Best Stylus Cleaning Options

the thin end of the wedge
cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Re: Best Stylus Cleaning Options

Post by cafe latte » 20 Jun 2018 00:56

Bobber05 wrote:Yes but....Isopropyl alcohol is a powerful solvent but it needs proper concentration and time to dissolve bonds of the cyanoacrylates used
for bonded stylus tips. Nude mounted diamonds are less prone to this worry. Thus a diluted isopropyl stylus cleaner such as the MoFi LP9 is safe for every day use it you don't glob it on, a very effective cleaner which presents very low risk if applied properly. Less is more,baby.
No not true at all and the glue used is epoxy which is unaffected by alcohol. A member here did an experiment ages ago and put a bunch of old stylus submerged in a jar of isopropyl alcohol for weeks. Guess what? No affect..
Chris

Dr_Wu
United States of America

Post by Dr_Wu » 21 Jun 2018 02:26

I'm very happy with a combination of Nagaoka's Hi Clean fluid(about $8 on the bay) and Magic Eraser.

Sleepwalker65
broken record

Post by Sleepwalker65 » 21 Jun 2018 03:52

Quick update: the SC2 instructions say to apply three drops of the SC2 fluid, directly to the SC2 brush. My 30+ year old bottle of SC2 fluid hasn’t congealed like someone else reported; it’s still about 1/4 to 1/3 full. If only we had a chemist in this group, we could get a sample analyzed to figure out what the folks at DiscWasher put in it.

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Post by cafe latte » 21 Jun 2018 07:01

Guys I have been using isopropyl alcohol on a stylus brush to clean stylus for 30 years and over that time I have had all sorts of carts and alcohol removes the most stubborn crud too and most importantly never had any issues. I literally dampen the stylus brush with alcohol which is all is needed, a few swipes and it is clean. I cant understand why people search out bottles of potion with unknown contents and trust them above something we do know what it is ie isopropyl alcohol. We know what glue is used to attach stylus tips ie epoxy, and we know it is unaffected by alcohol so we have something we know to be safe for the job. Then there are these mystery stylus cleaning fluids, what is in them? are there oils that could contaminate the record or detergents that may be corrosive?
Much rather use something known..
Chris

Sleepwalker65
broken record

Post by Sleepwalker65 » 21 Jun 2018 10:28

cafe latte wrote:Guys I have been using isopropyl alcohol on a stylus brush to clean stylus for 30 years and over that time I have had all sorts of carts and alcohol removes the most stubborn crud too and most importantly never had any issues. ......snip, snip....... I cant understand why people search out bottles of potion with unknown contents and trust them above something we do know what it is ie isopropyl alcohol........ snip, snip........
Chris
What is the percentage concentration of isopropyl, is the dilutant water, and are there any denaturing additives? These are the worries with commercially available, off-the-shelf alcohol products. A better approach is to have a compounding pharmacy prepare a few millilitres of neutral buffered pure food grade ethanol. Water itself is also a contaminant, even if distilled and de-ionized, it lowers the volatility of the solution, prolonging evaporation time to the point not of potentially remaining on the stylus when a record is played; then will damage the record and create a gummy mess on the stylus tip and cantilever. This ought to cost no more than a few dollars, even for a batch of 10mL.

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Post by cafe latte » 21 Jun 2018 11:01

Sleepwalker65 wrote:
cafe latte wrote:Guys I have been using isopropyl alcohol on a stylus brush to clean stylus for 30 years and over that time I have had all sorts of carts and alcohol removes the most stubborn crud too and most importantly never had any issues. ......snip, snip....... I cant understand why people search out bottles of potion with unknown contents and trust them above something we do know what it is ie isopropyl alcohol........ snip, snip........
Chris
What is the percentage concentration of isopropyl, is the dilutant water, and are there any denaturing additives? These are the worries with commercially available, off-the-shelf alcohol products. A better approach is to have a compounding pharmacy prepare a few millilitres of neutral buffered pure food grade ethanol. Water itself is also a contaminant, even if distilled and de-ionized, it lowers the volatility of the solution, prolonging evaporation time to the point not of potentially remaining on the stylus when a record is played; then will damage the record and create a gummy mess on the stylus tip and cantilever. This ought to cost no more than a few dollars, even for a batch of 10mL.
The isopropyl alcohol I buy is 99.9% pure so sure that is not an issue..
Chris

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America
Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

Post by JDJX » 21 Jun 2018 20:44

I wonder if epoxy is still used... at lest for bonded stili where the diamond and shank is shaped and polished as one unit.
Consider the newer, high tech and incredibly strong and durable adhesives... such as used in modern dentistry.

Brant W

Post by Brant W » 21 Jun 2018 21:59

Well, I decided to ask Audio Technica my question about Isopropyl since my stylus is the AT440mlb.
I got this kind reply a few minutes ago...

...My recommendation in these cases would be to use specific stylus cleaning fluid to avoid any potential issues which can occur. We have a specific fluid called the AT607 which you can purchase for around £7.

Always brush from the back to the front! Start behind the stylus and pull forward delicately. Try to only touch the stylus and not the cantilever or suspension."

Well damn...who would've thought they'd recommend their own product?
I should've saw this coming :)
I'd love to know what's exactly in this magical elixir along with all the other pricey solutions.

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Post by cafe latte » 22 Jun 2018 08:15

Brant W wrote:Well, I decided to ask Audio Technica my question about Isopropyl since my stylus is the AT440mlb.

...My recommendation in these cases would be to use specific stylus cleaning fluid to avoid any potential issues which can occur. We have a specific fluid called the AT607 which you can purchase for around £7.

Always brush from the back to the front! Start behind the stylus and pull forward delicately. Try to only touch the stylus and not the cantilever or suspension."

I'd love to know what's exactly in this magical elixir along with all the other pricey solutions.
They are probably trying to sell their own fluid, isopropyl alcohol wont hurt a stylus.
Chris

Sleepwalker65
broken record

Post by Sleepwalker65 » 22 Jun 2018 09:51

cafe latte wrote:
Brant W wrote:Well, I decided to ask Audio Technica my question about Isopropyl since my stylus is the AT440mlb.

They are probably trying to sell their own fluid, isopropyl alcohol wont hurt a stylus.
Chris
More about them trying to cover their butts. There are too many alcohol products available commercially, some with additives that leave a residue that can contaminate or permanently damage the records being played. The main concern is the denaturant additive. It probably is a petroleum distillate.

goatbreath
long player
long player

Post by goatbreath » 22 Jun 2018 10:30

I've used the Audio Technica stuff for about 18 years with no problems..
I had some Bib Stuff before that and the Tip came off a Shure M75 EJ stylus..
The Bib stuff was ancient when I got it though..
I don't imagine age made a difference..
It was sealed and everything..
The Audio Technica stuff seems to be fine..
I am on my second bottle..
Only because some git spilled the first one.. :D

chiz
Great Britain

Post by chiz » 22 Jun 2018 11:45

I've got a bottle of the Audio Technica stuff.

It smells like it's alcohol based to me.

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Post by cafe latte » 22 Jun 2018 12:37

Buy 99.8 or 9 % isopropyl and no issues ie lab grade.
Chris

Brant W

Post by Brant W » 22 Jun 2018 14:12

cafe latte wrote:Buy 99.8 or 9 % isopropyl and no issues ie lab grade.
Chris
Since I already have some 99.8 % Isopropyl and the AT tech guy wasn't that adamant about not using it...I think I will instead of shelling out $25.00Ca for what could be the same thing.
I'll just use it sparingly.

BTW~"...should've saw it coming..."
I wish there was a longer window for editing. :oops:

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Post by cafe latte » 22 Jun 2018 23:56

Yes that is a lot of the point with any stylus cleaner, ie sparingly, it is not like we are soaking the stylus in alcohol like was done for a thread here on VE. A slightly alcohol damp stylus brush once in a while is not going to hurt anything.
Chris