Inner sleeves? Outer sleeves?

how clean is your house
beckett123

Inner sleeves? Outer sleeves?

Post by beckett123 » 06 Jan 2018 19:17

Hey guys - I've been doing some research and I can't really find a definitive answer on this. If anyone could help it would be much appreciated. How imperative are inner and/our outer sleeves, if I want to look after my records (and covers)? Does anyone have a brand they could recommend? I'm in the UK. Thanks :)

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Re: Inner sleeves? Outer sleeves?

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 06 Jan 2018 20:00

I'll just say that contrary to popular belief, most of us aren't as graceful and careful as we'd like to think, and things do go wrong occasionally. Although not essential, covers do make the process of maintaining records and covers a lot easier. We don't all have space for correct spacing of albums, and dust and assorted and sundry cosmic debris seems to be everywhere, targeting your record surfaces and styli.Cost is relative....starting from scratch on a large collection can be pricey, but maintaining the process thereafter isn't bad, considering the benefits to the collection as a whole. The covers themselves aren't particularly expensive, although shipping can be an important factor. Lots of purveyors online, suggest finding one close to you if possible. 8)

beckett123

Post by beckett123 » 06 Jan 2018 20:10

Thank you for the reply SpeakerMania, that's quite reassuring...getting started with vinyl can seem daunting! Am I right in thinking that a combination of the below would be a good start i.e. to protect the record with the inner sleeves and the outer sleeves protect the cover? I only have around 15-20 records so hopefully I can keep on top of it...

Inner sleeves: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mobile-Fidelit ... KQPJPYV844

Outer sleeves: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01BWRYAV4/ ... il_0?psc=1 or https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... 9MP6&psc=1

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 06 Jan 2018 20:41

That is the usual combination, and as you already know, there are a lot of different choices. Your personal taste and criteria will certainly come into play in what you finally order. I tend to be an uber functionalist, so I prefer the paper lp sleeves that have the label window and vinyl liners. The paper sleeve gives some substance to the sleeve and make it much easier to handle and re-insert in the outer sleeve, and the window...well, self explanatory really! I like a plain heavier vinyl outer (not re-sealable), which presents the fantastic album covers much better IMHO. I'm particular about having the opening on the lp sleeve at the top when reinserting into the outer, so a form of sealing occurs anyway. But hey, that's me, and as long as the effect is the same, make your own selections. The resealables are fine if you are just a collector and archiving the records, but a bit of a pain for anyone who actually enjoys playing the records. Likewise, the light plastic liners are often more trouble than they are worth because they wrinkle and fold too easily when handled. One more suggestion...give it some thought before you select...having all the same type of covers adds a lot to the collection in terms of presentation, as opposed to a random mix which can develop with time. Have fun with it, welcome to the site, and enjoy the new hobby! :D

Slavikcc
Canada

Post by Slavikcc » 06 Jan 2018 23:43

The Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs inner sleeves are perfect, especially after a nice wet clean!

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America
Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

Post by JDJX » 27 Jan 2018 13:41

I'll just say that contrary to popular belief, most of us aren't as graceful and careful as we'd like to think, and things do go wrong occasionally.........
Agreed :)

It's also inevitable that you will touch the outer lead in/modulated grooves at times...particularly when removing an LP from its inner sleeve.
So, it imperative that you make sure that you hands are very clean.
Even the natural skin "oils" on you hand can get on your LP.

So, I usually just quickly wash my hands before handeling any LPs . :)

Jonathan Vino

Post by Jonathan Vino » 28 Jan 2018 08:19

These guys make the best stuff out there. And the "Ultimate Audiophile" line is untouchable.

E.Man
long player
long player
Australia

Post by E.Man » 28 Jan 2018 23:43

I avoid plain paper sleeve since I've seen plenty of scuff marks on the record from them.

Just get a few to start with and see if you like that version.
All records should have some form of inner sleeve. I like to have an outer sleeve too.

marysdad

Post by marysdad » 29 Jan 2018 06:45

I use the MoFi inner sleeves and 2.5 mil Ultimate Outer sleeves from Sleeve City. I don’t like the outer sleeves with the fold-over flap. Just use plain outer sleeves.

reynolds617
United States of America

Post by reynolds617 » 10 Apr 2018 19:26

I use Sleeve City inners and outers. The outers do a better job displaying the artwork with less reflection, and the inners are slightly less pliable/flimsy than the MoFi inners making it easier to replace the records into the outer sleeves without crinkling/bending. It's a small point, but I've had both and prefer the Sleeve City inners for that reason alone. Quality of both is high, it just comes down to the details.

As far as I remember, the prices are comparable.

VinylT

Post by VinylT » 25 Apr 2018 19:38

I use mostly “Blake” sleeves for the jacket and for the vinyl.

The sleeves haven’t let me down yet.