Technics Direct Drive Appreciation Thread

turning japanese
vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Technics Direct Drive Appreciation Thread

Post by vinyl master » 01 Aug 2018 07:14

OK, guys...Having bought three direct drive Technics turntables within the last 12 months, I thought I would start a thread that celebrates these modern wonders (just as our friend Tinkaroo has done with the Duals!)...And it seems that with each passing day, these Techies are growing on me more and more! :D There is a reason why they are loved, used and sometimes abused so much! And while the rugged SL-1200 mk2, of course (and rightfully so) is the most iconic model of this brand, I would also like to champion many of the lesser-known mid-line and entry level models as well...

For example, I have this wonderful SL-D202, my first one and it sports an awesome original Ortofon Concorde STD cartridge that is perfect for hi-fi listening! Not the greatest Techie, but it's a semi-automatic that gets the job done very well!

Looks fantastic, too! :D

I also bought a one-owner SL-D2 locally and it has performed like a champion with an AT 4414S cartridge attached...

The latest purchase is an SL-D3 from a local flea market and is my next "project"!

It sports a Sanyo MG-29 cartridge, but I may just switch the AT to the D3, put the Sanyo on the D2 and trade the D2 to my friend, Chris, for some radio restoration work and/or a few wanted vintage radios from his collection...It's not the matter of the D2 being a bad table...Not at all (and FAR from it), but I'm at 31 turntables now and I have to be careful to get TOO crazy... :shock: Besides, because he deals mostly in much older equipment, a modern turntable may be just what he needs and would be a fun addition to his collection...He's done so much for me and I just want to return the favor somehow...

In any case, I know many of you also love your Technics turntables and have MUCH to say about the subject...Sure, the 1200's get a lot of respect, but there are many other models they produced that IMHO should get equal time...There are the 1300-1900 models, the SL-6 and SL-7 linears and models like the venerable SP10, SP15 and SP25! So, whether you guys have one of those...or say...an SL-Q3, SL-220, SL-3300, SL-QD33 or even an SL-D202, D2 or D3 like mine, I wanna hear from you guys about what makes your specific model (or models) so special!

Soooo, the bottom line is this...If you've got some Technics love to share, I wanna hear all about it!! =D>

Woodbrains
England

Re: Technics Direct Drive Appreciation Thread

Post by Woodbrains » 01 Aug 2018 10:16

Hello,

What is the SL QL1 linear tracker like, IYO. You mention two linear tables, but omitted this one. The reason I ask is; I am not yet currently a member of the Technics DD Tribe, because I bought the one I mentioned from ebag a couple of weeks ago and it has not arrived! If this table never materialises, is it worth tracking another example, or trying another model entirely. I have no linear tracker and fancied owning one example, just because!

Mike. ( Nearly a Technics DD owner)

Japi Roelofs
long player
long player
Netherlands

Post by Japi Roelofs » 01 Aug 2018 12:28

Glad you asked vinyl master :D

The first turntable I ever bought for myself was a used Technics SL-D2. So I have a bit of a soft spot for the brand I guess. Before that I had the ones my father passed on to me (Garrard SP25, Lenco L75) and various other gifts or 'finds'.

Many years later, I have bought, owned, sold, and repaired lots and lots of turntables, but none of them would replace my Technics SL-1600MK2.

Here's some of the features that make it great:

Fully automatic operation. Love the convenience: I press the button, walk over to my listening chair and sit down, then the music starts. At the end of the record an optical sensor triggers the auto-return, which is something I just couldn't live without.

Automatic record size detection. More convenience: the turntable knows what format is being played, this is done with infrared light and a sensor. The only downside is that it won't recognize anything on clear vinyl. Technics made a special template paper sheet to put on top of the rubber mat, so it is actually possible, but too much hassle for me.

Tonearm features. The tonearm movements are controlled by a separate motor. Whenever the arm lifter is in the 'up' position, the cartridge output signal is muted. Great for cleaning your stylus without having the harsh noise of the brush scraping dirt off of the diamond.
Another nifty feature (and one I have never found on any other turntable, except perhaps in a different form on the Dual CS 5000) is the platter speed / tonearm operation interaction. The arm will move up and towards the platter after you push the Start button. But if you put a record brush on the spinning vinyl right after you push the button, the tonearm will go up, but then wait until you're finished brushing the record, before moving towards the platter. Doumo Arigatou Japanese Robot!

Build quality. Heavy aluminium plinth with suspended sub chassis. Never had any trouble with resonance or feedback whatsoever. I can bang my fist on the closed dust cover while playing a record, and nothing will happen. Try that with a Rega :D

Family ties. It shares a great deal of parts with the SL-1200MK2 decks: same motor, platter, tonearm, stylus illuminator etc. So that means precise Quartz direct drive, electronic brake, adjustable VTA, and it can also take the KAB tonearm fluid damper (which I have).

Looks. Well that is very personal of course, but whenever someone asks me about my turntable and I tell them it's from 1979, I always see a glazed look in their eyes, I guess because it looks so 'modern' or something. IMO it is a great mix between the rugged, industrial SL-1200 look, and the more sleek and sophisticated Denon or JVC upper end decks. Of course I love a bit of wood and I'm fond of old Duals for that reason, but I don't miss it here.

Oh, and did I mention it sounds great?

Nigel Gomez
Trinidad & Tobago

Post by Nigel Gomez » 01 Aug 2018 13:19

I've always wanted a Technics SL 1800 mk 2 to replace my trusty Technics SL 210 in my secondary system.

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Post by cafe latte » 01 Aug 2018 13:59

Love Technics as everyone knows, apart my own sl1210mk2 and an sp10mk2 my Dad has a sl1600 and it sounds great IMO which is a bargain turntable.
Chris

beat_truck

Post by beat_truck » 01 Aug 2018 14:41

I have a small hoard of Technics 'tables. They are great machines.

SL 1300 mk1 Near mint but I haven't got around to using it yet. I may try to mod it to play 78s in the future. I need to hook it up and use it for a while first.

SL D2 Dirty, dust cover needs work, haven't used it yet either. It will be modded to play 78s.

SL 2000 Near mint, modded to play 78s, currently set up for use.

SL D202 Near mint, modded to play 78s, I will probably set it up for use in my bedroom system.

SL D303 Slightly cosmetically distressed, cue mechanism needs fixed. Modded to play 78s.

SL Q212 No dust cover, was part of a rack system that I got rid of the cabinet for. I probably used this one the most so far. Love the Quartz lock!

You might notice a pattern here with the 78 mods. I just like the ability to play all common types of records, especially when it is a super easy mod and only costs a couple dollars in parts.

Nigel Gomez
Trinidad & Tobago

Post by Nigel Gomez » 01 Aug 2018 16:50

cafe latte wrote:Love Technics as everyone knows, apart my own sl1210mk2 and an sp10mk2 my Dad has a sl1600 and it sounds great IMO which is a bargain turntable.
Chris
SL 1600 MK 2 or MK 1?

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 01 Aug 2018 17:37

beat_truck wrote:I have a small hoard of Technics 'tables. They are great machines.

SL 1300 mk1 Near mint but I haven't got around to using it yet. I may try to mod it to play 78s in the future. I need to hook it up and use it for a while first.

SL D2 Dirty, dust cover needs work, haven't used it yet either. It will be modded to play 78s.

SL 2000 Near mint, modded to play 78s, currently set up for use.

SL D202 Near mint, modded to play 78s, I will probably set it up for use in my bedroom system.

SL D303 Slightly cosmetically distressed, cue mechanism needs fixed. Modded to play 78s.

SL Q212 No dust cover, was part of a rack system that I got rid of the cabinet for. I probably used this one the most so far. Love the Quartz lock!

You might notice a pattern here with the 78 mods. I just like the ability to play all common types of records, especially when it is a super easy mod and only costs a couple dollars in parts.
Awesome, beat_truck! 8) I may consider one of those mods myself here down the line!

Radiotvphononut has done something similar himself with an SL-D1...

beat_truck

Post by beat_truck » 01 Aug 2018 17:54

vinyl master wrote: Awesome, beat_truck! 8) I may consider one of those mods myself here down the line!

Radiotvphononut has done something similar himself with an SL-D1...

If you have even the most basic soldering skills, your D2, D3, and D202 will be extremely easy to do. The procedure for the D2 and D3 is exactly the same as the D1 in the video.

On mine, I actually mounted the switches underneath the platter, so you just lift the mat and reach through the holes in the platter to access them. The 'tables appear completely unmodified from the outside. :wink:

BTW, I like Radiotvphononut's and Shango066's videos, too.

spensar
Canada

Post by spensar » 01 Aug 2018 20:06

A worthy candidate for a thread VM. I have ended up accumulating a few as they are tanks that just keep working. They were are all pretty dirty to downright grungy but after cleaning them up they run at rock solid speeds with no fuss or muss - very impressive. Right now I have a SL-1600 MK1, SL-D2 and a SL-QX200 for p-mounts.

Other than cleaning a drop of lube, the only "fix" I did was for the SL-1600 cueing, which was very easy and just needed some grease replacement. The SL-D2 was particularly nasty when I got it and I could not believe it just fired up, lit up and ran at rock solid speeds as is. Just very impressed with these DDs.

Chiltern
long player
long player
England

Post by Chiltern » 01 Aug 2018 23:32

I bought my 1st Technics in 1979, and I've had many since. Still have 11 direct drive machines, some dating from the '70's.
2 SL-Q2, a real bargain model, quartz direct drive, alloy cast plinth, auto return
1 Modified SL-Q33, an ebay purchase as a broken deck and nearly scrapped, resurrected as a manual with a Rega arm
1 SL 1610, MKI, fully auto
1 SL-120, fitted with an SME 3009
2 SL-150, both with SME 3009
2 SL 1210 MK2
2 SP 15.

All great machines, good engineering quality and have stood the test of time. I have many other decks, belt and idler drives but it's good to be able to revert to the instant speed and silent operation of a Technics.

Alan

justjed0001
United States of America

Post by justjed0001 » 01 Aug 2018 23:47

SL-1800. I don't care that it's a manual deck. I don't even care that it's servo-controlled instead of quartz-locked. I have a 2M Blue on one head-shell, and a Shure/Realistic R47XT with a hyperelliptical stylus on another. I can swap and re-balance in less than 5 minutes, depending on what I want to listen to on a given day. And they both sound really good. Makes my old belt-drive Pioneer seem almost quaint in comparison. Color me a fan...

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Post by cafe latte » 01 Aug 2018 23:52

Nigel Gomez wrote:
cafe latte wrote:Love Technics as everyone knows, apart my own sl1210mk2 and an sp10mk2 my Dad has a sl1600 and it sounds great IMO which is a bargain turntable.
Chris
SL 1600 MK 2 or MK 1?
Dad's is mk1 still sounds great.
Chris

Nigel Gomez
Trinidad & Tobago

Post by Nigel Gomez » 02 Aug 2018 01:51

cafe latte wrote:
Nigel Gomez wrote:
Chris
SL 1600 MK 2 or MK 1?
Dad's is mk1 still sounds great.
Chris
The SL 1800 MK 2 is rare but I prefer the simplicity of a manual turntable.

Tonybro
long player
long player
Great Britain

Post by Tonybro » 02 Aug 2018 15:17

Here you go, VM, you've seen 'Blooey' before but had to remind you...

I bought a real nasty 1200MkII for £180 cash - abused and a bit of a lost cause. Spent a bit on it but with the new colour and all mods, still stands me less than £600 without cartridge...

I also picked up a SL-1800MkI (Servo, not Quartz lock) for £80 with no dust cover. Cleaned it and it works fine. My son uses it now.

SL1200 MkII Before
SL1200Internals.jpg
Before, without platter
(55.68 KiB) Downloaded 697 times
SL1200 MkII sometime after ;-)
Blooey-Complete.jpg
Completed!
(42.57 KiB) Downloaded 701 times
It can be done...