a long driveway with Primary Power coming up the driveway (14.4 KV) and our own over-rated transformer at the top of the driveway on the last pole, with an underground feed into our house bringing the requisite 200A service, and even Fiber Optic Connectivity. The power is very well isolated from the neighbors due to the dedicated transformer, and there is not a dimmer in our house, or other noise-maker I know of. I ran my own dedicated 20A line to a single dedicated audio outlet in my listening room. It took about an hour to do and under $200 of materials - even including the one super high quality outlet. Oh, and quality to me means super tight gripping!

audiopile
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by audiopile » 14 Sep 2018 05:49

I have been trying to figure out the wiring in this house (updated and converted to office use -prior to us buying it for a home). After repeated shocks off the supposedly "off" at the breaker box BX shield -called in my favorite sparky. Steve spends about 20 min. looking it over and then finds a doubled up 4" box with a whole lot of wires and wire nutz a room over from where I was looking for the problem. Takes everything apart -reconnects it and it's all fixed -comment "another case of someone doing wiring whose color blind when it comes to black and white ". Guy who did the work on this house was a great carpenter and painter/drywaller - but should never touch a wire of anysort. Absolutely the worst network wiring job I've ever seen - ended up abandoning his work and replacing all the data and phone lines. BTW- we talked a Xray tech into taking some images of a majic wooden box with something potted inside it -turned out to be a inductor of some sort. had a AC power cord and a single AC US style outlet - suppose this might at least make a difference of some sort. 30 years ago it was a pretty expensive tweek - today it probly wouldn't be pricey enough to be noticed. Nice lacquered box though.

ChrisfromRI
United States of America

Post by ChrisfromRI » 14 Sep 2018 06:26

BX cable is notorious for bad grounds since it's a high lead content casing and not all that well connected. We has a house many years ago that was the Trifecta! It had BX, Romex, and Knob and Tube wiring. The knob and tube was downright dangerous and the first to be updated to Romex, and next was the BX, and that took care of the issues. In the early days I hired electricians and being an electrical engineer by education and profession I followed them around to see what they did, and I kept a note pad of all of the minor mistakes/short cuts they were making so I could go back and fix them properly later. After a few years of fixing short cuts I started just doing the work myself and never looked back. Homeowners can do their own electrical work, but only if you are comfortable and careful doing it. Plumbing is what I don't like to do, because I curse so much while I'm doing it...

audiopile
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by audiopile » 14 Sep 2018 07:45

I make my living as what the sparky's call a "low voltage wenie" and am happy with that status - i definitely don't know enough to fix other folks mistakes and because I've been living in 90 -120 year old houses for my entire adult life -mistakes and just plain amazingly bad ideas are the norm. What drives me nutz is customers who like me for my willingness to do it all in terms of low voltage stuff and are just SURE I'm holding out my hidden expertise on AC power wiring. Oh -and I'm a lot cheaper than a electrician -so they are pretty desperate to get me to do their "little job ".It often times comes down to having to look them in eye and tell 'em -I really don't know what I'm doing when it comes to power wiring and could burn your house down and since I'm not a licensed electrician would not have insurance to cover that -this is a real bad idea -hire a electrician. In the work I do my least favorite part of the job is constantly encountering open junction boxes with a wad of wire nuted wires sticking out of it -especially exciting when you manage to find it by shoving the top of your head into it or grab a handful of wires dragging yourself thru a basement crawl space or attic.

AudioFeline
Australia

Post by AudioFeline » 30 Jan 2019 13:34

TD 166 MKII wrote:
06 Sep 2018 08:57
...[a tweak] from Future Tech that just had my head shaking. Outlet covers, one looks to be stainless steel with their name on the top. Suppose to have dampening affect at the socket $36.00...
These clean the power because the stainless steel is shiny and any marks will simply wipe off with a microfibre cloth :lol:

Lazarus Short

Post by Lazarus Short » 30 Jan 2019 14:46

TD 166 MKII wrote:
06 Sep 2018 08:57
OK I have seen some neat tweaks and some just like cables and other things in this chosen hobby/lifestyle can and is very expensive, but I came across one today from Future Tech that just had my head shaking. Outlet covers, one looks to be stainless steel with their name on the top. Suppose to have dampening affect at the socket $36.00 US and a Carbon Fiber one that supposed to be better for $106.00. Now just think, you have/choose to buy all the heavy Cabling and Sockets and Plugs and the Cable supports and the power conditioners and its all worth squat [-X without the Covers because its the only thing that stops the Vibration of the 60 Hz cycle. =D>
I guess what happens is the power becomes so clean from everything else that its the last thing that can be heard, it makes it through all that equipment and renders it all useless. Now I ask what happens when you plug into your Power Conditioner as now it is a new plug with the 60 Hz Vibration, has it not just reproduced itself just down the line? I think I will have to make a Dampening Blanket that you place on your special chair so when you pass wind your very expensive and sensitive system will not pick it up and cause distortion, If its loud enough you may wonder where you heard it from the system in HiFi Stereo or from down below? You know some of those Cartridges are very sensitive, but with the Blanket you would be sitting with eyes closed remembering that special girl or that special moment with your buddies and this odor will just flounder its way to your nostrils and you will wonder if your Tubes are over heating or your Power Cables are melting because you have be Dampened. [-o< I know, an entire, suit so it will take care of your Heart Beat also, boy that could be quite confusing when listening to Dark Side of the Moon. #-o
Well so I ordered three, one for the Computer System, now I know why its so slow and one for the HT System should really make those Colors pop and one the for Listening Center, I always thought it was the pre amp Tubes go figure. :roll:
You could have better spent that money on hospital-grade outlets and plugs.