Can't adjust speed on my Audio Technica anymore

always listening
aimee-l

Can't adjust speed on my Audio Technica anymore

Post by aimee-l » 29 Dec 2017 20:11

Hi everyone,

I currently own an Audio Technica AT-LP60 and I noticed it was playing slightly fast recently, so I decided to try and adjust the RPM using the holes at the bottom. I put the screwdriver in and turned the screw inside until I got it almost perfect, but I decided to keep going with it and it of course ended up being more off from 33rpm than before.

Now, when I try to turn the screw inside, there's nothing for me to turn, it almost feels like there isn't even a screw anymore. I couldn't have stripped the screw that easily, could I? Anyone else had this problem?

Thanks

Slavikcc
Canada

Re: Can't adjust speed on my Audio Technica anymore

Post by Slavikcc » 30 Dec 2017 14:07

The adjustable potentiometers are very fragile on the LP60 and it sounds like you may have permanently damaged it.

Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by Coffee Phil » 31 Dec 2017 22:07

Hi Aimee-1,

There is no service manual in the library for your machine. Audio Technica may be able to support you, but they may regard this machine as disposable.

Open the machine and shoot a picture of the damaged potentiometer and give us any numbers which you may find on it. Bourns likely makes a replacement part. With the info we may be able to help you find it.

Phil

aimee-l wrote:Hi everyone,

I currently own an Audio Technica AT-LP60 and I noticed it was playing slightly fast recently, so I decided to try and adjust the RPM using the holes at the bottom. I put the screwdriver in and turned the screw inside until I got it almost perfect, but I decided to keep going with it and it of course ended up being more off from 33rpm than before.

Now, when I try to turn the screw inside, there's nothing for me to turn, it almost feels like there isn't even a screw anymore. I couldn't have stripped the screw that easily, could I? Anyone else had this problem?

Thanks

rff000

Post by rff000 » 24 Dec 2018 15:30

I had a similar problem on a Thorens TD-203. The 33.3 speed was spinning too fast at 33.9. I attempted to slow it down by turning the screw, but the screw seemed to stop responding and then I couldn't even see it in the recess. It was still under warranty and the shop just told me that the potentiometer is broken and they are ordering a new motor for it. I asked them to set the speed. I don't want to go through this again. I assume you have to adjust it very carefully and slowly. I'm not even sure of what I did wrong or if it was damaged when I bought it new.

I just read that the speed should be set with the turntable level. When I did it, I tipped the table up and turned the screw with the plinth at an angle of something like 45 degrees. Could that have broken the pot or could it have been that I turned it too far in one direction?

Spinner45
long player
long player

Post by Spinner45 » 24 Dec 2018 16:49

Messing around with those extremely delicate servo adjustments will often result in damage.
Unless the proper type tool is used, carefully, you're headed for disaster and another endless thread of "omg what did I do?"
The machine has to be level, in proper condition, playing a record, with the strobe pattern visible.

rff000

Post by rff000 » 25 Dec 2018 14:02

I can't exactly understand why you can't turn the adjustment screw a tiny amount and then check the RPM each time after that, instead of doing it "live" and watching the RPM change in real time. I must have just turned the screw too hard in one direction. Why would doing it on angle cause it to break if the table was unplugged and not even rotating at the time of the screw adjustment?

Spinner45
long player
long player

Post by Spinner45 » 25 Dec 2018 17:25

rff000 wrote:
25 Dec 2018 14:02
I can't exactly understand why you can't turn the adjustment screw a tiny amount and then check the RPM each time after that, instead of doing it "live" and watching the RPM change in real time. I must have just turned the screw too hard in one direction. Why would doing it on angle cause it to break if the table was unplugged and not even rotating at the time of the screw adjustment?
Ok, I'll spell it out for you.
An insulated "alignment tool" with the proper tip is used while the platter is spinning, playing a record.
Insulated, because the metal adjustment "slot" is part of the circuitry, and shorting it to the motor case (which is usually at "ground" potential) with a metal tool can damage the internal speed control chip (IC), rendering the motor trashed.

It has to be done while actually playing a record because the slight "drag" or friction of the stylus in the record groove needs to be compensated for.
These use "weak" motors, inexpensive (cheap) and can be susceptable to being loaded down this way.

The above procedure is the way servicers have always done it, for obvious reasons.

rff000

Post by rff000 » 25 Dec 2018 22:22

Thanks for the explanation. It's very helpful. It also leads me to believe that the following statement in the owner's manual is woefully inadequate (and should have been something like your explanation):

Turntable adjustments
The platter speed can be adjusted by turning the
adjustment screws on the bottom of the motor cover.
➔ Fig. 4
The platter speeds are factory-adjusted. Any readjustment
of the speeds should be checked with the help
of a test record or a strobe disc.

(page 27 of the Thorens TD-202 owner's manual)

xaenon

Post by xaenon » 23 Mar 2019 07:36

I'll chime in on this. These turntables use the same basic motor and motor electronics as those cheapie 'suitcase' record players sold under the Crosley, Victrola, 1byOne, etc. brands. The only real difference is the motor might be of SLIGHTLY better quality (pure speculation, actually, but I notice in the LP60 it's made by Sankyo, and in the 'suitcase' jobs it's a brand called Hyejet), and the 'suitcase' setups usually (but not necessarily) have a circuitry modification that allows 78 rpm.

I have actually repaired and even 'upgraded' a couple LP60s and similar units by getting a replacement 'Crosley, etc.' harness and motor and swapping it in. Even this isn't a cost-effective repair, really, given that a new LP60 is about 100USD including shipping. The 78 rpm capability the swap provides is nice, as the player is reasonably gentle on vintage shellac discs, and it's also fairly easy to provide a pitch adjustment if you desire - though of course these 'upgrades' require physical modification to the unit.

These things are what they are - an inexpensive and disposable entry-level 'component' turntable. I advise anyone who buys one to just enjoy it, but to also immediately start keeping an eye out for something better, because under even moderate use, they seem to start acting up after about 2 years. Anyone contemplating a purchase of one of these is advised to get together a few more dollars and consider the LP120 or similar to be the more viable 'entry level' unit.

1770_ron

Post by 1770_ron » 24 Apr 2019 06:07

This is a very basic turntable made in China by Hanpin. As such, you should avoid frequently adjusting the speed control. If you are satisfied with the turntable's performance (I think it's an acceptable starter table), I can recommend the upgrade SuperVivid belt sold by LP Gear. It noticeably improves the LP60's speed stability and sound quality. It's not a fancy turntable but IMHO the belt upgrade is very worthwhile.