Pioneer PL 560 Tonearm Return To Post

the final frontier
r.armoneit
United States of America

Pioneer PL 560 Tonearm Return To Post

Post by r.armoneit » 24 Jun 2018 17:56

Hi
I have a PL 560 that the tonearm stutters to the resting post but stops short of the cradle and turns off! The closest SM on VE is the PL 570 to compare! On plate C there is a cushion(PEC-035)shaped like a triangle to push against a pin to control the tonearm to post duties. I guess that the material is decomposed or worn out. Anyone one know the correct type of foam(?) to replace?
Thanks
Bob

RTM

Re: Pioneer PL 560 Tonearm Return To Post

Post by RTM » 24 Jun 2018 18:24

You'll probably have to experiment on your own. I had the same problem with some noise canceling foam O rings on an RT- series RTR. I made my own from foam from an old Radar Detector box. Check the auction sites. There are various kinds of Sorbothane products that might perform better than the old ones. I've uploaded the Service Manual, but I can't presently see it on the PL-560 page. It might take a bit of time to register, but it's been uploaded. Experimentation will be essential! Good luck and keep us posted!

r.armoneit
United States of America

Post by r.armoneit » 24 Jun 2018 18:34

RTM,
I will be checking the PL 560 page for your uploaded SM! Iv'e seen a video on Youtube on a PL530 that is similar to the 560 with the same issue!
Thanks for responding and your contribution,
Bob

Landolaman1
Great Britain

Post by Landolaman1 » 24 Jun 2018 20:02

r.armoneit wrote:Hi
I have a PL 560 that the tonearm stutters to the resting post but stops short of the cradle and turns off! The closest SM on VE is the PL 570 to compare! On plate C there is a cushion(PEC-035)shaped like a triangle to push against a pin to control the tonearm to post duties. I guess that the material is decomposed or worn out. Anyone one know the correct type of foam(?) to replace?
Thanks
Bob
Hi, not sure if i'm understanding your problem fully but do you mean the tonearm does not return to the rest after the auto return has activated but stops short? If that is the case then this can be adjusted. If you see the black rubber cap to the left of the tonearm, lift this off with a small screwdriver and down below is the adjuster to move the tonearm rest position. You will need to move,slowly with the power off, the tonearm in toward the centre while looking down the hole, torch is handy here, until a nylon screw becomes visible. This is very sensitive so proceed slowly and adjust, think it's anti clockwise, the screw to move the tonearm toward the rest. It takes a little bit of trial and error to get it perfect.
Hope that helps, Regards, Neil.

r.armoneit
United States of America

Post by r.armoneit » 24 Jun 2018 21:08

Hi Neal,
The fix you are referring to is the Stylus decent-positioning screw for the lead-in grove to start the record! This may also work to set the return of tonearm to it's resting post! I shall give it a try!
Thanks for your input,
Bob

musicmn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by musicmn » 25 Jun 2018 00:33

r.armoneit wrote:Hi
Thanks
Bob
Hi, if this turntable uses a small piece of foam to help move the tonearm back to the rest stand then most likely the foam has fallen apart from age. I have seen this on many pioneer turntables over the yrs. I use window and door seal foam, the 3/16" thick with adhesive on one side works best. Clean the area where the foam is placed with alcohol to remove all old foam and goo. Then cut a piece of foam and stick it on the lever. Once the SM for the pl560 is uploaded to this site I can get a better view of this turntables mechanism to see if foam is used and where it goes. The stuttering of the tonearm as it returns to the rest stand is usually a sign of dried up grease in the mechanism. The main cam wheel has a groove on the underside that a pin from the mechanism rides in. Once the old grease has dried up it can cause stuttering of the tonearm. I hope this helps and I will check back in couple of days to have a look at the PL560 SM.

r.armoneit
United States of America

Post by r.armoneit » 25 Jun 2018 03:56

Hi musicmn,
I am also waiting for the upload for the PL 560! If it's anything close to the PL 570 the foam looks to be cut on an angle.The old grease would seem to be the culprit for everything else. This is my first attempt on a Pioneer TT,so I'm proceeding with caution!all other functions are working as they should. I'll have a better opinion once I get into the unit.
Thanks for the response,
Bob

musicmn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by musicmn » 26 Jun 2018 01:13

Hi Bob, after looking at the service manual for this turntable it does appear that a small piece of foam is used to help the tonearm return all the way to the rest stand. Check out page 15, (7.4 sub panel) Rotor Assembly PXA 335, PXA 406. The item you want is just called a "LEVER" and typical of pioneer no sign of any foam on this lever. But believe me it is there and needs to be replace. This mechanism looks a lot like the one used in the Pioneer Pl45d and others. I have uploaded a couple of pictures from a PL45d I serviced some time back of this Lever showing the old foam and new foam applied. The top picture yellow arrow this is the lever the old foam is on. Middle picture red arrow showing old foam and rotor assembly disassembled so it can be cleaned and lightly lubricated. Bottom picture red arrow shows new 3/16" foam with adhesive on one side. The area where the new foam goes was cleaned with alcohol to remove all old gunk then the new foam was applied. The stuttering of the tonearm during return is most likely being caused by the linkage lever between the rotor assembly and the cam wheel being dry of any lubricants. The cam wheel on this model is mounted to a small timing motor. Make sure you disassemble the linkage lever and don't loose any of the Teflon washers. Then clean everything with alcohol even the Teflon washers and lubricate the pivot points lightly with a good grease like Super Lube. I hope this helps in some way.
Attachments
pioneer pl45 d.JPG
(975.88 KiB) Downloaded 328 times
Pioneer PL45D 021 (Copy).JPG
(790.64 KiB) Downloaded 304 times
Pioneer PL45D 024 (Copy).JPG
(895.76 KiB) Downloaded 293 times

r.armoneit
United States of America

Post by r.armoneit » 26 Jun 2018 02:46

Hi Musicmn,
Thanks for the pics,they sure do help. I also downloaded the SM today. I just learned how to remove the platter(my first Pioneer project). I'm reluctant to remove the bottom panel to access the unit because I don't know what to expect! It looks like 4 rubber cushions and about six small wood screws! I would appreciate your input to get me started! I have a couple of Dual TT that I have done a decent repair job.I feel that I can repair this!
Best Regards,
Bob

daweens

Post by daweens » 21 Mar 2019 06:48

Hi guys...I have the PL560 with the tone arm coming up short of the rest too. I have read these posts and tried to remove the bottom panel by taking off the 6 screws, but it still resisted so I stopped. I would really appreciate it if anyone can tell me what else needs to be done to release the bottom panel. I simply want to replace the foam pad to fix the tonearm return. Thanks a million! Dan

daweens

Post by daweens » 23 Mar 2019 18:34

Can anyone tell me how to get to the lever that needs the foam replaced? I still feel resistance on the bottom plate after taking the 6 screws out that are obvious. Please...thank you!! Dan

musicmn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by musicmn » 24 Mar 2019 16:11

Hi daweeens, I don't believe you can access the mechanism from the bottom. From what I see in the service manual you need to remove the platter, then the cover under the platter. That will give you access to most of the mechanism. It also looks like you have to remove the tonearm base from the plinth. A lot of these style Pioneers have a plug for the tonearm wires so no need to de-solder anything. Once you have the tonearm base off of the plinth gently flip it over and the lever that the foam goes on should be accessible. Just make sure that any wires are free to move so the the tonearm base can be removed. Check the service manual that's available in the library on this site if you have any concerns before you do anything. It seems to have a lot of good pics showing the mechanism once the black cover under the platter is removed. I hope this helps.

daweens

Post by daweens » 26 Mar 2019 00:06

Hi musicmn, and thank you for your reply. I suppose the whole platform that the tonearm sits on should lift up after the visible cosmetic screws are removed. This sounds like a possible easier approach, if all wire connections are free. I will try this approach carefully, an post again how it goes. I thank you again as I would not try this without some guidance.

Wvsteveo

Post by Wvsteveo » 17 May 2019 19:55

I'm a novice PL-560 owner of about 2 months...I believe the advice on not taking the bottom off is correct. You access everything from the top. I have had it (the tonearm base and the cover under the platter off twice)...once to fix your issue with the replacement pad, and just recently to fix the mute lever. It is not too difficult. Make sure that you tuck all the wire bundles back to their original locations...had missed one and it stopped the tonearm from moving....