Denon DP maintenance

deeply dp
Pblb

Denon DP maintenance

Post by Pblb » 04 Nov 2017 19:03

Hi,

I have a DP-1700 turntable that I'm happy with. I've bought it 2nd hand but in excellent condition and works very well. I'm thinking whether there is something I need to do to keep it running, could you help? I'm thinking:
- Shall I oil the center shaft?
- Any lubricant needed for the tonearm?
- The tonearm is a bit dirty what is the best way to clean it?

thank you in advance for any advice,

Peter

Pblb

Re: Denon DP maintenance

Post by Pblb » 05 Nov 2017 11:01

I would appreciate any thoughts on the above. I'm looking for simple things I can do if needed (esp oiling the motor or similar), appreciate any help.

sturgus
United States of America

Post by sturgus » 09 Nov 2017 03:15

Re-cap it. Should be good for another 20 years.

captmark

Post by captmark » 10 Nov 2017 23:13

As Sturgus said a recap would be a nice thing to put on the short list-that model is coming up on 40 years old so unless it was played every day (which would invite other wear problems) those caps are on their golden years so to speak.

If you don't know how to pull the motor apart do some research before getting in there, there is a lower bearing that would benefit from some fresh lube. A little drop of Liquid Bearings or similar hi quality lube can be used there, and to put a little on the top at the spindle ring. Some Denon motors will let that oil seep in and lube the top, others won't, but no harm to try.

A 1700 has a pretty simple arm set up-you should be able to remove it and clean any contacts and lube any bearings. Be careful if you remove any pivot bearings to make sure you don't overtighten on reinstall-the biggest mistake DIY'ers do. Start with just a micro-fiber cloth and some general cleaner. If it is pitted, I use semi-chrome paste to polish the worse areas. And if it is pitted that's a sign of being in a humid climate, which reinforces the idea of changing out the cables mentioned below.

That speed control is notorious for getting dirty and effecting the table staying on speed-that's why newer models had a bypass/quartz lock circuit. While you're doing the recap, clean that pot and the front switch.

Upgrading the 40 year old oxidized audio cables would be a nice step-you don't have to go crazy here as even MOR cables being newer wire will see an improvement over the stock cables. see above if the table has signs of living in a humid climate.

Pblb

Post by Pblb » 11 Nov 2017 23:01

Thanks a lot to both, appreciate your replies!

EdAInWestOC
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by EdAInWestOC » 13 Nov 2017 20:30

Pull apart the drive motor and check the thrust pad and ball (I'm not certain its like this on that table but whatever the design of the bearing, check it out). The main bearing was designed to last for life but thats a fairly vague term. I don't think Denon intended it to last for 40 years. No bearing lasts that long, without service, and you can bet the main bearing on that table needs work.

At minimum it require cleaning and re-lubrication. Maybe the table sat unused for many years and you may get lucky, but the bearing stills need cleaning and re-lubeing.

The sound of the table is effected by a main bearing in poor condition.

Ed

Morguns1cam
United States of America

Post by Morguns1cam » 11 Feb 2019 01:26

These motors were very well made, a little light weight oil is probably all that it needs, I have a dp 1200 made in the late 70’s still going strong. Like the old saying goes, “ they don’t make em like that
Anymore”