Tonearm Compatability Help (Nagoka MP-110)

snap, crackle and pop
ArcaneAardvark

Tonearm Compatability Help (Nagoka MP-110)

Post by ArcaneAardvark » 21 May 2018 11:13

Hello, I'm looking into getting a new turntable to use with a Nogoka MP-110 cartridge. I'm looking for the best sounding turntable I can get for $250 or less, new or old. I've been researching tonearm/cartridge Compatability, but I find it a bit confusing. Any turntable suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks. Here's the specs for the cartridge:

ArcaneAardvark

Re: Tonearm Compatability Help (Nagoka MP-110)

Post by ArcaneAardvark » 21 May 2018 14:26

A user recently recommended the U-Turn turntable over the current offerings from Audio-Technica and Denon in the same range. Does anyone know if this cartridge would work well with the U-Turn?

audiopile
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by audiopile » 21 May 2018 16:15

I think this would not be a problem with the U-turn orbit - the main issue with the BOTL offerings from most of their competition is pretty ringy resonant base/plinth construction. The U-turn slab is at least somewhat less likely to sing along with the music. It also falls into the do less-do what you do well category.Somewhat to their surprise - the local record store is getting very few returned when compared to the AT and (choke ,gasp,gag....) Crosley's they have been selling for awhile.However - anybody have any experience with the rebadged Project tt Crosley sells ? BOTL Rega might be worth a look too ?

ArcaneAardvark

Post by ArcaneAardvark » 21 May 2018 23:06

audiopile wrote:I think this would not be a problem with the U-turn orbit - the main issue with the BOTL offerings from most of their competition is pretty ringy resonant base/plinth construction. The U-turn slab is at least somewhat less likely to sing along with the music. It also falls into the do less-do what you do well category.Somewhat to their surprise - the local record store is getting very few returned when compared to the AT and (choke ,gasp,gag....) Crosley's they have been selling for awhile.However - anybody have any experience with the rebadged Project tt Crosley sells ? BOTL Rega might be worth a look too ?
The U-Turn seems like a decent choice. I like the Rega's, and I've noticed they are highly regarded on this forum, but they are a bit out of my price range. I'm starting to like this vintage Sony 5520 I've been looking at https://lancaster.craigslist.org/ele/d/ ... 55748.html It has a nice wood plinth, and I'm thinking it will probably outperform anything modern I can get for around the same price. If I get it, I will probably run the Audio-Technica cartridge it comes with for a while. Would the MP-110 be compatible with this one?

audiopile
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by audiopile » 22 May 2018 01:56

Yah - should work OK - and a store warranty -even a pretty short 2 week warranty -is way better than the typical CL -you bought it -good luck CL seller.If this is a audio store -see if they'll run a strobe disc for you to check the speed.

ArcaneAardvark

Post by ArcaneAardvark » 22 May 2018 03:25

I think I will probably go over there and buy it on Thursday or Friday. Yep, it is a store. I will ask them about the strobe disc, I never thought of that.

ArcaneAardvark

Post by ArcaneAardvark » 22 May 2018 10:36

By the way, if anyone's interested I became interested in this cartridge because of this series of videos. https://youtu.be/9U5ANqGccmk