the home of the turntable

Thorens TD165 bad plate

music box

Thorens TD165 bad plate

Postby cpunotfound » 13 Mar 2018 14:46

Hi, I just bought a cheap TD165. I already have a TD160 and I'm really happy with it.
I paid the TD165 only 80 euros as the soft aluminum plate is full of scratches, really, mine is orrible, like someone tried to sanding it or cleaning with steel wool... Some of the markins, too, are half erased.

Mechanically the turntable is sound, only the proprietary headshell is missing. So before buying a new headshell I'm looking for an aestetically acceptable solution for the plate.

Can someone please suggest how to finish or rebuild the plate? Or an integrated plinth/plate rebuild?

I can post some photos, but trust me, better not :-(
Thanks
Giuseppe
cpunotfound

Italy

Re: Thorens TD165 bad plate

Postby JDJX » 13 Mar 2018 17:53

Those plates are actually painted silver and they are not bare metal.

So, you could always fix any scratches and respray it silver with a good acrylic spray paint. ....then with an acrylic clear coat.

The "markings" will be gone of course but, do you really need them?

Personally, I'm very handy with that sort of thing but if you are not, you could take the plate to a local auto body shop for a a professional paint job :)
JDJX
long player
long player

Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

United States of America

Postby cpunotfound » 13 Mar 2018 21:37

Thanks. I was thinking it's an aluminium plate. I do a lot of diy, and painting aluminium normally is critical. I think a dedicated primer must be used to assure that the paint will not peel off shortly after you finish.
Thanks again
Giuseppe
cpunotfound

Italy

Postby lavallee » 15 Mar 2018 19:15

Can someone please suggest how to finish or rebuild the plate? Or an integrated plinth/plate rebuild?

I am in the same boat! I will be looking for a plate (or have my friend make one - he's a machinist) and will eventually replace the plinth, but I'm trying to get all the mechanical work done first. There are some for sale on eBay, although they are a little pricey:

Anybody know what a TD 165 Special is?
lavallee

United States of America

Return to Thorens