So what cassette decks have you had?

radio, tape, stands and accessories
Slavikcc
Canada

Re: So what cassette decks have you had?

Post by Slavikcc » 07 Dec 2017 23:22

I think my parents own the Hitachi D-33S, which was a step below the D-45S found on the HiFiEngine website. I distinctly remember that the deck contains VU meters per channel and it's an all-silver front with the rest of the chassis being wood grain. Oh wow, I remember playing with my cassettes on that deck and being memorized by the VU meters moving around...

Sterling1
United States of America

Post by Sterling1 » 02 Jan 2018 13:00

I have a 30 year old Sony TC-K950ES. It is regarded to be one of the best, if not the best, Sony Deck they ever produced. I still use this deck, which seems to work perfectly with one exception, new 90 and 120 minute tapes just don't work for some reason. Older Maxell UD-XL II tapes work very well. Typically, i use the deck to produce playlists to enjoy in my 2000 Camaro SS which has a factory cassette tape player. Although this deck is pretty much noise free with Dolby B, it does not sound as good as CD. So, with the exception of my use of the Sony deck to produce playlists for my Camaro's cassette player, I have no other need for the deck other than to occasionally use it for tapes purchased at the used vinyl store in my area. I also have a pair of Sony Digital Audio Tape Recorders, PCM-7010F's. These are now 26 years old but are still running great and their sound is unrivaled. I use them today to record music from the internet which is not downloadable. To do that I use a Creative Sound Blaster X-FI HD usb to optical S/PDIF converter to S/PDIF to IEC 958 converter.
Attachments
24641850610_4da97510b2_z.jpg
(116.69 KiB) Downloaded 245 times

Sterling1
United States of America

Post by Sterling1 » 19 Jan 2018 01:23

th[5].jpg
(10.07 KiB) Downloaded 200 times
Here's a pic I found of a Sony TC-K950es. I own one, as alluded to in prior post. Some say it's the best deck Sony made.

Audiophiletom

Post by Audiophiletom » 04 Feb 2018 19:20

Harmon Kardon cd-401 ,excellent in every way,I still have it.

clipperjay

Post by clipperjay » 25 Feb 2018 14:28

I have this AIWA F-990 needs new belts, but looks nice! :D

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Kj1YRircoQCxeQJk1
https://photos.app.goo.gl/8EZsUyaVbd4vE2eC2
I have a LUXMAN one not sure what model though..... :?:

themisto462
Germany

Post by themisto462 » 25 Feb 2018 14:55

clipperjay wrote:I have a LUXMAN one not sure what model though..... :?:
Maybe you could find the model here:

Luxman Cassette Deck Database

Regards.

clipperjay

Post by clipperjay » 25 Feb 2018 15:19

Thanks thermistor I meant to say I need to dig under loads of boxes and reach for it then excavate it out of the attic then peel back the bubble wrap and see what model it is, but I have so much to restore for my fathers sake I can only repair a few things at a time.
When I fix the Aiwa all it needs is belts, I'll start on the Luxman deck
I also have a Sony WM-D6 which is just been fixed! :)

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 25 Feb 2018 23:12

Sony TC-FX30. Mid 80's. Did/does a nice job, though nothing special. Not used for anything special.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 26 Feb 2018 03:07

lenjack wrote:Sony TC-FX30. Mid 80's. Did/does a nice job, though nothing special. Not used for anything special.
If you really want something special, lenjack...Look for a Sony TC-K model, specifically something with three heads! I have a TC-K620 that I bought a while back for like $50-60 that eventually I want to put into regular service...Of course, I have a really nice super-cheap Onkyo I'm playing with now for fun...Single well decks seem to be more desirable than the dual decks I've noticed and if you want to bring out your old mixtape collection sometime, you'll love all the added features...I still have all my old pre-recorded tapes and cassette singles, as well as the mixtapes I made, and it's nice to hear them on occasion! 1990 through 1995 were the years cassette technology was at it's peak...My older machines would sometimes eat my tapes when I was younger, but the newer three-head machines (with a little maintenance and upkeep, of course) don't seem to have that problem! :D

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 26 Feb 2018 04:23

Like a few others, I've had many decks, but the important thing is which ones still occupy space in my rack. Presently, I use a JVC TD-661 for daily listening, and a Denon DRM-800 for critical listening. Both near the top of their respective classes, and love them both. :)

Sterling1
United States of America

Post by Sterling1 » 01 Dec 2018 14:26

Here's a pic of my Sony TC-K959ES It's a flash shot so it did not capture led's but over-all I think it shows pretty well.
46078189642_676b2b3993_z.jpg
(37.68 KiB) Downloaded 72 times

Pauw
Netherlands

Post by Pauw » 01 Dec 2018 16:05

I have

A Pioneer CT 656
A Pioneer CT 449
An Onkyo TA 2000

and

An Onkyo TA 2700

I have had A NAD 6300 and A Proton 740

AudioFeline
Australia

Post by AudioFeline » 30 Jan 2019 12:55

My first cassette deck was a mono Sony portable unit, early 70's, which had stereo RCA inputs+outputs so it could be used as a tape deck, and auto-record and no Dolby. I thought it would be versatile, but even with my basic stereo record player had very disappointing quality. Couldn't wait to upgrade.

Dolby was a priority when I upgraded. Got an entry-level Sanyo. Got disenchanted with it when I didn't think it was recording properly, I now understand the lower playback levels was related to the tapes I was using.

Replaced this with a Harmon-Kardon. Speed was correct, took it to the distributor to fix. Eventually the technician invited me into his workshop so he could set the speed to my satisfaction. I expected that the distributor would use a calibrated tape fed into an oscilliscope. Nope. He was using a magnetic screw driver (so the speed was different when it was adjusting the motor to when the screwdriver was removed). In addition, he was adjusting to his ear, and no, he didn't have perfect pitch.

This was replaced by a new Sonab C500. Great European styling, a repacaged Nakamichi deck. Very good quality. Got it cheap when they went out of production. My deck developed a fault, and I took it to the dealer in Melbourne, who sent it to the distributor in Sydney to get repaired. The repair took a long time. A very long time, will little updates. After about a year, the dealer admitted that it had got lost between the two cities. I felt it was appropriate to have it replaced with a similar quality unit, would have accepted a good quality second-hand unit. However, the dealer would only give me the value of it as a trade-in, which would buy the entry-level deck. I was a poor student, and couldn't afford to pay any extra for a better model. It was pre-internet, so I had difficulty finding about my consumer rights. After another 9 months of arguing, I just took the entry-level deck (can't recall the make) so I could have a tape deck again and be done with it all. Really liked the Sonab.

The next upgrade was to a Yamaha K-950 (DolbyB). A friend had the K-960 (DolbyB and DBX NR), and I liked the quality. A hifi shop had a demo and damaged sale. I snapped up the K-950, but thought it was the 960 at the time. No regrets, it's been a nice machine and I still have it (it probably needs a service now).

Also have a Sony D6 Pro Walkman (the one with DolbyB, the next verion had Dolby C as well). A very nice portable, with a quality to rival good quality tape decks.

Dr_Wu
United States of America

Post by Dr_Wu » 30 Jan 2019 13:18

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/ZoIAAOSw ... s-l640.jpg
This was a great deck. Nikko Nd-1000

jusbe
Great Britain

Post by jusbe » 05 May 2019 16:52

scho2684 wrote:
16 Nov 2017 22:33
Teac A420
Sansui ??
Technics RS-B905
Nakamichi 580
Revox B710
Nakamichi CR-7E
And currently in possession:

IMG_0558.JPG

and

Nkamichi 480Z front small.jpg

and the almighty one:

1000ZXL.jpg
Never been that taken with the 1000ZXL, until I saw your photo. Trying to resist the urge to start wanting one. :shock: :)