What is your favorite Hifi brand?

radio, tape, stands and accessories
rewfew
long player
long player
Posts: 1135
Joined: 08 Mar 2009 17:50
Location: Kansas City Missouri

Re: What is your favorite Hifi brand?

Post by rewfew » 21 Oct 2017 23:28

I have really enjoyed the Kit brands I've put together over the years. Going back to the mid 80's. The Hafler 220 power amp, a fine sounding old workhorse I still use. I branched out in the early 00's and went tube. A local for me individual made a mark in the audio world by taming a tube topology considered unworkable for reliability but had a cult like status for uncanny holographic detail before the Futterman's tubes were consumed by it's over driven conditions. Bruce Rozenblit's, Transcendent OTL took the heat out of the circuit. And I'm still using the same tube set since soldering it up 17 years ago. To get the most out of it I built horn speakers by plans offered up free to any by Wayne Parham designer of Pi speakers. This combination of kit's, plans and a publication schematic inspired home brew preamp from the Transcendent line has satisfied any notion to improve my setup. Except a phono preamp upgrade soon with another Transcendent kit.

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada
Posts: 7171
Joined: 04 Feb 2011 21:00
Location: Pixie Hollow by The Bay

Re: What is your favorite Hifi brand?

Post by Tinkaroo » 28 Oct 2017 14:30

Turntable - Dual turntables. My first turntable was a PE built by Dual and I have owned several over the years. Their better quality models do what I like a turntable to do and I appreciate the full automatic models.

Amps and Receivers - Pioneer and Sansui. I like the better quality models from the 1970s which have classic styling and good build quality.

Speakers - Dynaco A-25, A25XL, A-40XL. I like the design and sound quality. For a budget speaker they were well designed and sound lovely to my ears. I can also use them in any setup.

Cassette Decks- I like my Nakamichi classic transport models such as the LX-5, ZX-7 and Dragon. I like the ability to make high quality recordings on type II cassettes and the good sound quality on playback. I do have a soft spot for Akai decks however.

recaptcha
member
member
Posts: 209
Joined: 12 Mar 2017 20:03

Re: What is your favorite Hifi brand?

Post by recaptcha » 28 Oct 2017 14:38

Tinkaroo wrote:Turntable - Dual turntables. My first turntable was a PE built by Dual and I have owned several over the years. Their better quality models do what I like a turntable to do and I appreciate the full automatic models.

Amps and Receivers - Pioneer and Sansui. I like the better quality models from the 1970s which have classic styling and good build quality.

Speakers - Dynaco A-25, A25XL, A-40XL. I like the design and sound quality. For a budget speaker they were well designed and sound lovely to my ears. I can also use them in any setup.

Cassette Decks- I like my Nakamichi classic transport models such as the LX-5, ZX-7 and Dragon. I like the ability to make high quality recordings on type II cassettes and the good sound quality on playback. I do have a soft spot for Akai decks however.
Excellent Brands, Tinkaroo! Pioneer and Sansui make killer amps. 8)

I have never used a Akai deck, but when I was researching decks, they were highly rated indeed.

Lazarus Short
senior member
senior member
Posts: 686
Joined: 27 Aug 2006 17:53
Location: Independence, Missouri (pronounced "Misery")

Re: What is your favorite Hifi brand?

Post by Lazarus Short » 29 Oct 2017 13:41

I've liked every item of Denon gear I've ever bought, so yes...Denon.

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada
Posts: 22626
Joined: 28 Oct 2002 04:24
Location: North of Toronto, Canada

Re: What is your favorite Hifi brand?

Post by Alec124c41 » 29 Oct 2017 21:23

Although I have some lovely pieces from a number of brands, going strictly by the number of pieces of Yamaha equipment that I own, Yamaha wins, hands down.

Cheers,
Alec

cats squirrel
long player
long player
England
Posts: 2323
Joined: 16 Dec 2008 17:13
Location: Glorious Devon, UK

Re: What is your favorite Hifi brand?

Post by cats squirrel » 29 Oct 2017 22:11

I suppose the brand I have most of is Cambridge Audio, two 640v2 amplifiers, 640P phono, cd pplayer, dvd player and loads of interconnects. Not to mention the P50 I started out with, in the late 60's

Brand most coveted is Goldmund, especially their cubic loudspeakers. I'll soon be building my own versions of them!

BoblK
member
member
Posts: 186
Joined: 07 Oct 2013 04:16
Location: Southwest Michigan

Re: What is your favorite Hifi brand?

Post by BoblK » 03 Nov 2017 02:09

Interesting question. I've only owned one turntable for 44 years. Dual 1229. So I guess that is my favorite. I've looked at others, but I didn't think the musical bang for the buck was there for me. Receivers/amps. The early to mid 1970's Marantz and Technics. Speakers are either M&K (the original M&Ks) or an old set of the original large Advents I restored in 2016 that I bought in 1973. Cassette deck: Nakamichi 3 head DR-2. I have a hard time telling if I'm listening to vinyl or a cassette on that deck so I'm very happy with it after 24 years of use.

AsOriginallyRecorded
senior member
senior member
Canada
Posts: 673
Joined: 26 Jun 2018 06:05

Re: What is your favorite Hifi brand?

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 03 Nov 2017 04:34

I find that a lot of people have a negative opinion of many generally well regarded brands based on their experience with equipment of an inferior quality but with once famous name brands on them. Anyone buying brand names after the early 90s is likely to have such experiences, but has little to do with the quality of the same brands some 15 to 20 years earlier. I'm totally into vintage equipment, so have not had those negative experiences, as almost everything I buy is from "the golden age" of hi-fi. Can't knock 'em if you never tried 'em! Everyone was competitive on a quality basis back then, not just a cost to manufacture basis. As a result, pretty much every vintage manufacturer has had some real gems in their past catalogues. To know them is to love them. Again, great topic, and some interesting, not too biased inputs. Dance to the music....whatever your brand! =D>

Spinner45
long player
long player
Posts: 2997
Joined: 01 Mar 2017 18:21

Re: What is your favorite Hifi brand?

Post by Spinner45 » 03 Nov 2017 06:05

SpeakerMania wrote:I find that a lot of people have a negative opinion of many generally well regarded brands based on their experience with equipment of an inferior quality but with once famous name brands on them. Anyone buying brand names after the early 90s is likely to have such experiences, but has little to do with the quality of the same brands some 15 to 20 years earlier. I'm totally into vintage equipment, so have not had those negative experiences, as almost everything I buy is from "the golden age" of hi-fi. Can't knock 'em if you never tried 'em! Everyone was competitive on a quality basis back then, not just a cost to manufacture basis. As a result, pretty much every vintage manufacturer has had some real gems in their past catalogues. To know them is to love them. Again, great topic, and some interesting, not too biased inputs. Dance to the music....whatever your brand! =D>
You're right on about that!
Those classics - Harman Kardon, Fisher, HH Scott, Dynaco, United Audio, Trio/Kenwood, among many others, built with pride and lasting value.
Shame that greed and cheapening took over.

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada
Posts: 7171
Joined: 04 Feb 2011 21:00
Location: Pixie Hollow by The Bay

Re: What is your favorite Hifi brand?

Post by Tinkaroo » 03 Nov 2017 10:45

Spinner45 wrote:
SpeakerMania wrote:I find that a lot of people have a negative opinion of many generally well regarded brands based on their experience with equipment of an inferior quality but with once famous name brands on them. Anyone buying brand names after the early 90s is likely to have such experiences, but has little to do with the quality of the same brands some 15 to 20 years earlier. I'm totally into vintage equipment, so have not had those negative experiences, as almost everything I buy is from "the golden age" of hi-fi. Can't knock 'em if you never tried 'em! Everyone was competitive on a quality basis back then, not just a cost to manufacture basis. As a result, pretty much every vintage manufacturer has had some real gems in their past catalogues. To know them is to love them. Again, great topic, and some interesting, not too biased inputs. Dance to the music....whatever your brand! =D>
You're right on about that!
Those classics - Harman Kardon, Fisher, HH Scott, Dynaco, United Audio, Trio/Kenwood, among many others, built with pride and lasting value.
Shame that greed and cheapening took over.
One factor in the cheapening of equipment in the late 1970s and early 80s was the inflation of the Japanese Yen which meant it would have cost a lot more to produce some of the same quality equipment at an affordable price.

As time went on many also started to use circuit boards and chips to the point that all the equipment from different manufacturers sounded the same.

Now in the present day much of the equipment being made becomes disposable if anything goes wrong with it since service is hard to find and will outweigh the cost of a similar replacement piece. #-o

bikeman715
Posts: 1
Joined: 10 Nov 2017 01:10

Re: What is your favorite Hifi brand?

Post by bikeman715 » 11 Nov 2017 04:51

I always use Pioneer.

Tonybro
long player
long player
Great Britain
Posts: 1991
Joined: 01 May 2014 16:44
Location: Lancashire

Re: What is your favorite Hifi brand?

Post by Tonybro » 11 Nov 2017 09:17

I've had a varied mix over the years but for the last 20 years or so my main amps have been Musical Fidelity (MF). Not cheap, not always the best but very, very good.

I have used the MF X-Series components for many years which are very different to look at compared to conventional hi-fi.

I have : -

X-A2 Integrated Amp (boxed, in storage)
X-AS100 Power Amp (dual mono) (boxed, in storage)
X-AmpsSml.jpg
X-Series Amps
(36 KiB) Downloaded 128 times
These have been replaced by a Musical Fidelity A3 Dual Mono amp so the two amps above are available if anyone wants to make sensible offers (UK only). :wink:

X-LPS MM/MC Phono Amp
X-24K DAC (96/24)
X-PSU - external PSU provides power to other X-series components

MF A3 CD Player

I also have attached to my PC: -

Musical Fidelity - The Preamp
Musical Fidelity Typhoon Power Amp
I have a second Typhoon Power Amp in its box from when these were my main system and used in Bridged Mono mode.

On the AV side I've tended to stick with Denon - as they can be quite musical too.

Tarzan
member
member
Posts: 189
Joined: 11 Jan 2014 13:45

Re: What is your favorite Hifi brand?

Post by Tarzan » 12 Nov 2017 09:39

At the moment as l have a couple of their bits would be Audionote, the Arm 1 is off the charts for value for money, then my ANK-LX loudpeakers in beautiful Palisander, these also sound terrific. :mrgreen:

mythrenegade
member
member
Posts: 238
Joined: 07 Jan 2009 20:44
Location: Lititz, PA

Re: What is your favorite Hifi brand?

Post by mythrenegade » 20 Nov 2017 06:47

Denon. Been a huge fan for years. I have a receiver in my bedroom I bought 25+ years ago, an AVR-3805 powering my surround sound living room, and another modern Denon driving the Bose 301’s that inhabit my garage.

Might have just accidentally bought a 2560 CD Player on eBay. I’ll let you know how that is after I sneak it into the house ;-)

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada
Posts: 7171
Joined: 04 Feb 2011 21:00
Location: Pixie Hollow by The Bay

Re: What is your favorite Hifi brand?

Post by Tinkaroo » 20 Nov 2017 11:55

mythrenegade wrote:Denon. Been a huge fan for years. I have a receiver in my bedroom I bought 25+ years ago, an AVR-3805 powering my surround sound living room, and another modern Denon driving the Bose 301’s that inhabit my garage.

Might have just accidentally bought a 2560 CD Player on eBay. I’ll let you know how that is after I sneak it into the house ;-)
I would be interested in hearing your impressions on the DCD-2560 CD player that you accidentally bought after you get it.

I've had one since new paired with my Denon PMA-1080R amp. Neither has let me down yet.