the home of the turntable

Shure m97xe (w/ LP Gear N97xVL Vivid Stylus) vs Nagaoka MP-1

the thin end of the wedge

Shure m97xe (w/ LP Gear N97xVL Vivid Stylus) vs Nagaoka MP-1

Postby beastmittens » 10 Jan 2017 17:50

I currently have the Shure m97xe with the upgraded Vivid Line N97xVL stylus from LP Gear. Lately I have been reading a lot of great things about the Nagaoka MP-110 cartridge and am quite intrigued by it. I haven't seen any threads about comparing the Shure with this particular stylus to the Nagaoka. Has anybody here compared these two? Do you think the Nagaoka would be an improvement to my upgraded m97xe? Your opinions are much appreciated!
beastmittens

United States of America

Re: Shure m97xe (w/ LP Gear N97xVL Vivid Stylus) vs Nagaoka

Postby Timberwolf530 » 10 Jan 2017 20:26

I can't comment on the Nagaoka, but if you don't mind, could I could pick your brain a minute on something? I just ordered an N97xvl today, and was wondering if you comment on what I can expect compared to the stock stylus on the M97. Have you been happy with it? Would you buy it again?
Timberwolf530

United States of America

Postby beastmittens » 10 Jan 2017 20:53

The Vivid sounds very good to me, although on my system there wasn't a night and day difference between it and the stock stylus. It's more of a subtle improvement to my ears. Is it better? Yes. Is it worth the extra money? Not so sure. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on it after you get a chance to try it out.
beastmittens

United States of America

Postby Timberwolf530 » 10 Jan 2017 22:53

I've heard your point of view, and I've heard some say it made a big difference. At least I've never heard anyone say it's worse. I'll let you know what I think after I've had some time to spend with it.
Timberwolf530

United States of America

Postby 4Play » 11 Jan 2017 01:49

The N97xVL Vivid stylus performs much better than the Jico S.A.S., which makes the Vivid the better price:performance ratio. IIRC, the price for the Jico S.A.S. is around $290 where the Vivid is around $115. Some reviews I have read state the Vivid is a drastic difference from the Jico.

When I can afford it, I will be adding a Nagaoka to my cartridge selection. I'm not sure how Shure and Nagaoka rank in the cartridge hierarchy.
4Play

United States of America

Postby beastmittens » 11 Jan 2017 14:51

Thanks to everybody who responded on this thread!
beastmittens

United States of America

Postby katana1100 » 11 Jan 2017 18:16

"The N97xVL Vivid stylus performs much better than the Jico S.A.S., which makes the Vivid the better price:performance ratio"

That's a stretch- you're saying a stylus with a boron (old style, that's what i got) with a better diamond tip can't keep up with a hyper elliptical tip attached to an aluminum cantalever.
I have SAS, Vivid, 97xe oem and Shure New Era 97 elliptical. In sibilance, SAS is best at less of it.SAS is also most detailed, similar to my AT 09cII.
The vl is not as detailed, but has warm pleasing sound.It compares very well to new era 97, better than 97xe.
In light of how much they want for a VL (it has doubled), I no longer recommend it as a bargain. I think you are better off looking for a 80's era 97 new era ellip. They have a telescopic shank, sound better than 97 xe, comparable to the VL, but maybe $40 less if you find one, plus the brush works better.
I have one on my carbon arm equipped Sanyo q60 that is the warp wizard for all used records that are tweeked or warped.
katana1100

Postby JDJX » 11 Jan 2017 20:11

FWIW......

I got a M97xE on my Thorens 165.
In fact I just got a new Shure stylus for it as the old one has over two years of use and has about 1,000 hours on it.

After making two extremely minor adjustments to accommodate the new stylus (as we all should check things when replacing a stylus) the new stylus sounds noticeably better, and it is not even broken in yet.
BTW, I never got any IGD with either cartridge.
I am a bit fanatical with cartridge mounting/alignment. :)

My point is just replacing a stylus with even the same kind can make a TT sound better. It's sort of like just how replacing spark plugs on a car with the same kind can improve performance, even if just subtly.
We must be aware that any subtle improvement, no matter what stylus you replace one with is not just due to the replacement being new.

Also, while back I got a Jico SAS for it.
However, no mater how hard I tried, it always sounded a bit shrill.
So, I went back to the shure stylus.
Perhaps the SAS is a bad match for the Thorens T-11 arm?
*Thorens 165 with M97xE
*Lounge Audio phono pre
*NAD C-350 amp
JDJX
long player
long player

Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

United States of America

Postby katana1100 » 12 Jan 2017 07:25

Blame the vta. I don't think it's adjustable on the 165.
Unless you played with different mats of different thicknesses,
you have a vta problem. Micro line tips are notorious for being
hard to dial in.
But, it's worth it.
katana1100

Return to Cartridges and Preamps