New turntable from Audio Technica

always listening
Smoke Screen

New turntable from Audio Technica

Post by Smoke Screen » 27 Jan 2018 08:48

Just saw this on YT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UjLHv9tZsc

It`s called AT-LP7 and the new top turntable in the programm. They sell it as
an upgraded version of the LP5,which obviously sold well.
However,the LP7 has a belt drive,inbuilt MM/MC phonopre and VTA-adjustment added
to the tonearm that was taken over from the LP5.
The plinth is made from MDF and the platter a massive plasticdisc.
Still,its a rather lightweight deck with a bit over 5kG.
The price of 800 USD is way to much for this imho. But i guess they just want
to cash in on the LP5`s economical success i guess.
Well,personaly i think the old AT-LP240 still is the best deck that had the AT
name on it in recent years. This new one doesnt change that.
Any thoughts ?

Vinylfreak86
long player
long player

Re: New turntable from Audio Technica

Post by Vinylfreak86 » 27 Jan 2018 19:07

I don`t know how a belt drive could be upgrade from a direct-drive and this turntable is also not made by the same manufacturer. Hanpin doesn`t produce turntables like that, it is probably made by Yahorng in Taiwan.

BMRR
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by BMRR » 28 Jan 2018 14:19

Maybe they're trying to appeal to audiophiles who are prejudiced against direct drive. As we all know, there are a lot of audiophiles who refuse to own a direct drive turntable. :roll:

It looks like they are hoping to compete with Pro-Ject, Rega, et al. MDF plinth, solid non-metallic platter, etc.

I recently had a chance to use a Pro-Ject turntable for the first time (Debut Carbon DC) and I was very surprised and disappointed by the quality. I can actually say that some of the higher level Hanpin turntables I've used, such as the Onkyo CP-1050, Numark TTX, etc., have fewer defects and better fit-and-finish.

More info on the LP7: http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/turnt ... index.html

Vinylfreak86
long player
long player

Post by Vinylfreak86 » 28 Jan 2018 19:10

In a long term, chinese production of turntables can be a graveyard of western manufacturers. They are coming out with new designs, attractive shaped turntables for cheaper price. Flaws can be everywhere, even with german producers. Also Reloop has now Turn 2 and Turn 5 belt-drive turntables. To sell in 2018 a turntable, which don`t have electronic switch for speed, so you have to shift the belt with hands is simply stupid.

Tedrick
long player
long player

Post by Tedrick » 28 Jan 2018 22:39

BMRR wrote:Maybe they're trying to appeal to audiophiles who are prejudiced against direct drive. As we all know, there are a lot of audiophiles who refuse to own a direct drive turntable. :roll:
We also know there are an equal, if not greater, number of people who denigrate "audiophiles" and refuse to accept the fact that a well-implemented belt-drive 'table can be just as good as any direct drive 'table. In fact, there are very good examples of all three of the main drive systems (direct, belt, & idler), just as there are crappy examples of each.

And for the record, I own both belt- and direct-drive 'tables.

smee4
long player
long player

Post by smee4 » 28 Jan 2018 22:55

Tedrick wrote: And for the record, I own both belt- and direct-drive 'tables.

Good pun :) and I own and use all 3 regularly. I prefer the idler drive, but probably because it's my nicest table.

I am disappointed at the quality of a lot of modern tables when you consider the price. I really don't like the idea of MDF platters. Just from the video, that tonearm etc looks a bit plasticy - but I will wait until I see it in person.

Tedrick
long player
long player

Post by Tedrick » 29 Jan 2018 00:17

smee4 wrote:
Tedrick wrote: And for the record, I own both belt- and direct-drive 'tables.

Good pun :) and I own and use all 3 regularly. I prefer the idler drive, but probably because it's my nicest table.

I am disappointed at the quality of a lot of modern tables when you consider the price. I really don't like the idea of MDF platters. Just from the video, that tonearm etc looks a bit plasticy - but I will wait until I see it in person.
I agree with you 100%. I understand and accept that there have to be some compromises made to design a new 'table that will sell for less than US$1,000. However, some of the design choices that have been made, such as MDF platters, ferrous platters, tonearms with crappy or even non-existent bearings, and belt drive systems that can't maintain the proper speed to be unacceptable.

Slavikcc
Canada

Post by Slavikcc » 29 Jan 2018 13:04

The technical specifications for the AT-LP7 is not worth the $799USD MSRP with its signal-to-noise ratio being 60 dB, wow and flutter at 0.2%, and a not-so-weighty 11 pounds. That amount of money would be better off spending something new like say a Rega RP2 with a Performance Pack or a very nice used turntable elsewhere.

mythrenegade

Post by mythrenegade » 29 Jan 2018 17:48

It’s amazing that we’ve gone that far backwards. I have been looking at sub $500 tables on eBay with full automation, wow and flutter of .0015% and signal to noise of around 78db. Sure, with inflation they would have been around $1000 new, but nothing these days comes close.

Vinylfreak86
long player
long player

Post by Vinylfreak86 » 29 Jan 2018 21:03

mythrenegade wrote:It’s amazing that we’ve gone that far backwards. I have been looking at sub $500 tables on eBay with full automation, wow and flutter of .0015% and signal to noise of around 78db. Sure, with inflation they would have been around $1000 new, but nothing these days comes close.
Donate money to hifi corporations like Trump did to american corporations and you will get what you want. :D Their only interest is producing money and because it is some time ago when the last turntable was made in their own production line, they think that people forgot how the latest Denon or Hitachi looked like in 1985. But yes, some people forgot, much more of them were children or even not born at that time. So they are playing poker on this.

Smoke Screen

Post by Smoke Screen » 01 Feb 2018 23:11

Me thinks a product like the AT-LP7 is a typical example of how the
industry treats the vinyl trend: as a fashion. And it offers overpriced
fashion gadgets for it.

Vinylfreak86
long player
long player

Post by Vinylfreak86 » 02 Feb 2018 16:49

Smoke Screen wrote:Me thinks a product like the AT-LP7 is a typical example of how the
industry treats the vinyl trend: as a fashion. And it offers overpriced
fashion gadgets for it.
In some way, vinyl is fashion. Successful music producers have golden vinyl records hanged up on the walls, some people have old records mounted on walls. Unlike other formats, vinyl record can be very fashionable product. But yes, this audio-technika is not worth so much money, on technical level it is nothing superior.

Smoke Screen

Post by Smoke Screen » 03 Feb 2018 14:50

mythrenegade wrote:It’s amazing that we’ve gone that far backwards. I have been looking at sub $500 tables on eBay with full automation, wow and flutter of .0015% and signal to noise of around 78db. Sure, with inflation they would have been around $1000 new, but nothing these days comes close.
Yep,thats a thing that wonders me a bit. I mean meanwhile the tiny niche market is
obviously large enough that every year new and old firms release new poducts and want
a slice of the pie. However that neither results in a more favourable price/quality
ratio or rising product quality sparked by competition.

rich12

Post by rich12 » 03 Feb 2018 15:48

Most old turntables aren't going to meet their published specs without some service, and even then, they might not.

Smoke Screen

Post by Smoke Screen » 03 Feb 2018 18:38

rich12 wrote: Most old turntables aren't going to meet their published specs without some service, and even then, they might not.
Luckily basic parameters like speed deviation and SN are meanwhile easy to measure.
And so far at least my two old turntables from the 2nd half of the seventies have
no problem to live up to the specs. But yeah,servicing like a fresh belt,relubrication
and adjusting servo electronics to the producers specifics are needed.