free sharing platform for bigger audio, e.g. FLAC files ?

3 minute wonder
uem

free sharing platform for bigger audio, e.g. FLAC files ?

Post by uem » 13 Aug 2018 11:32

Is there a way to UP-load (High quality, such as FLAC) audio files / tracks to an open platform, similar to YouTube for videos ?

Of course one could pack any audio file into a YouTube video of some sorts; with loss of quality I’m afraid. But maybe there is already a better method available.

I’m thinking of a way to share some of our historic Shellac / 78 RPM music on such a platform.

There are of course the usual archival platforms, but they are not open for free up or down load.

Copy right concerns etc. need to be respected – but with some of the older 78’s this may not be too big a worry….(I hope :oops: )

Thanks for your information & links to such platforms

Regards

Urs

Siskan

Re: free sharing platform for bigger audio, e.g. FLAC file

Post by Siskan » 14 Aug 2018 01:23

If I'm not mistaken Google Cloud and probably other cloud services lets you listen to the songs you share without having to download them. Though it may be that you get a compressed version when you listen online in order to preserve bandwidth. But the download should be the the original uncompressed file at least. Maybe an acceptable compromise?

Otherwise hosting your own website with sufficient space i also an option but may end up very costly.

uem

Post by uem » 14 Aug 2018 15:08

Siskan wrote:If I'm not mistaken Google Cloud and probably other cloud services lets you listen to the songs you share without having to download them. But the download should be the the original uncompressed file at least. Maybe an acceptable compromise?

Otherwise hosting your own website with sufficient space i also an option but may end up very costly.
Siskan,
Thanks - "Cloud" could be a way indeed ...my own Website I would rather not consider :(

Frankly, I was hoping something along “YouTube for HQ- audio only” does exist already.

Regards

Urs

Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by Coffee Phil » 16 Aug 2018 05:03

uem wrote:Is there a way to UP-load (High quality, such as FLAC) audio files / tracks to an open platform, similar to YouTube for videos ?

Of course one could pack any audio file into a YouTube video of some sorts; with loss of quality I’m afraid. But maybe there is already a better method available.

I’m thinking of a way to share some of our historic Shellac / 78 RPM music on such a platform.

There are of course the usual archival platforms, but they are not open for free up or down load.

Copy right concerns etc. need to be respected – but with some of the older 78’s this may not be too big a worry….(I hope :oops: )

Thanks for your information & links to such platforms

Regards

Urs

AudioFeline
Australia

Re: free sharing platform for bigger audio, e.g. FLAC files ?

Post by AudioFeline » 12 May 2019 07:55

The 78 rpm Collectors' Community hosts needle-drops by members:
https://www.78rpmcommunity.com/

bernard1
France

Post by bernard1 » 12 May 2019 09:39

What about archive.org ? It's free, and you can upload flac.

uem

Post by uem » 14 May 2019 15:59

Thanks, guys,

I'll be checking those links
And equally valuable for me: they have some good search facilities !

Regards

Urs
My current project is “Helvetica” music that has any relation to Switzerland; for this stuff, the above search is not so successful :(

dysmike
Germany

Post by dysmike » 15 May 2019 15:12

BMRR
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by BMRR » 26 Aug 2019 21:51

I post mine to YouTube. Considering the fidelity of most 78s, any loss in audio quality is minimal and probably not noticeable to the vast majority of listeners. YouTube uses high quality AAC compression which is much less lossy than MP3 compression.