So what cassette decks have you had?

radio, tape, stands and accessories

willb

Re: So what cassette decks have you had?

Post by willb » 07 Nov 2017 20:20

Blimey Abril - you've had more tape decks than turntables! :shock:
Only ever owned 2 (and still have them).

Kenwood KX550hx - generally very good and despite showing it's age, still works fine once it's 'warmed up.' The track finder function can be a bit sticky before that.

Nakamichi DR8 - re-badged DR3 afaik - really good, more open and really likes metal tapes.

Friends of mine have several Naks - DR3, CR3, Cassette Deck 2 and a 30 year old Dennon DRM 44 - still running well. Seems to do everything but make the tea - just stick a tape in, run the auto test, set the levels and you're off.

abril
long player
long player
Georgia

Post by abril » 08 Nov 2017 20:15

Blimey Abril - you've had more tape decks than turntables! :shock:
Dunno about that - have to make up a list :wink:

PS
Forgot the Dual C814 and my foray into RR,an Akai 4000DB :lol:and my portable recorder a Casio DA7

abril
long player
long player
Georgia

Post by abril » 13 Nov 2017 14:04

Didn't take much finding to find problem with Nak 600,the flywheel was rocking and had I assume locked itself very slightly askew,of course no lubrication left after 40+ years #-o .
Removed the locking screw which has a slightly hollowed out end,lubricated it and reset it (needs 0.05 to 0.1mm clearance),seems to be running fine now.
Find out for sure when it is put back in the system and used :D

BMRR
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by BMRR » 16 Nov 2017 17:45

I found a harman/kardon TD262 at my local Goodwill store for $6. I haven't had a chance to test it yet, but it's in excellent cosmetic condition. Seems to be at least as good as my Onkyo in terms of specs and capabilities. MSRP in 1989 was $439!
Attachments
HARMAN-KARDON-TD262-cassette-Deck-301819835263.jpg
(139.34 KiB) Downloaded 257 times

raphaelmabo
long player
long player
Sweden

Post by raphaelmabo » 16 Nov 2017 18:34

I enjoyed my NAD 6340 for many years, a fantastic piece of art. Worked fantastic for almost 30 years, then it just you know, stopped... Well it runs, but nothing happens, probably need a new belt inside. Anyway, I replaced it recently with a Marantz SD-50. This one does not have the advanced features as the NAD have like bias adjust instead of pre-sets, no Dyneq or Play-Trim controls, but it plays cassettes in a nice way - and most importantly it looks goood together with my Marantz CD64 KI Signature (CD-Player). I got it for cheap, and it's in full working order, so a good buy.

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 16 Nov 2017 20:47

BMRR wrote:I found a harman/kardon TD262 at my local Goodwill store for $6. I haven't had a chance to test it yet, but it's in excellent cosmetic condition. Seems to be at least as good as my Onkyo in terms of specs and capabilities. MSRP in 1989 was $439!
It looks like you found a beautiful deck at a great price BMMR! 8)

scho2684
long player
long player

Post by scho2684 » 16 Nov 2017 22:33

Teac A420
Sansui ??
Technics RS-B905
Nakamichi 580
Revox B710
Nakamichi CR-7E
And currently in possession:
IMG_0558.JPG
(257.5 KiB) Downloaded 251 times
and
Nkamichi 480Z front small.jpg
(346.46 KiB) Downloaded 266 times
and the almighty one:
1000ZXL.jpg
(882.17 KiB) Downloaded 274 times

spunkerboybr

Post by spunkerboybr » 01 Dec 2017 15:00

All of a sudden, after over a year without even turning them on, I decided to play with my two cassette decks this week. These are the two decks I have - both of them were given for free to my dad by friends who didn't want them anymore.

- CCE CD6060 (rebadged Alpine/Alpage FL4100) (Internet picture)
https://http2.mlstatic.com/tape-deck-cc ... 2016-F.jpg

This is a very nice late 70s / early 80s model that was kind of successful down here in Brazil. I got it in 2006 and, although it operates smoothly, it needs some maintenance in order to really sing: a new belt (the current one makes some stiffer tapes run very unstably towards the end of the side) and service to check why the right channel plays slightly lower than the left one (I may do the latter this weekend).
The deck has an overall excellent recording quality for Type 1 and Type 2 tapes and a very warm sound, lacking a bit on the highs when compared to my second (and much better) even with perfect azimuth adjustment. The main reasons why I love this deck are its beauty and the big and sensitive VU meters.

- Pioneer CT-W704RS (Internet picture)
http://d2ydh70d4b5xgv.cloudfront.net/im ... a8362a.jpg

This is a 1990s model which I got back in 2008. It features Dolby S, FLEX and automatic Bias and EQ adjustments. Although its mechanics sound a bit too noisy to me, this is a very solid machine with outstanding sound quality that can make ordinary Type I tapes sound better than many Type IIs recorded in more modest machines (I have never owned a Type IV to talk about them...).
One other thing that annoys me about the Pioneer CT-W704RS is that it has somewhat odd azimuth alignment problems (it has always had this since I got it), and I have no clue on what causes this. Have a look at he following simple experience I (re)did yesterday. Comments are very much appreciated.
1) First, I used a reference recording done with a different tape deck (my currently damaged JVC 3-in-1) to align both cassette heads on the Pioneer. I have checked the alignment using Adobe Audition and ensured both were fine.
2) Then, I made a recording on a Sony UX using Pioneer's deck B. The recording sounded fantastic on it.
3) When I swapped the recording to Pioneer's deck A, it sounded muffled.
4) Repeating steps 2 and 3 with a BASF FE I led to the same results.
4) When I switched back to the recording that I used in step 1 for the alignment, both decks played fine, with sparkling treble.

BMRR
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by BMRR » 01 Dec 2017 15:18

I'm always nervous about auto-reverse decks because of the potential for head alignment problems. I wonder if that's the issue here, or if it's something else.

Slavikcc
Canada

Post by Slavikcc » 01 Dec 2017 15:24

The double well cassette tape decks do not seem to be as coveted as the single tape deck these days. Does it have to do with being more complicated to repair and replace the parts?

By the way, congrats on reaching 4,000 posts, BMRR!

BMRR
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by BMRR » 01 Dec 2017 15:38

Thank you! :D

My impression is that the manufacturers had a tendency to put more care and effort into their single decks than their double decks, and that is why the single decks are preferred by many audio enthusiasts. Many manufacturers also reserved their best-quality parts and components for their single decks, and used lesser-quality stuff in their double decks. Typically if you wanted sophisticated features like bias adjustment, you only found those features in the single decks, although there are some rare exceptions to that rule.

wolfie62
United States of America

Post by wolfie62 » 01 Dec 2017 20:47

I still use my Aiwa ADF 780 that I bought in 1989. Rock solid deck with all the calibration adjustments I need. 3 head, dual capstan, bias adjustments.
AIWA ADF 780.jpg
(6.37 KiB) Downloaded 212 times
1145043-aiwa-adf780.jpg
(302.92 KiB) Downloaded 221 times

spunkerboybr

Post by spunkerboybr » 03 Dec 2017 18:02

As intended, I reserved some hours of this weekend to play with my two cassette decks.
The Pioneer has had its azimuths realigned with Adobe Audition serving as a digital oscilloscope, and until now it has operated fine when using the CCE to check its recordings.
The CCE has also been through recalibration of its recording and playback levels and doesn't sport any channel imbalances anymore. Even though its belt is still OK, itdefinitely needs a replacement because, with some tapes, it still slips when reaching the end of the side.

Tim70_99

Post by Tim70_99 » 07 Dec 2017 23:10

In the past -

Hitachi D2310 - no Dolby, a bit plasticky, sound not too bad if you like hiss (which doesn't bother me now)....ended up in the skip. Liked Maxell UD and Prinzsound Professional tapes best (made by Maxell).

Aiwa AD3150K - variable bias, servo assisted controls, bass a bit limited. Stopped working, belts gone, went in the skip when I moved house......got lots of use recording borrowed albums and bits and pieces from the Friday Rock Show with the late, great, Tommy Vance. Variable bias allowed reasonable results from affordable tapes such as TDK D amongst others.

Current stuff -

Yamaha KX-580 - I'm sure that there are better decks around (at a price) but I need nothing better.

Sony TC-KB820S - possibly not quite as good as the Yamaha but plenty good enough for most.

JVC KDA-11 - free from a shop that was closing down, fast forward doesn't work and motor noisy, records and plays OK but it doesn't really interest me enough to attempt a repair.

Pioneer CTF-2121 - one of the best cheap decks of it's day. Belts replaced and fully functional but disappointing using Ferric tapes and playback amp seems rather noisy, presumably past it's best.

Akai CS34D - wanted one but could only afford the Hitachi at the time. Belts replaced and functions properly but recording is hit and miss with odd channel balance issues. I've cleaned the relevant switches but without luck. One day I'll look again.

All jolly good fun....