spin clean record washer mk11

how clean is your house
vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Re: spin clean record washer mk11

Post by vinyl master » 08 May 2018 15:38

Johnny's right...Blot drying the record first, and then letting the record completely dry on the rack helps...You don't want any moisture on the records before you put them into new sleeves (Like I said, I use the polylined ones...MFSL sleeves or similar others could also be used...)...You want to discourage any mold from forming, too, inside the record sleeves...Another thing I do...When I'm done using all the cloths, which I place in a separate bag, I wash them all at once and separately from ANY other articles of clothing...You do NOT want any stray lint or fibers to get on them and somehow get transferred to the records...When drying the cloths, I dry them altogether in the dryer, separate from any other articles of clothing...Don't use any dryer sheets, either...When the cloths get all fuzzy and staticky, they actually work better at removing dust, picking it up like a magnet! I try to follow a routine when I use them...It makes things much easier...Plus, I keep all the supplies I need handy for when I do my cleaning sessions...If I were you, I would work on setting up a dedicated cleaning station somewhere with the cloths, sleeves, drying rack, etc. all in one place...Best to be prepared when the cleaning binge bug strikes! :D

JoeE SP9
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by JoeE SP9 » 08 May 2018 15:50

No, I mean to let them dry in the dishwasher, on the the rack.[/quote]

I bought a stand alone dish drying rack.

Jackangus

Post by Jackangus » 08 May 2018 20:39

vinyl master wrote:Johnny's right...Blot drying the record first, and then letting the record completely dry on the rack helps...You don't want any moisture on the records before you put them into new sleeves (Like I said, I use the polylined ones...MFSL sleeves or similar others could also be used...)...You want to discourage any mold from forming, too, inside the record sleeves...Another thing I do...When I'm done using all the cloths, which I place in a separate bag, I wash them all at once and separately from ANY other articles of clothing...You do NOT want any stray lint or fibers to get on them and somehow get transferred to the records...When drying the cloths, I dry them altogether in the dryer, separate from any other articles of clothing...Don't use any dryer sheets, either...When the cloths get all fuzzy and staticky, they actually work better at removing dust, picking it up like a magnet! I try to follow a routine when I use them...It makes things much easier...Plus, I keep all the supplies I need handy for when I do my cleaning sessions...If I were you, I would work on setting up a dedicated cleaning station somewhere with the cloths, sleeves, drying rack, etc. all in one place...Best to be prepared when the cleaning binge bug strikes! :D
I was not sure how the cloths would go in the dryer so I have let them dry on the clothes horse. So it's ok to put them into the dryer?

After drying the records with the cloths I let them dry in the rack for at least 45 minutes. Is that enough time?

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 08 May 2018 21:24

If you don't have any other way of drying them (say with an electric or gas dryer), you could dry them some other way...Maybe it depends on how arid your climate is, how warm your house or the air is...I'd dry them inside rather than outside, only because various things can get stuck on the cloths blowing in the breeze...I've put mine into the dryer with no problems...If you don't have one, you could always go to a local laundromat...I'm not sure how long it takes a record to dry where you live, but for me, I'll do one batch of 20-30 records...This also depends on how dirty or how clean the records are to begin with...Sometimes, a preliminary wash is in order, especially if you have a lot of thrift store or flea market records...I change out the water often, because I'm OCD like that...Use ONLY distilled water, too, or the closest you can get to that...There are many places you can get distilled water, at least here in the States...You could always buy some online, too, if it is a harder-to-come-by commodity where you live...Usually, I'll do one batch of records a day and give them a day to dry before sleeving them...If you wanted to do more than one batch (and have the time), I might suggest getting a second wooden drying rack and have some extra bottles or jugs of distilled water around...I would change the water after about 20-30 records, maybe less depending on how dirty the water gets...The flocculant in the Spin-Clean fluid allows the dirt to become encapsulated in sink to the bottom of the basin...You can see the dirt collecting at the bottom, too...That's how I KNOW it's working! :D

And so far, it has done the trick for me...I never try to rush things and give each record a few good spins in either direction carefully...Given time, eventually all the records will get cleaned...At least, that's what I tell myself! 8-[

JoeE SP9
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by JoeE SP9 » 09 May 2018 00:04

Rite Aids stock distilled water in the one gallon size.

Jackangus

Post by Jackangus » 09 May 2018 07:01

Why only distilled water?

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 09 May 2018 16:19

Distilled water is free of any contaminants and minerals that may leave an unwanted residue on your records...There are many things like humidifiers, for example, that require only distilled water, too...Some people have used tap water per the Gem Dandy method, but since tap water can vary and depending on where you live, can be treated with chemicals, I prefer to use only distilled water in my Spin-Clean...My thought is that if you're going to do a job, make sure it's done right!

Jackangus

Post by Jackangus » 11 May 2018 00:40

My rollers can be a pain when cleaning a record. Rollers want to come out of their grooves on certain records. Is this normal?
I have also found some light scratching on a few of my brand new 180gr records after using the spin cleaner.
Does not effect the sound, but still not ideal. I think I will only use this spin cleaner on second hand records.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 11 May 2018 05:41

Make sure you watch this...A general introduction...

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 11 May 2018 05:42

You CAN see and hear the difference! :D

Jackangus

Post by Jackangus » 11 May 2018 09:48

vinyl master wrote:Make sure you watch this...A general introduction...

I watched this video before I started. I will put my finger over the roller next time which should stop the roller from jumping up.

zwhita

Post by zwhita » 21 May 2018 16:15

Based on this post, I ordered this piece of overpriced junk. Worthless.

I followed all the directions to a Tee. I used distilled water. Made sure the brushes were snug enough. Even bought some of those Eurow towels and dried the records with them. Let them air dry afterward. Everything. The records had almost the exact same amount of surface noise after using this product as before cleaning.

It might be useful for a wet-clean pass after a wood glue cleaning of both sides. But my lord, $80 for about $2 worth of materials and it doesn't even clean 15% as well as wood glue. That's a 2000% profit for something that doesn't clean remotely deep enough to justify even 1/4 of its price. Made in America, indeed.

zwhita

Post by zwhita » 22 May 2018 01:18

Well hrm.... I've been reading up on numerous vinyl forum posts around the web on "Spin Clean made my record noisier", although it really stayed the same in my case, and they are saying in addition to the given instructions in the manual, that you need to:
1) Use less of the washer fluid or create your own formula
2) Clean the brushes before each use
3) Do a rinse with your distilled water somehow after removing the record from the tub

But also, some people reported that just playing the record a few times after a cleaning cleared the pops and clicks right up. And so far this seems to be the case for me as well.

So I should be pleased, but all I can think is, "Why does this hobby have to be so frustrating and difficult?!?!?!?"

billshurv
long player
long player

Post by billshurv » 22 May 2018 01:51

yeah cleaning can increase stylus friction which increases noise. Was measured back in the 70s in an AES paper. Also the reduction in noise after a few plays. This is why, unless there are clearly contaminants in the groove I just brush and play.

As for frustrating and difficult, that is what a hobby is supposed to be! In this case you have a format that was obsolete in 1983. It is laughably flawed, but can be huge fun and gives you something to fill your spare time with.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 22 May 2018 03:51

zwhita wrote: So I should be pleased, but all I can think is, "Why does this hobby have to be so frustrating and difficult?!?!?!?"
And all I can think of is this...

Why do audiophiles have to be so darn impatient and grumpy???! :? :lol:

Nothing against you, zwhita, but it seems like in general, people are just more impatient about many things nowadays...Everyone wants that instant gratification, rather than work for a solution...Remember, guys, you are using an outdated mode of technology that is NOT as easy as just downloading a few tracks and pressing a couple buttons...There are layers to the vinyl hobby that keep it interesting! If it was EASY now, why would people have to keep changing out their cartridges to try to get that perfect sound that has so far eluded them??? :-k

I try to keep it all in fun...Yeah, the hobby can be a PITA once in a while, but it keeps me on my toes...If I want GREAT SOUND (which is the goal), I have to accept a few compromises and some trial-and-error to get to that point...Trust me, though, all the pain is worth the effort in the end when you find the "sweet spot" and everything is in alignment! =D>

Goldmine Magazine has advertised these Spin-Cleans for years in their publication...If there wasn't any merit to them, I doubt a prestigious publication like that would give the product any space to advertise (nor the time of day), but then again, stereo magazines have long promoted other questionable products...Still, another thing to keep in my mind is this...What types of records are you playing...New or used? What is the condition of said records? Sometimes, a good cleaning actually does reveal more noise because more dust was removed from the record...There are also times when a certain cartridge can mask different sounds on a record...Play that same record with a more revealing cartridge and you will hear things you hadn't heard with the former cartridge...Of course, sometimes, what you're hearing may not be what you're expecting to hear or may be unwanted sounds...A good conical cartridge will help with those thrift store finds, whereas I wouldn't use an elliptical unless you had records of VG+ or NM quality...and sometimes, looks can be deceiving, even with those things...Usually, the better pressings and better record companies will put out decent product...Most people will have no problem with anything put out by Quality Record Pressing (Chad Kassem)...I also trust labels like Light In The Attic, Sundazed, Norton, Blue Note, etc. Haven't gotten a dud yet from any of them! 8)

Patience is a virtue, people, and I doubt anyone is a real audiophile unless their patience has been tried at least a time or two! #-o :lol:

I know mine has! :?

And yet, I can't think of more satisfying hobby at the same time...How does THAT work??? :-k