Why Is Modern Pop Music So Terrible?

name that tune
mgl99

Re: Why Is Modern Pop Music So Terrible?

Post by mgl99 » 22 Apr 2018 08:12

Just watch the youtube clip of Mylie Cyrus at the 2015 VMA awards show and you'll see very clearly what is wrong with millenials and their so-called "music". If you need more convincing, listen to some hip-hop gangster rap. Paul Watson has a few videos on youtube where he explains the problem and the fact that there is currently one duo of "song writers" that write "songs" for almost all of the current pop music "artists" like Mylie Cyrus and Beyoncé etc etc etc. It all sounds the same because millenials have become musically dumbed down. Most of them wouldn't know a vinyl record if you hit them on the head with it.

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 23 Apr 2018 12:09

Came across this interesting video article:

Watch How a Pop Hit Is Made https://nyti.ms/2F5owIL

Fred and terrible is relative, but pretty much agrees with the OP critique video......:-k Chopping wood... :lol:

mgl99

Post by mgl99 » 23 Apr 2018 13:36

Yeah, well like, I couldn't like watch the whole video you like recommended, because like it was like making me sick. Because like when they like talk and stuff, they like to say like about like every other word, so like to me it like sounds ignorant and like makes me like want to like vomit, just like their music that they like like, if you like know what I like mean.

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 23 Apr 2018 14:38

mgl99 wrote:Yeah, well like, I couldn't like watch the whole video you like recommended, because like it was like making me sick. Because like when they like talk and stuff, they like to say like about like every other word, so like to me it like sounds ignorant and like makes me like want to like vomit, just like their music that they like like, if you like know what I like mean.
Like, I don't know why this works for me, like, it's unexplainable...... :lol: :lol:

Continuing on the series from that failing Grey Lady:

https://www.nytimes.com/video/arts/musi ... f-you.html

Ed's mentioned on the "Future of Vinyl" topic and I've become a fan...... =D> =D>

"Well", "like" long ago, giving an oral presentation in front of my classmates, used them in conjunction several times, probably due to nervousness, first time, etc....... :oops: :oops:

Was advised / critiqued by my teacher, "we know you like" the (subject) and if you don't watch out you may fall in the "well"(s) you've dug....... :shock: :oops: :oops: #-o :lol: :lol:

Modern pop ? I'm getting sick of the vocal fry, auto-tune, millennial woop, processing, drum machines, etc..... and realizing that stripped down covers work better....... :-k :-k :-k

Happy popping to modern music...... :lol:

Fred

billshurv
long player
long player

Post by billshurv » 23 Apr 2018 16:07

You all sound just like Parents (possibly yours even) reacted back in the day when you started playing Led Zep, the who, Stones etc, or if you are younger punk. Teens seek out music to offend their parents.

So are some of you just showing your age? ;)

Note: I like prog rock so am no arbiter of taste :D

andybeau
long player
long player
England

Post by andybeau » 23 Apr 2018 16:10

billshurv wrote:You all sound just like Parents (possibly yours even) reacted back in the day when you started playing Led Zep, the who, Stones etc, or if you are younger punk. Teens seek out music to offend their parents.

=D>

zwhita

Post by zwhita » 24 Apr 2018 22:13

Wow, page 7 of "uphill both ways in the snow and we liked it!".

I'm reminded of the quote attributed to Frank Zappa, "Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible". Music fed to the public as product appears to have, over time, become more and more diluted(both in artistic merit and lasting cultural significance), instead of distilled(into more pure and simple forms). But isn't this what happens to anything consumed by the ever expanding masses? Expand your audience, get more with no musical experience or knowledge. Those who desire more will learn more and probably go to great lengths to find it. The rest who don't are still consumers and their numbers continue to grow. Consumers who increasingly want a personalized experience, but it must be easy and convenient. That sense of entitlement is an addictive prospect. Perhaps beneficial change is just slower to observe and detect amongst all the static.

Besides, everybody knows the best music is made from hard work and suffering. Digital recording techniques have relieved certain aspects of the production process to assembly line efficiency, so less of the former to some degree. Wouldn't you rather live in a world where there is at least less of the latter?

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 25 Apr 2018 17:31

fscl wrote:
vinyl master wrote:
fscl wrote:
One of our local female DJs used to start off her wee early morning show reading poetry..... :shock: I used to fall asleep to her voice and playlist.
Hey Fred...Who was the female DJ who read the poetry?
......snippage......
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alison_Steele

"The Nightbird"

R.I.P.

Fred what a voice..... :wink:
I think I need more airchecks of this woman...This is a good start, at least...

Beats Delilah, though! :lol:

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 25 Apr 2018 17:35

By the way, Fred...We had another one that reminds me of Miss Steele here in Detroit...A guy named Alan Almond and his "Pillow Talk" program...

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 25 Apr 2018 17:42

More from the man, a beautiful soul!

We need MORE DJ's like him!! PLEASE!! [-o<

And I'm making a wish right now and I know exactly what I'm wishing for! :wink:

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 28 Apr 2018 16:10

vinyl master wrote: We need MORE DJ's like him!! PLEASE!! [-o<

And I'm making a wish right now and I know exactly what I'm wishing for! :wink:
When in TX, always tuned into "Crash"........ =D>

https://www.rock101klol.com/photos/klol ... sh-collins

But modern music....... :-k, there's lots of good stuff out there, it's key to find the right curator for you..... :-k :-k :-k

This can be real people, algorithms, utoob, world streams, artist's sites, etc, etc, etc...... ](*,)

Happy searching....... :shock:

Fred

Issuesman666
Trinidad & Tobago

Post by Issuesman666 » 28 Apr 2018 21:07

billshurv wrote:You all sound just like Parents (possibly yours even) reacted back in the day when you started playing Led Zep, the who, Stones etc, or if you are younger punk. Teens seek out music to offend their parents.

Best post on this sorry excuse of a thread =D> .

There is a lot of good music to be found from all periods of history.Modern pop music is for the young people to identify with or relate to.... just like the people whining here did in their youth as did many generations before...

Enjoy what you like(Including whining about what you don't like).

I love prog rock too by the way.

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America
Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

Post by JDJX » 09 May 2018 20:06

fscl wrote:
vinyl master wrote:
fscl wrote:
One of our local female DJs used to start off her wee early morning show reading poetry..... :shock: I used to fall asleep to her voice and playlist.
Hey Fred...Who was the female DJ who read the poetry?
......snippage......
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alison_Steele

"The Nightbird"

R.I.P.

Fred what a voice..... :wink:
YES! Alison Steele....
.....on the then legendary progressive rock venue, WNEW FM ... 102.7.... out of NY City.
102.7 was set on all my Radios/tuners in that era.

I also loved Scoot Muni's "Things From England" segment.
This is where I first heard British groups like "Mott The Hoople", "Quuen" and "Amazing Blondel", etc :)

TudorTurtle
United States of America

Post by TudorTurtle » 10 May 2018 14:29

Speaking of WNEW, Didja know Dennis Elsas hosts an afternoon show on WFUV? Excellent music picks, lots of new stuff, and his voice is in great shape...hearing him is instant time travel.

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 10 May 2018 15:08

JDJX wrote: YES! Alison Steele....
.....on the then legendary progressive rock venue, WNEW FM ... 102.7.... out of NY City.
102.7 was set on all my Radios/tuners in that era.

I also loved Scoot Muni's "Things From England" segment.
This is where I first heard British groups like "Mott The Hoople", "Quuen" and "Amazing Blondel", etc :)
TudorTurtle wrote:Speaking of WNEW, Didja know Dennis Elsas hosts an afternoon show on WFUV? Excellent music picks, lots of new stuff, and his voice is in great shape...hearing him is instant time travel.
See Dennis pretty regularly taking calls during his show @ FUV and yes, time travel back and forth as a member and listener...... :lol: :lol:

Carmel Holt's show is 10AM-2PM just before Dennis' and does a mid-day request 1hr mix tape that goes up on Spotify afterwards. Great voice =D> =D> =D>

The modern take on "Things From England" is "UKNY" hosted by Kara Manning, just a 1 hr time slot late on Sun night but archived for listening at your convenience.

Good modern music is out there, it's the finding that has gotten harder...... :-k :-k :-k

Fred