My new alignment template generator

the thin end of the wedge
Jimbuy

Re: My new alignment template generator

Post by Jimbuy » 23 May 2017 14:57

northa40 wrote:The only way I get good results is by using the longest head shell I have and than all is good. I found this out when I purchased a new cartridge and thought I would change the head shell as well. Surprise, I couldn't get it line up, I had to switch back. Lots of fun.
When you say 'good results' do you mean by eye or by ear?

northa40

Post by northa40 » 23 May 2017 18:03

Quite happy with both. I WILL TRY TO POST A PIC OF THE ALIGNMENT PROTRACTOR, both THE HEYBROOK AND THE CUSTOM ARC PROTRACTOR. I am using 205 mm center to pivot. THE CARTRIDGE IS A TONAR E-FLIP(AT251e) WHICH IS A AT3600 WITH AN ELIPTICAL STYLUS AND A FLIP DOWN GUARD. On my Paradigm Studio 80's the cartridge is very bright sounding with punchy bass, not extremely low but quite adequate. But the turntable is going on an older system, vintage you might say with Akai speakers. On that system I need to increase the treble and bass 2 notches each. Considering the cost of this cartridge performance is very good.

northa40

Post by northa40 » 23 May 2017 23:54

DSC05009.JPG
Stevenson 205 mm center to pivot
(164.94 KiB) Downloaded 1273 times
DSC05008.JPG
outer null
(163.99 KiB) Downloaded 1258 times
DSC05007.JPG
inner null
(163.74 KiB) Downloaded 1229 times
Here are some pics of the cartridge alignment and protractor I am using. Notice the position of the cartridge right to the end and slightly tipped in. It is hard to get the camera completely over center, but I am very close. The table is a KD-3055 and the cartridge is a Tonar E-Flip AT251e, same as AT3600. The stylus is interchangeable with my old Signet Model 100. Which was a AT3600 with a Blue coloured elliptical stylus.

WHAMMO_63

Post by WHAMMO_63 » 05 Jul 2017 11:22

I have a Q about this tool. I measured the pivot to spindle of my Yamaha YP-B2 and got 199mm. I plugged that in and along with lofgren A and DIN and the generated printout says 18mm+ for overhang. The problem is the Manual insists the overhang should specifically be 16mm. What should I do?

Japi Roelofs
long player
long player
Netherlands

Post by Japi Roelofs » 05 Jul 2017 12:30

WHAMMO_63 wrote:I have a Q about this tool. I measured the pivot to spindle of my Yamaha YP-B2 and got 199mm. I plugged that in and along with lofgren A and DIN and the generated printout says 18mm+ for overhang. The problem is the Manual insists the overhang should specifically be 16mm. What should I do?
You either ignore the manual, or you use Stevenson + DIN (this will result in 16 mm overhang) instead of Lofgren A + DIN.

Both options will result in proper alignment. The main difference is that Stevenson puts the inner null point at the most inner groove, while Lofgren puts it a few mm outwards.

northa40

Post by northa40 » 05 Jul 2017 17:59

Totally in agreement with Japi. The important part here is to have alignment at 2 set null points. Some arms are not long enough to accommodate certain alignment geometry, so stick with the factory Stevenson and the 16mm overhang. Keep it simple, but not too simple. Cheers

WHAMMO_63

Post by WHAMMO_63 » 05 Jul 2017 23:00

I guess I'll go with the Stevenson + DIN then until I'm ready to experiment.

Thanks to both of you for your wise counsel :)

scho2684
long player
long player

Post by scho2684 » 09 Jul 2017 19:53

Question for Conrad:
It might come in handy to print a few extra arcs on there, each 1mm seperated...
Like that you can see aprox the amount of distance you still have to move the cartridge...

Conrad Hoffman

Post by Conrad Hoffman » 09 Jul 2017 21:00

Good idea, never thought of it. The cartridge grid has double lines because the eye is very good at splitting the difference between two lines. I'll see if I can add it next time I look at the code. In all honesty, I work on this so rarely I'm afraid of messing it up!

wolfie62
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by wolfie62 » 16 Jul 2017 09:11

Just used your alignment protractor, Conrad!

Last weekend I aligned my Shure V15-RS on my small Denon DP15F using the Shure protractor that came with my M97xE. I was still getting some sibilance on some records.

On another thread, several folks said to use the Conrad design. So, I looked at a Youtube video, then downloaded your program. I thought I was going to have problems since my printer does not have a scale function. After I looked at the inputs on your program, I saw you included the scaling for us. No matter....measuring the 10 mm bar, it is DEAD ACCURATE STRAIGHT FROM THE PRINTER!

End result: I had to move the cart in the headshell about 2 mm from the setting for the Shure protractor, away from the pivot point. I decided on the Stevenson and DIN, because it resulted in an overhang very close to specified 16 mm for my Denon. I played a few problematic records....Sibilance GONE! Smooth and detailed! =D> :shock:

Once I got the arc lined up with my stylus, and vice versa....everything lined up perfectly! Both positions lined up. I am truly AMAZED! :o :shock: =D> I thought this was going to be an intimidating process....but it was EASIER than the dummy 2 point protractors I had been using since 1981.

http://i1250.photobucket.com/albums/hh5 ... h42yp1.jpg

http://i1250.photobucket.com/albums/hh5 ... veh4rj.jpg

wolfie62
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by wolfie62 » 18 Jul 2017 04:54

I just re-aligned using the Lofgren B DIN on my Denon TT. I did this in response to the link that JaS posted, to show the different distortion results from different alignments. For my TT, and my tastes, Lofgren B DIN is the best.

Had to slide the cart all the way out on the headshell slots till it was butted against the end of the slots, away from the pivot point. But, it lined up perfectly again!

Just put on my most sensitive LP for sibilance in vocals, strings and small chimes/high pitched symbols. I must say it has never sounded better! Noticeably cleaner and smoother!

I know it's been said before, but let me just echo my appreciation to JaS for his distortion charts, and Hoffman for the protractor!!

Both of those are singular accomplishments and represent a labor of love, I'm sure!

Thank you both!

(And all the folks who have recommended doing those alignments, or using them to check OEM gauges!!)

contented

Post by contented » 22 Aug 2017 14:59

Conrad Hoffman wrote:Ok, I admit it. I tested this on the unsuspecting folks at the asylum first. After a few revisions, here's my cartridge arc alignment template and strobe disk generator. It's far smaller than bitmaps of the same thing, plus you can choose your specific pivot-to-spindle distance, groove radius and alignment strategy choice. It also prints pretty darn nice strobe disks. Freeware, no viri, no strings attached. Please let me know what you think.

http://www.conradhoffman.com/chsw.htm
Hi Have just downloaded your alignment invention but have had files blocked as being harmful to the computer. Can you confirm all is well to go ahead.
Many thanks contented.

Conrad Hoffman

Post by Conrad Hoffman » 23 Aug 2017 04:26

Just grabbed it off my site and checked it, no problems. Any newer system will question you on simple utilities like this, where there's no security, manifest or installer. I would, of course, be wary if you get the files from any other site.

studiord

Post by studiord » 06 Oct 2017 08:42

Conrad Hoffman wrote:Just grabbed it off my site and checked it, no problems. Any newer system will question you on simple utilities like this, where there's no security, manifest or installer. I would, of course, be wary if you get the files from any other site.
Do you have a program for MAC as well?

willy3240

Post by willy3240 » 06 Oct 2017 14:03

Hi every one ,

just like studiord, i am looking and searching for a Mac program as well !
in my case : a Lenco L78SE (s-shaped arm) spindel to pivot = 200mm ,would like to download a protractor too

cheers,

willy